1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Honda accord hybrid 49/45/47 mpg ymmv

Discussion in 'Honda/Acura Hybrids and EVs' started by austingreen, Jul 19, 2013.

1. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A

One of the reasons, at least if you believe the stories, of the suspension was to give more cargo space in the gen I prius, which was a sedan. Back then multi-link suspensions were quite expensive. Technology has moved on, and the gen III prius has grown a great deal from the gen I, and costs for multi-link have dropped and the cost of the rest of the car has gone up. I don't know how much a multi-link would impinge on the cargo area, but the prius has grown big enough to handle a small change. I threw a friends bike in my hatch friday night, as she was IMHO too drunk to ride, and she was impressed at how much the hatch could swallow.

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Sorry, I was thinking about something else and see these 1st generation, hybrids from 'the honorable competition' as starting to get a clue about how the Prius works. IMHO, they are finally worthy competition for our 2003 Prius. Regardless, I failed to show the association of this Honda hybrid to the Prius technology and that was my mistake.

If you would like to continue the techical discussion, I''ve pasted the same text in the Gen III Fuel Economy forum.

Bob Wilson

3. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Isn't the Accord Hybrid gas engine going to have work more than a Hybrid Synergy Drive gas engine to power the car? Accord Hybrid sets off on battery power to some speed, then gas engine works full time: 1) As gas generator to power motor to wheels 2) As high speed engine linked to wheels by clutch.

Hybrid Synergy Drive gas engine works less than Honda Sport Hybrid gas engine because HSD can blend gas and electric power, correct? Also, the Accord Hybrid gas engine is only 2.0 L while Camry hybrid is 2.5L. Seems Accord Hybrid might be more pokey on the road.

4. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I am sure it can blend electric, as well as go all electric, all ice, regen, etc, like the camry hybrid. Until someone gets to test it, we won't know what the mix is. My guess is the honda ice will work less because of the lithium battery than the camry ice, but again we won't know until some one tests the beast, or has someone gotten their hands on one. Acceleration wise it will likely be between the fusion hybrid and the camry hybrid, and if use the extra acceleration of the camry hybrid your fuel economy will drop;) so I doubt that will be a problem. Price premium may be a problem.

5. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In Japan. Not here until October.

austingreen likes this.
  6. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Tech tidbit in Motortrend on Accord Hybrid arriving October 2013: It has no transmission. Engine, motor and wheels have a fixed ratio. Same for the Accord Plug-in. I think it said the hybrid's engine clutches to the wheels over 43 MPH.

7. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    The "First Drive" article I just read at Motortrend says "the engine is mated to a six-speed CVT".

2014 Honda Accord Hybrid Japan Spec First Drive - Motor Trend

8. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    6 speed continuously variable transmission? :confused:

9. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A

It is likely a traditional cvt, with software allowing it to lock to 6 fixed gear ratios to avoid some of the feel complaints. Honda does this on the insight too, but with 7 ratios, and c&d thinks it has done a better job on the accord cvt software.
    2013 Honda Accord Sedan First Drive – Review – Car and Driver

Who knows, the hybrid may give some manual control. I would not trust any mpg figure out of the hybrid until people are driving it though.

10. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'll wait until they announce a price and then I'll give you my opinion initial opinion.

11. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    (CVT: Never mind. Now I remember.)

Initial reviews of the plug-in were pretty good for driving. We'll see about the hybrid.

Still, show me the money.

12. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That's the non-hybrid.

The hybrid and plugin version has the two motor eCVT. It doesn't have PSD but instead a clutch to transmit engine power to the wheels.

Very helpful illustration at 4:35 in the video.

13. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    That motor trend piece made it seem like it had a traditional cvt, but no matter which it has, software can make a cvt or a ecvt feel more like a geared transmission. I definitely am confused by the motortrend description, but perhaps the author didn't know what the car had. It would be suprising if the accord hybrid does not have a psd, and can reach the mileage claims.

14. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    I'm still confused about how the new hybrid system works. If someone knows of a good technical description in English I'd love to read it.

The Motortrend article I linked to earlier is only about the new 2014 non-plug Accord Hybrid. That article says:

And...

That sounds like a mechanical CVT but the Japanese video clip above says E-CVT. Motortrend is probably just confused....

15. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I get there are 3 modes.

The first 2 have the ice unclutched from the wheels
    1) BEV, the battery feeds honda's equivalent of MG2
    2) Genertor, the ICE drives mg1 as a generator, to power mg2. Depending on SOC and throttle position the battery will be charged, stay neutral, or provide more power.

The third is the confusing one with the ice clutched in
    3) eCVT (have no idea if there is a universal gear like the prius) ice is geared along with mg1 to the wheels. This is the the confusing mode. If the motor has a fixed gear ratio to the wheels this isn't really an eCVT, but some of the honda material seems to say it is, some says it isn't.

16. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    In layman's term, it operates like 3 different cars:

Tradition Gas car - It is a single gear direct mechanical gas engine driving the wheels. This is what Honda is calling it Engine Drive. It is like an overdrive gear to handle highway speed cruising (>62 mph).

Series Hybrid - Gas engine turns the generator to power the traction motor, in series power flow arranagement. This mode handles acceleration for mid speed where more power is needed that battery cannot supply. Honda calls it Hybrid Drive.

EV - The battery powers the traction motor for low speed. Honda calls it EV Drive.

For all speeds, the gear ratio does not change. Torque at the wheel is adjusted with electricity (rather than mechanical ratio), controlled infinitely variable - just like HSD, which is why they are calling it eCVT.

17. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting article. Awfully bold claim of 'Prius beating' mileage.

Customers will look at trunk space. I think the reason liftback Prius is so popular is battery is so well hidden.

I sure wonder if they are planning two trims or just one trim North of $34k ... hmmm.

Probably the most exciting thing is Honda is known to emphasize cars that are also pleasing and good all-around to drive. Well, at least I'm interested in that.

I really hope it pans out and is reliable.

18. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Motortrends's tech tidbit in 2014 models issue states Accord Hybrid gets cost and weight savings due to no geared transmission. I hope it can get a 44 EPA combined rating and come in about 42 to 3 on fuelly. .... And not lose too much trunk space or pass through.

Will there be a lower 'Hybrid' trim with fabric and no nav for Accord Hybrid, like for Civic?
    28.x sticker, chose between that with 45 ish combined or conventional EX-L no nav at 28.x .... we'll see.

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    my wife got 47 mpg on her first hycam tank. the second was 42 in the heat and i was disappointed. but it's cooled off and after 200 miles, she told me she's upto 50! you could have knocked me over with a feather.:cool:

20. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Honda is portraying Accord Hybrid driving all over town in EV mode. Hmmm. I wonder how it can accelerate with traffic around our suburbs in EV. Then they show it on open windy roads in hybrid mode, then highway in engine mode. I'm really wondering how this thing is going to be so efficient.