1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Homelink Mirror Fell Off While Driving

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by ShenmueTacos, Sep 25, 2017.

1. ShenmueTacos

ShenmueTacos Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I tried searching on Prius Chat to see if this is a common problem but I wasn't able to find anything.

Anyway, I was driving home the yesterday and my mirror came off the windshield and started swinging around by the wires it is connected to. It looked like it was simply help up by what looked to be some kind of adhesive tape, but was wondering if I could buy something like Loctite rear view mirror adhesive. The mirror doesn't seem to have a traditional mount for a mirror so I wasn't for sure if the Loctite stuff would work properly.

I attached some pictures to show what was holding the mirror up.

Attached Files:

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    check with an auto parts store for options, call dealer parts for what toyota uses.

3. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Looks like it's been tinkered with and not put back properly. (Haven't ever removed ours though).

ShenmueTacos likes this.
  4. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    It attaches with double sided tape, made by 3M. You can get it from many places. You have to clean the glass well with a degreaser. The tape should come with proper instructions on how to do that. In the past we used the Eastman 910 or "crazyglue" stuff, but the tape is easier, so that's what they use now.

5. ShenmueTacos

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I bought some rear view mirror adhesive/glue/whatever it is at a local auto parts store. So far, it is holding up after applying yesterday. I hope it stays!

I also thought the mirror looked odd or that it was tampered with. I did buy this Prius used so maybe the previous owner had to put the mirror back up as well.

bisco likes this.
  6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Maybe the windshield was replaced

7. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Wow, only two small pieces of double sided tape?

When ours fell off, I used 5 minute 2 part epoxy to bond the aluminum mount onto the windshield after scraping off the old adhesive residue and cleaning with isopropyl alcohol. I did score the surface of the aluminum mount with a file to give the epoxy more to hold onto.

So far, so good at 6+ months post repair.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

jzchen and kc410 like this.
  8. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I forgot to mention, though I used 5 minute epoxy, I did let it cure for 24 hours before reinstalling the mirror onto the mounting base. The 5 minute refers to the set time, not the full cure time for maximum hold and strength.

9. ShenmueTacos

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well the rearview mirror kit I purchased recommend letting it set overnight before installing the mirror. It stayed put until today and fell off again after I closed the driver's door. I'm just going to have to take it to the dealership. My maintenance required soon light came on this week anyway.

10. ShenmueTacos

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well the dealership said they couldn't put the mirror on. They suggested I go to a Safelite Autoglass and have them install it. Thankfully Safelite was able to install it back on and not charge anything for it. Hopefully it'll stay on this time!