1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Homelink Mirror Auto Dimming (or not?)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by eglmainz, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    how's an auto-dimming mirror a safety issue?

2. compac

compac PSU, Metallic Blue Ribbon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Besides the question if its a safety issue... Dooh

Noticed that if the dash dimmer switch is dimmed low, the Rear view mirror seems to dim a bit more quickly,

Not sure if it just that is because there is less light on the sensor that is on the back of the mirror or if the 2 systems are inter-connected.

3. CheeseheadPrius

CheeseheadPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    This seems like the easiest solution to the prob. You can buy the glue at any parts store for an easy DIY. Getting the button off may be tricky since it's so new. If you try it just mark the windshield with a marker so you know where to position it.

4. tracuco

tracuco Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have had my Prius for less than two weeks. I have been trying to figure out how the auto dimming works. My wife's toyota has auto dimming and works fine. The auto dimming on my Prius seems not to care if there are bright lights behind me.!?

5. compac

compac PSU, Metallic Blue Ribbon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    For a one word snide reply... not.

For a fuller opinion:
    So it doesn't do it well at best.

It dims only w/ a car too close. Make sure the power button is on. Other than that it is slow to react. I asked about the mirror at a service check, was told there is no adjustment from the dealer side. It was one of the few major design problems w/ our Pri. :confused:
    Haven't seen any way to adjust the sensitivity either.

Even back in the 80's Ford had an auto dimming mirror w/ adjustable sensitivity...

6. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It doesn't dim much because the spoiler blocks the direct light to the sensor.

7. GeorgeS

GeorgeS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    We have a 2013 Prius V and do not like the auto dim mirror. It does not dim soon enough for me. Also it seems to revert to day too soon. How can the sensitivity be controlled? If I turn the auto feature off, how do I force it to the night setting?