1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Honda Accord Hybrid: 50 MPG City - clone Toyota

Discussion in 'Honda/Acura Hybrids and EVs' started by bwilson4web, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    are you adding all the average's and dividing by the number of reporters?

3. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    It probably depends on how both cars are being driven. I'll tell you something and I do not expect you to believe it. I have a 2014 Avalon Hybrid XLE Touring. I drove it 33 miles on the highway yesterday at about 52 MPH and I got 48.2 MPG. That has never happened before and probably will never happen again because I never drive that slow but it just shows what can happen MPG wise if you want to slow down. Usually in suburb Chicago driving I get about 38 MPG for a high.

4. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The graph in Cycledrum's link looked off from what I saw a couple months ago on Fuelly. It had the reports from hundreds of cars. So I went deeper into the 2014 Accord data I got the graph I linked.

Figuring out the proper average would have been tedious, so I just eyeballed the graph. The peak of the bell curve is 45mpg with 11 reports. There 34 reports lower, and 31 higher. If added up, the average might be closer to 43mpg.

There are just issues digging around in Fuelly's data that crop up with cars that have multiple engine options. The site originally used simple codes for engine type(V=vee, L=inline, H=hybrid) and number of cylinders. Nothing with engine displace. So does L4 mean the 1.5L or 2.0L version. This confusion just lead to cars' data being counted in the wrong subset. There is actually another set of 8 Accord hybrids off on their own, and quick look shows that one of the high performers is actually a plug in. There is also a second set of Camry hybrids too. Fuelly doesn't break out electric consumption at this point too.

The new owners of Fuelly did a major upgrade to the back end at the beginning of the summer, but they have a lot of work in cleaning up all the old entries.

Back to the cars. Cylcedrum's numbers has the Camry hybrid off of the EPA combined by around 2%. The Accord is nearly 9%. The worse year for the gen3 Prius was around 6%. There are less 2014 Camry hybrids than Accords. The larger samples of 2013 and 2012 are a little lower.

Allowing for issues with the Fuelly numbers, I'd say both cars returning close to the EPA rating for their owners.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    gotcha, thanks.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i believe you. that's why fully is the only objective way of looking at it. for the average joe, an average of all the users of a single model would be his best way of judging it. for us, we know what we can do with our cars, but we don't know what we can do with a car we haven't driven. unfortunately, fully is still to confusing to get a good handle on it imo.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the one thing we don't know, (or do we) is how much of the battery honda is allowing to be used compared to toyota.

8. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Well, it's a lithium ion in the Accord. I think it can safely be discharged more than the NiMH in the Camry.

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's amazing how great fuel mileage is at 50mph but there is an obsession with 70-80mph speed limits. I understand that's the case if it's a wide open space (e.g. the Canadian Prairies) because, well let's face it, you wanna get the hell out of there as soon as you can cause it's straight and boring.

I had a Corolla LE for a week and it was hitting 50mpg at 50mph! At a steady 42mph (60km/h), it was over 60mpg.

10. Stevevee

Stevevee Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    An acquaintance of mine bought an Accord Hybrid back in April, so I was very interested to catch up with him. It's also the only one I've seen anywhere around here. He does a lot of driving 6-8 months a year, slows down in the Fall/Winter months, pretty much like my cycle. He's done five trips now from here to Maine, averaging 700 miles per trip. His lifetime now, at 6,500 miles, is 47 mpg on the dot, calculated. His around town mileage is fantastic, always beating mine by a wide margin.

I've been in it one as a passenger, and it's a great ride. Comparing the style, ride, etc all around, at discounted prices, I'd prefer the Avalon Hybrid for myself. But no question the Accord is definitely better for mileage. Although there is a size difference, I'll bet a lot of people out there for from the Fusion Hybrid, Accord Hybrid, Avalon Hybrid, Camry Hybrid shopping trips. For those that are brand loyal, I doubt any of those cars would be a mistake. I just saw an Avalon Hybrid XLE Premium for sale here at $33k, which for us, is more attractive than the Camry Hybrid.

But so far, now that the warmer weather has been with us, the Accord Hybrid seems to be the larger car mileage champ. Fuelly does have some mixed models bunched together, so it can be a very hard first look. The Accord came out and was available at just the wrong time to introduce and compare hybrid mileage, plus there aren't many out there. Now this guy drove a Buick before, so he's no hybrid driver. He says he pretty much drives the way he always has, which is similar to my style.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is honda pumping up the hyacc manufacturing, or are they watching real world results and moving slowly?

12. Stevevee

Stevevee Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As is the case with Avalon Hybrids, I rarely see and Accord Hybrid on the lots near here. I can only guess that Honda is taking this real slow, given it's a major change in a brand new model, and also given that hybrids are under the microscope now for comparisons and gas mileage. Real world testing on a low volume model can pay dividends if problems develop. Ford can attest to this, and probably wishes they weren't so aggressive.

13. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    A Toyota dealer in my area has a new Toyota "rent before you buy" program. I highly recommend that. I rented a new Camry Hybrid for 3 days recently. At that time they did not have Avalons in that program. I bought a new Avalon Hybrid. There was just no comparison between a Camry and an Avalon. I was unable to find an Accord Hybrid on the lots in my area as well. I wanted to take one for a test drive. They do not have a spare tire, just a tire repair kit. A spare tire is a must for me. That's just me.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well, the avalon being in the next class up, i'm not surprised there aren't too many around.

15. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In talking to Honda corporate, they are not planning to ramp up Accord Hybrid volumes anywhere near Camry Hybrid availability.

They are likely keeping Accord Hybrid availability low so they can keep the prices high and make the profit needed.

Accord Hybrid listed as having emergency tire repair kit and 24 hour emergency roadside assistance. I don't know if the assistance turns into pay plan after initial freebee.

Avalon Hybrid is a very nice car, but I'm not looking into that size or price range.

I'm interested in Camry Hybrid, but looking for the 2015 Camry / Hybrid to improve in driving dynamics against Accord. I'm going to back off the complaint about Camry offset steering wheel. Done some weighted string tests and offset is negligible.

#455 cycledrum, Aug 16, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    doesn't the dealer pay the same price and sell for what they want? i don't think the hyacc is much more than the hycam, similarly equipped, are they?

17. Stevevee

Stevevee Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Higher volume dealers get perks, particularly warranty money. I hope in the next version of the Camry, I hope they spend a few bucks to finish the rear end. The Avalon is a gorgeous car, and better than the Camry in virtually every way, except price ;)

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and mpg's.(y)

19. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I think the price is close, but Toyota probably has more wriggle room in terms of cost to dealers and for incentives with the established drivetrain and their NiMH battery source.

20. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Accord Hybrid is not equipped like Camry Hybrid. Base Accord Hybrid is $29,950 sticker price w/ cloth seats, no audio touchscreen or nav, and I'll bet most are paying pretty close to that.

2014.5 Camry Hybrid XLE w nav, w/o moonroof is just over $30k sticker and has discounts of nearly $3k. It's an outgoing version though with 2015 coming.