1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Home Solar panels

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by Tadashi, Feb 12, 2007.

1. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm taking the plunge. I've applied for a home equity loan. I'll be putting in solar and I'll be replacing my driveway.

I'm considering both advancedsolarelectric and Borrego for the solar.

Advanced Solar Electric

Borrego Solar

I'll probably have both come out to give me estimates and perform their spiel. Then end up going with whoever gets it installed before the end of the year so I can get the tax credit.

For the driveway, I'd like to use Hastings: checker block.

green pavers

Comparing systems table

I've already got my microsprinkler system running out that way so extending it and adding some small microsprinkler heads around the edges to water won't be a problem. I'm thinking maybe korean grass. Maybe even mix in a little dicondra in spots. I want something I don't have to mow. It will get driven on twice a day, out in the morning and in in the evening. Even if I have to tire paths the rest will still be relatively green and better than the cracked concrete I have now. I have two very large pots I'll like to place out there with plants in them. They'll also be on the drip system.

I may have someone come out to give me a consultation on the on-demand system given what I've read above. I don't know what my gas line is but it isn't dedicated to the water heater and if I have to lay a new line...forget that. My water heater is in a closet in the kitchen so it doesn't have a blanket and I don't worry about temperature. The flew goes straight up through the attic but I'd like to use the existing one. The house is built way before 1990 (like 1922?) so I deal with what I have. I will not bastardize it too severely so if it doesn't work...too bad.

I have all of the original windows and will be keeping them. I've done some reading and the savings in either replacing the glass or replacing all of the windows doesn't save much. Plus I've read the original windows will last a lot longer than anything I replace them with. New windows will probably last about 20 years. The current windows are already 85 years old and in great shape. It's San Diego so it's not like I'm going through Buffalo NY winters or Phoenix AZ summers.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good for you on the Solar...I'd like to, but the incentives in MO suck and the cost would be prohibitive at this point...plus, we intend to sell the house before we'd pay back the investment on a solar system.

What's the deal with the driveway though? Does it need replacement anyway and you're just going with something a little more natural looking or is there some good enviro reason to rip it up?

3. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jun 24 2007, 12:59 PM) [snapback]467291[/snapback]</div>
    Yes. It needs to be replaced. It has some large cracks and there are places where the surface has worn off/ chipped off down to the aggregate. It really needed to be replaced when I moved in in 1987. I put it off because I could still drive on it and it's in the alley where no one sees it. As long as I've got the loan for the solar, I'm doing the driveway too. I'll replace it, put out my two really large pots and it will be pretty and my home value will go up. I saw the checker block stuff at the Home Depot by my parents' house so I know I can get it locally. As long as I'm replacing the driveway I'm adding some plants to be greener than another concrete slab. And....I'll be putting in a special doorbell on the garage. It's an old school fire alarm. After that, my parents can parallel park on my driveway and then ring the bell for me to come out and open the gate for them. Neighbors? Well, I have to listen to their really awful ranchero music all hours of the day. I really don't care if they are annoyed by the fire alarm doorbell. Looking forward to it in fact. Not that my parents visit me that often. But if I can get the driveway done so they have a place to park maybe they will. BTW the doorbell will be behind an italian cypress I'll be planting in the big pot so it will not be noticeable and hopefully will not invite constant poking by the local adolescents.

I'll be taking before, during and after pictures so everyone can enjoy.

4. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Good on ya, Godiva. I'm looking forward to seeing the pics.

5. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jun 24 2007, 12:55 PM) [snapback]467290[/snapback]</div>
    I actually used advancedsolarelectric. They were great, but aren't they kind of far for you? I'd be surprised to see them go 2.5 hours to install in san diego.

6. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Jun 25 2007, 07:14 PM) [snapback]467935[/snapback]</div>
    I didn't check their location. I have a list of I'll be calling and added them to that list on the recommendation here. If they're too far, I'm sure they'll either say so or their bid will be too high.

7. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats Godiva. When you get a chance as your installed about the Federal Rebate. I have only found it to be $2k but my sister was told it was just amended to be $2k per kW. Not sure if she got the wrong info or the new info has not hit the Internet yet.

8. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    $2.50 per watt from California Solar Initiative. And I own my REC, I guess in case I can sell excess in the future should I choose to do so. I am not required to sell but can keep all I generate.

"California Solar Initiative incentives, combined with federal tax incentives, can cover up to 50 percent of the total cost of a solar system."

"In addition to rebates available through the California Solar Initiative, you can save by taking up to $2,000 in Federal income tax deductions - up to 20% of net installed cost by installing solar electric power. You can also deduct for purchasing a range of energy-efficient products and systems."

9. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Jun 25 2007, 07:14 PM) [snapback]467935[/snapback]</div>
    Ah. It's not Advanced Solar Electric. It's Advanced Solar Technologies. They're on the list of accepted installers for the rebate program along with Borrego.

Advanced Solar Technologies

10. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jun 27 2007, 04:16 PM) [snapback]469046[/snapback]</div>
    That makes more sense. Good luck!

11. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Just got off the phone with Borrego solar.

He loves my roof. He got an aerial view from msn but I sent him to my website where I have photos of the front and back yard work that show the house. I've got the perfect roof for solar. But I knew that.

At any rate I'm looking at about 18 panels. After rebate cost is $16,000-$21,000.

No waiting and takes about 3 days to install.

