1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Homemade garage floor car heater ?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by mite66, Dec 1, 2010.

1. mite66

mite66 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just had this funny idea :):

Since I always park my car in a heated garage, why not heat the car instead ?

I could turn off the garage baseboard and install some kind of homemade heater, lying on the floor underneath the engine compartment.

The thing is that I'm about to install an Enginer PHEV kit and want to minimize the "engine warm-up penalty" by having a close to warm engine on first start similar to what the engine block heater would do but without having to plug/unplug anything.

As it been done ? Does it make sense ?

Maybe a resistance wire assembly of about 800W would do the trick. A thermostat and a timer would be added for safety and efficiency.

What do you think ?

2. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    IMHO, the block heater makes more sense from an energy conservation perspective. Unless you have a naturally occurring source of heat (i.e. a hot spring that you can pipe into your garage), heating the block directly is far more energy efficient than heating the air around the car. Further, the block heater will result in a higher initial temperature.

Your best bet is to have the EBH on a 2 hour timer. Some timers have battery backup. When you install the Enginer kit, you can route your EBH cord through the firewall, under the door sills (with a short extension cord), and plug into a battery backup timer that is also connected to AC power cord for the charger. After you arrive home and plug in, the Enginer kit will take about six hours to charge, then a few hours later the EBH will turn on and your car will be soon be ready for the next commute. Or have two plugs in your bumper to run the Enginer charger and EBH separately, with the timer plugged into the wall. Having a timer is very important, as temperature convergence is around two hours; beyong that, most EBH heat is radiated away rather than being captured (thanks to Bob Wilson for his EBH analysis a few years ago).

Parking in a garage with a little heat (i.e. 50F/10C) will help your traction and Enginer batteries as well.

3. mite66

mite66 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks seilerts, Ok, maybe my convection idea was not that great afterall.

But yours, using a battery backup timer and a single plug look promising.

The Enginer charger uses around 7A and the EBH needs another 3.3A. Thanks to the timer, the risk of having both units working at the same time is minimal but eventhere, the circuit breaker should be able to withstand it anyway.

4. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Be very careful with heaters in the garage. Use electronic thermostat ones only. You can get spilled gasoline in a garage. Gasoline vapour is heavier than air. It pools on the floor. If you get a spark on or near the floor you will have an explosion. That's why most garage heaters are mounted on the ceiling.

BTW, the block heater has no thermostat. It's a 400W device as I recall. It's been three years since I measured it. Put your timer up off the floor, at least 1 metre..

5. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  6. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have a Reznor direct vent natural gas heater in my attached garage. It is CSA certified for both residential and commercial installation

There are many advantages to heating the entire garage: entire car including transmission fluid and wheel bearings are kept above freezing (Kind of helpful at -40), no ice or snow in wheel wells or under vehicle, less chance of ice up

Some may wonder if a vehicle kept in a heated garage will rust faster. With a natural gas heater the answer is no, it keeps the interior bone dry. But its important to have a floor drain in the garage. Once could also rig up a HRV to exhaust the interior air and replace with bone dry outside air

My neighbours who park outside their power bill to leave a vehicle plugged in exceeds the approx $40 a month it costs to run my gas heater. Their vehicles also rust faster, as the vehicle experiences condensation constantly

7. caffeinekid

caffeinekid Duct Tape Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Would some sort of heated water loop work? I know you are in Canada, but would a solar water heater be feasible? They are relatively inexpensive to build and I have seen them used to heat entire floors in the winter.

8. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    They use glycol in the loop to prevent freeze-up. The further north you go, the less solar power there is available. Right now in Edmonton the sun is not very high above the horizon. It also rises at 8:30 and sets at 16:15 or so. Not much time to heat the system! Then there is the problem of trying to keep the heat in the collector -in- the system. It's typically -10C ambient right now, and dropping day by day.

However, it's not a lost cause. My garage is insulated but not heated. Well, it's geo-thermally heated (from the floor sitting on the ground). Right now it's close to freezing in the garage. At worst (end of January beginning of February) it gets to -10C in the garage and -20 to -30 outside.

Pearl likes it in the garage! ;)

9. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Radient infloor heat does work, but still isn't widely used up here. The Reznor heater I use can be seen tucked up in the corner of the garage, the upper left of this photo

[​IMG]

The fan circulates the air around, and keeps the garage bone dry in winter. In January it adds around $40 to my gas bill

Another option, which a co-worker has and swears by, is a radiant heater. This one is made by Schwank

Schwank Infrared Heaters: Radiant Gas-fired Commercial & Residential Infra-red Heaters

No matter what system, it's very important to have a frost/thermal break for the garage slab. Frost line here can reach down 5 ft. So that means the edge must have foam board insulation on both sides, down to the footings

There should also be a thermal break for the slab itself, such as these products from Beaver Plastics

Beaver Plastics insulworks hydronic heating insulation

Beaver Plastics Dynavoid

Beaver Plastics Dynaflex Void Form

Othewise the heat will literally be sucked out of the slab into the soil underneath