1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Homemade Chassis Brace

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Aaron Vitolins, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Newbie here! So yesterday i was reading about the wonders that a rear chassis brace can do for the Prius. So i was like "what the heck, i'll just make one my self.. who wants to pay $50 and then have to wait around for shipping?" So i went to Lowe's and bought a 3 foot section of steal, some new washers, and 4 new bolts. I only needed about 1 foot of metal, but thats all they had had, so i had to pay $20!! but hey still better than $50! How to: Used a band saw for cutting to proper length, then used cordless drill to drill the 4 news holes. Bam you're done! Really noticed a difference in highway steadiness, love it! Will try to upload a picture later, this Mac is being a stupid.

New vs. Old

Attached Files:

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat. congrats, you make that sound so easy! what is a bandsaw?o_O

3. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    But aluminum would have saved you 6 maybe 7 ounces!

4. Jason in OZ

Jason in OZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    this is a bandsaw.

[​IMG]

nice job by the way. :)

Jason

5. Aaron Vitolins

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks guys! It was refreshingly easy after me and my dad took out a Lexus rx300 engine yesterday! I highly recommend replacing that stock chassis brace, especially I you do highway driving. Honestly I'm a little disappointed by Toyota... It's such a cheep flimsy part

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks jason, i didn't know you could cut steel with those things.

7. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Depends on the band saw.

Most wood cutting band saws are too fast and would likely burn up the blade.

I have 5 metal cutting band saws in my shop and one for wood. I'd NEVER use the wood one for steel.

8. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Aaron... Do you notice results? Is there really less sway?

9. Aaron Vitolins

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I actually did! I too was a little skeptic of what other people were saying on Prius chat. It isn't night a day though, I only really notice it on sharp turns(stays a little falter and maybe more control) and high speeds 70-75 mph. This really helps if you drive on a interstate like me that has a lot of cross winds. Oh one more thing, its more relaxed at higher speeds, making it easier to drive with one hand! Hope this helps

Daves09prius likes this.
  10. 06_PriusDriver

06_PriusDriver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Looks awesome!! Just out of curiosity how did you tighten your bolts to the frame? I am wanting to do this to my 06 Prius. Also do you have a brace going across the front strut towers? I know my Prius is terrible in the cross winds while going down the highway.

11. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Over the past two years, I developed the "box beam" version of the center brace. for both the Gen III and the Gen II.

The aluminum "box beam" has the ultimate stiffness, without the added weight. It weighs within three ounces of the original, NOT the 2-1/2 pounds of the BT Tech Plate or the G7 plate. The "box beam" has the "flex" required as in the original to prevent stress damage to the sheet metal mounting points of the thin sheet metal steel rails.

Attached Files:

12. Aaron Vitolins

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Thanks! I just used a cheep ratchet, don't remember the size though. Just like tightening any other bolts, no special tools like an air ratchet required.
    And sadly i don't have a strut tower brace :( i'd sure like one though.. I think that would really help in the handling department! Maybe one day i'll get one, right now I'm to cheep.

13. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    get a corolla front sway bar from the junk yard. should be < $50, and will make a huge difference in cornering.

14. Jason in OZ

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    that particular corolla was never sold here in oz. makes it kind of hard / expensive to get sway bar upgrades for the G2 Prius in Australia. :(

i would like to do these upgrades also, but it's not that simple here...
    i do have the three chassis braces (not yet installed) but i would like to install the sway bars too....

Jason.

15. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    perhaps you could get the part number and order it from the dealer... might be a rip-off though. dealers usually like to hose their customers.

16. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If you liked what the metal under the car(chassis brace) did hunt up a front upper shock strut bar, night and day difference when you install one;)

The gen3 comes without a rear sway bar, another Hugh difference after installation, yes the op has a gen2

17. Jason in OZ

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    not a half bad idea. i wonder if i supply them with a part number if they would order it ?
    given that its a part for a car that was never sold here... worth a shot i guess.

jason

18. Agent J

Agent J Hypoliterian

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry to hijack the thread for a moment..

Jason, I don't think you'll find one locally. I tried. I ended up with the Whiteline BTF72Z. Works like a dream if paired with a 24mm rear sway bar. However, the adjustment holes are smaller so you have to have them widened by a really good machine shop that can drill holes through spring steel.

19. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    PriusBrace.png so this weekend I installed a very cool looking blue box-beam chassis brace on my car. sure looks good, fit was perfect. will it help? FIIK. it was easy and the bolts came right out with a cheap 12mm wrench. (I seem to have lost all my 12mm sockets) I was concerned cause my car >10 years old w/ almost 200k, and the local govt retards use our tax $ to spread about 6 times as much salt as is needed every time they think it might snow.
    started all the stronger bolts and finger tightened em before cranking them all to about 25'# with a 13mm socket.

I hope to report back that it does in fact help. but it sure looks cool.

20. Aaron Vitolins

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That looks really nice! Gotta say your old brace looks a little more dirty then mine, I guess we don't get much snow down in Tennessee.

Where did you get your nice new brace? and how much?.. can't wait to hear if you notice any difference