As soon as the loan comes through I'm good. I'm hoping it will be up and running by the end of July.

I do have to pay a rental fee for my electrical meter from SDGE. Works about to about $2.50 a month. And they don't buy back any excess power you generate. Yet. But I'm hoping some day in the future they will. If they do, adding panels to my roof is easy and I've got enough space to double the size of my array if I desire.

Future projects include solar water and or on-demand water heater.

I'll show before, during and after pics of the solar and then the driveway when I get that going.

12. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    update - The solar installers finally showed up now that the rains have stopped (knock on wood). It took them 3 days to install the solar water system. Basically, this system uses an 80-gal water heater but when it detects a 12 deg increase in temp it will start pumping a fluid to the thermal cells which will transfer heat to the water in the water heater through a heat exchanger. The pumps shut off when the temp diff is 4 deg. It is pretty neat. It is suppose to cut the bill about around 400 kwh a month.

They will begin to install the PV panels tomorrow. I am getting 36 x 180 watt panels for about a 6.5 kW system. I will post pictures when it is all done. I cannot wait to see how little my next utility bill will be.

13. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Kudos to both of you! So Tadashi, you had (have) and electric water heater? Isn't it amazing how much energy they use? 400 kWh will power our entire house (1300sqft, 3 bdrm, 4 people) most months of the year! Can't wait to see the pics.

14. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I went with Borrego Solar.

I'll be signing my papers tomorrow. The system will be in before the end of August but the final inspection may not be done by then because they're several weeks behind.

I'm getting a 2.5 kwh system. Cost up front is: $23,089.36. After rebates and tax credits: $14,689.17

I'm getting 16 Sharp Solar ND-187U1 187 watt modules and one SMA - SB4000US(240v) 4.0 kW inverter. You might wonde why the larger inverter. I have a lot of roof space and wanted the option to add panels in the future without switching out my inverter should my electrical needs increase. Like....if I got an EV car.

The driveway guy is coming tomorrow to give me an estimate. I need 240 square feet (exactly one pallet) of checkerboard concrete blocks. It's called "Driveable Grass" and is available here in So.Cal through soilretention.com. They supply Home Depot among other vendors. I'll lay the drip irrigation myself after the squares are laid. I'll sweep in the dirt and seed myself as well. I'm very excited.

I'll take before, during and after pics of the driveway when it get's going.

I'll have to rely on Borrego Solar to take pictures of the roof.

BTW I am very impressed with Borrego Solar. They even included an environmental page for me. According to their calculations my system will reduct CO2 emissions by 5,160 lbs annually or 154,791 over the life of the system. That is the equivalent of planting 2 acres of trees. I'll also reduce Nitrogen Oxide by 45 lbs over the life of the system and Nitrogen and Sulfur oxides by 49.4 lbs over the life of the system. This is based on the electricity I don't need that is generated by coal, oil and natural gas, etc. Between my Prius and my PV system I will have reduced my carbon footprint considerably.

BTW the French door is repaired and the inside side is painted. Tomorrow I'll flip it to the outside, chisel the hinges and bevel the edge, apply Jasco and Thompson's and then wait to paint. Should be hung by next week, about Thursday or Friday.

Does anyone know if you can have a solar water heater tied to an "on demand" water heater?

15. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes the water heater is electric. The ground here is too hard so they do not lay any gas pipes. I do have propane for the fireplace and stove.

I wish I got rebates. The only thing I get is the federal. $2k for the water sys and $2k for the PV sys. Although I heard a rumor that the PV rebate has been upped to $4k, or at least they are trying to pass it.

After everything said and done the system costs around $34k. Half my motivation is cost and half to reduce my carbon footprint. I am not generally a tree hugger but would like to feel I am leaving this place better than when I got here. It will probably take me 10+ years to break even (not including the house property tax exemptions) since TSU will not buy my power back.

I plan to use the SMA webbox to track the energy produced. It will also show me the CO2 reduction. I have not done any calcs but my elec bill is about $220 a month for 1500 kwh and it will only go up as it gets hotter around here.

I went with Earth Solar Group out of Colorado but the local installer is Armadillo Solar LLC out of Austin, TX.

I am not sure you would want to tie the solar water heater to the on-demand system. If I understand your system it basically flash heats the water as you need it (no storage unit). I use solar energy to keep the 80-gal of water hot instead of elec unless it is dark out.

16. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jul 12 2007, 08:47 PM) [snapback]477889[/snapback]</div>
    I'm sure that you can. I know space is a big consideration for you though. However, preheating the water fed to the tankless would mean that you'd use way less energy to bring it up to temp or it would simply pass the water through if it was already at temp. On the other hand, it might just make it really hot. Don't know how sophisticated those things are.

Tadashi,

It sounds like the solar water will pay itself off pretty quickly if you've got a $2k credit on it. Assuming you use 400 kWh/mo and you pay $0.08/kWh that's $32/mo. If you took out a loan to pay for the system, you've got a tax deduction, so you're saving even more. I bet your ROI is pretty good on that part of the system. Too bad about the solar, but if you can deduct the interest on a loan that's far better than paying for electricity with post tax dollars.

17. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I paid out of pocket not through a loan so no savings there. I used the Prius calculator to try to figure out my ROI. I am thinking my payback would be in 9 years. I attached the spreadsheet similar to that Kerr article one that was posted earlier. I have no idea if it is right.

Attached Files: