1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Honda 2030 Goal; ⅔ Sales HEV & PHEV

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by hill, Feb 26, 2016.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    CEO says Honda to focus on hybrids, electric cars - MarketWatch

Go Honda !!!

Additionally;
    Honda CEO: Our Goal Is 2/3rds Of Total Sales To Be Electrified By 2030 (w/video)
    Jeez . . . Here's to hoping Toyota will at least sell the gen II PIP nationwide - when it finally gets here.

#1 hill, Feb 26, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would be happy if they just had one. seems like everything they try backfires.

3. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you talking Honda or Toyota.

People liked the fit ev but honda in their fcv centric view killed it instead of improved it. Their accord phev was group think that toyota was doing well with range plug-ins. We should see the first try from honda soon, don't judge them on cars that designed to fail. they did a good job at making them fail.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    honda. they tried the insight 1, the insight 2, the civic hybrid, the accord hybrid 1, the accord hybrid 2, the accord phev, the fcv, and i'm still waiting for something to stick.

5. dipper

dipper Senior Member

Honda has the winning NSX 2. Try to buy one, it is impossible. Better than the Ls600h from buyers.

merged

HAH 2 should have been a winner. Bad marketing by putting in the wrong price range. The lower model should have matched the Camry price and features, and they would have a better selling car. And they did not even make enough to sell in many cases.... like the RLX hybrid.

Again.... bad marketing.

#5 dipper, Feb 27, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2016
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    at least they have made a verbal commitment for the future, unlike toyota, who says 'no one is asking for bev's'. what's the point of improving the prius every 5 or 6 years? there's only a marginal efficiency improvement.

7. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Son might benefit, but I'll be short-timing it by then...hopefully in something that gets really lousy mileage, is loud, goes extremely fast and makes the women's panties drop as I drive by. ;)

8. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would have no idea what Honda's logic is for the pronouncement. But in the US they need to look at meeting 54 MPG CAFE, which may imply hybrids.

9. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh thought you were talking plug-ins

The civic hybrid was quite sucessful, selling over 200,000 units. The rest were badly recieved by the market.

10. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The Accord hybrid is suppose to come back for 2017. I'm not sure why it isn't offered for 2016. Did Honda have supply issues with the model last year? They do have to rethink price on it.

There have been some recalls of the Jazz hybrid in Japan over the transmission. Honda could be delaying any expansion of the system until that is completely fixed.

In the meantime, the US will get an ICE version of the CRZ.:rolleyes:

11. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Redesign is indicated. We will see when they announce the new specs and price.
    I think these are different, but ..

too bad honda can't make a crx again. Probably safety regulations. The closest thing is the mazda 2 aailable currently as the scion ia this year and the toyota somthing or other next when they kill scion but keep the ia. maybe a new name, and maybe they can get mazda to build them a hatch version for North America.
    Compare Side-by-Side

12. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Yes the Jazz and Accord have different hybrid systems. The Accord with the two motor one, and the Jazz with one motor and a DCT. When Honda announced the US wasn't getting a Fit hybrid, they followed up that there were plans that NA would get a sedan and/or a SUV hybrid based on the Fit platform.

Then there is the possible return of the Civic hybrid. Which can be either system at this point.

The CRZ suffered from trying to do it all; be fuel efficient and sporty. The CRX didn't even try to do that. If you wanted more than what the entry level car base trim did, you got the HFE for fuel efficiency or the Si for sportiness.

13. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Well low gas prices mean that going hybrid (not phev) at a smaller car than the prius doesn't work well, well maybe the ioniq, but that will be a bev and phev too. I'd focus on getting the accord and a crossover going if I were honda, but the focus needs to be plut-in. The fit hybrid is too expensive for the US if its going to be profitable for honda. The prius c undercuts it.
    If they get the accord right then there isn't really a spot for it. The camry, sonata, fusion hybrids are so good that there wont be a real segment for it. I see room for a cr-v based phev.
    crz failed for doing nothing well. The cr-x was inexpensive, fun to drive, reliable, and efficient. Like I said the mazda 2 is the closest think in today's vehicles. Mazda didn't think it could sell many in north america, so its here as the scion ia, which toyota will keep when they kill scion. In japan the mazda 2 has a hatch, but there is not an ia hatch. Make it an aerdynamic ia liftback and you probably get 39 mpg in dct form for about $18,000. There is a slot for that and the manual transmission.

Honda has the fit which is like the old civic hatchback. its excellent but they don't have that cr-x.

14. dipper

dipper Senior Member

If Honda wanted to be in the hybrid business, I would suggest a plugin CRV with RLX layout, but with the HAH 2 liter motor. 14 kwh battery to get full Fed tax credit.

I'd the first to stand in line for it.

15. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If Honda is going to get anywhere in hybrids, they need to overhaul or replace the IMA. They need a hybrid system with a practical EV capability, a durable battery pack, and a system that protects that pack.

bwilson4web likes this.
  16. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think goals projected 14 years out, are more tools of inspiration than legitimate precursors of potential reality.

But it does tell you what direction Honda's "inspiration" is headed.

I reserve the right to post again in 2030.

wjtracy likes this.
  17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i thought the new accord was not ima?

18. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'd like to know if it's not IMA - I don't know.

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    okay, i thought when it came out, they said it wasn't, but i'm not sure either. it was odd, people seemed to like them, mpg's were excellent, no problems that i heard about, then they said they were taking a hiatus as mentioned above, with no explanation.

20. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Low gas prices seem to be reason enough for Honda to be tepid about any hybrids in the US. Plus, delaying gives more time for their handling of NiMH batteries to fade from public memory.

Honda needs to address their prices on nearly every model.
    The motor system in the Accord was the one Honda also designed for plug in ability. The system in the RLX is an extension of the one motor one in the Jazz. A PHEV based on it cane be possible, but it might end up making more use of blending. We'll have to wait and see how the Ioniq PHEV turns out to have any idea on that front.

IMA is already gone, and Honda switched to Li-ion for the last year or two of the Civic IMA.

Honda has three hybrid systems now, all using Li-ion. There is the two motor one in the Accord and its PHEV. That one was well rated, and actually is a serial hybrid for low and mid speed driving.
    Next is the one motor one in the Jazz. The motor is more powerful than in IMA, and is imbedded in a dual clutch transmission. On first release, the Jazz hybrid beat the Aqua/Prius c on the JC08 test.
    The third is an AWD version of the one motor system. It has to motors at the rear wheels. So far it has only been used in power hybrids.

austingreen likes this.