1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HolyKow!! Susan Boyle

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Wildkow, Apr 16, 2009.

1. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey Bev, Good to have you on board, now I just need to get you in a Prius. :)

I hardly ever watch these shows so I am no expert. I couldn't tell you the names of more than a couple of stars who started out on a reality/talent show. I could be wrong about Susan and if I'm not, shame on the people in her church for keeping this voice to themselves all this time. I hope she goes great guns.

I'm not saying through that these shows don't provide a vehicle to people with performance talent to be noticed by promoters and recording companies because they do and that is a great thing, what I am saying is a "rags to riches" story and performers like Susan and Paul boost the appeal of these shows and I just wonder if the producers play on this some?

I have noticed that on the few shows I have seen, usually early in the series the people who are on the show but fail to impress do something that seems outrageous or eye catching. It might be they are just ultra bad or they dress strangely or something. Is there a brief pre-audition so the stars (judges) of the show and the audience don't sit through hours of boring crap to find these entertaining failures intermixed with people who have actual talent? In these pre-auditions is it possible people like Susan are picked up and make-up artists might perform a touch-up or two to make them look like your about to hear one of the clowns of the audition then BAM!! The voice of an angel comes out.

Another wonderful thing about these shows is the contestants are not left to their own devices as the number go down. As the pressure builds on the contestants the judges mentor the contestants to improve not just their singing but their stage craft and grooming, making it inevitable that someone like Susan will look different at her final performance than on her first. That is as long as the contestant will take advice. Now I'm not going to watch the show, but I hope to keep track of Susan's progress, I hope I have to keep track for a long time.

2. bevspark

bevspark Toyota, Major Sponsors of The

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes I agree, I also look forward to seeing her progress. I was a bit harsh on your forum the other day. I think I over reacted. (Having a bad day).
    I have been in a Prius remember, even drove it around the block. Certainly different. I bet you are looking forward to your next purchase.

3. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hi bevspark welcome to priuschat! :welcome:

Wildkow

4. bevspark

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Thanks from down under

5. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    So it's a downer that I actually wanted to hear her sing, rather than the noise of the boors in the audience who have such a short attention span that they cannot even wait for her to finish before they show their appreciation??? Yeah, for you I suppose it would be. Any excuse to get in an insult.

6. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Daniel, have you been in a movie theater lately? Nowadays people forget that they're no longer in their living rooms.

7. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I can't actually remember when was the last time I was in a movie theater. I think I've been to a movie since I moved to Spokane, but I forget exactly when or which movie. When I lived in Fargo I sometimes went to movies with an informal group from my church. (Unitarian Universalist, the only church without a religion, where instead of telling you what top believe, they tell you to think for yourself and make up your own mind, and where believers of all different faiths and atheists openly discuss ideas relevant to our nation and our world.)

Mostly I watch movies at home, where I can pause them to go to the bathroom, or do something else and resume them later.

8. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've learned from the best haven't I? ;) Really I was just trying to point out your general negative attitude concerning just about everything and the difficulty and hassle of reentering the dating scene, at your age, in a land not known for its abundance of wimmen folk, not to mention your liberal proclivities and questionable morals. If it wasn't for your stunning good looks I'd say you had no chance whatsoever.

Query: when your date turns her backside to you and asks if her outfit makes her look fat your response would be?

I'd apologize for the insult but try to think of it as constructive criticism, K? :rolleyes:

Wildkow

9. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Daniel, we are talking amateur performers and the audience reaction is like food to a performer. A professional opera singer will live on the applause of the last show until the end of the next, they also feed off a different type of reaction, one of silent appreciation rather than raucous applause during a performance. This different reaction in different audiences has little to nothing to do with attention spans but what the audience is accustomed to. I expect an amateur singer who was performing for the first time before a big crowd of strangers would lift off the cheers and clapping of the audience and the atmosphere in the auditorium improved by being filled with happy people rather than technical listening, music snobs. The cheering was a reaction to something no one in the room expected, it didn't detract from the entertainment of the performance and I'm certain the technical music snobs will have their chance to enjoy the performance of Susan Boyle in their own special way soon enough when her CD comes out. That will allow music snobs to sit alone in the isolation of their homes to shun the world at large and its population of boors (as opposed to bores) and listen to the finer nuances of her voice over sound systems made by B&O, Bose, Warfdale and the like. The rest of us, who can appreciate a performance for its entertainment value get to enjoy it now.

(Please excuse that I know jack about fine sound systems.:))

Hey Bev, you were fine, I can take it. Don't let it happen again :D

10. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    (Relatives of mine, don't read this. This is dreadful but funny)
    Correct answer: - No. But a diet high in fats and calories and a lack of exercise does. :D

(I feel ashamed of myself now.)

11. bevspark

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

OK, I didn't read it.:rolleyes:

12. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My answer would be: "No. And why do you care?" And if she asked for clarification, I'd point out that clothing does not make you look fat or thin. Fat, or the lack of it, makes you look fat or thin. And I'd tell her I like her, and anyway if she was Miss Washington State she wouldn't be going out with an ugly old fart like me, so let's stop worrying about what she looks like and talk instead about what fun places she'd like to go.

But it's very unlikely I'd be going out with someone who picks her clothes based on whether or not they make her look fat. I'd be more likely to date someone who deals with real or perceived fat by exercising rather than by trying to pick an outfit that hides it, or someone who accepts herself as she is.

Crazy Ana never asked me if her clothing made her look fat. When she thought she was overweight, she went on a diet. She was in fact overweight. She was also not very good looking. I never told her either of those two things. But then, we only "dated" for a few days, and after that we were friends.

But perhaps your point is that I lack social skills. And that's true.

13. bevspark

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    She just gets better and better. Well done Susan, you have lots of fans around the world.:cheer2:

14. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

Kuddos to her. Susan has a voice, no doubt. But, from my point of view she has impeccable timing. That is, when she first burst onto the scene the world was at the brink of world-wide depression and Susan stepped up and gave us all a little hope that perhaps things are going to be ok. One could attribute the aversion of the WW-depression to...Susan Boyle.

15. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

2 people like this.
  16. bevspark

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Heavy!! Maybe she did come along at the right time. Good for her.

17. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  18. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Dogfriend, thanks for the Youtube post!!!

Susan B truly amazing, good for her!

19. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  20. bevspark

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    She gave it her best shot. I don't think we have seen the last of her, unless she decides she has had enough of the spot light.