1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Honda Accord Hybrid: 50 MPG City - clone Toyota

Discussion in 'Honda/Acura Hybrids and EVs' started by bwilson4web, Sep 8, 2013.

1. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Today = 13th Anniversary driving a hybrid

Hybrid = everyday vehicle that's clean & efficient

hybridbear and bwilson4web like this.
  2. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you think the honda is not clean and efficient. I am honestly asking what its missing from your definition?

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I thought your question of "what does hybrid mean to you?" was just a reference to the my impression of market offerings as a whole now. Apparently not.

4. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A

I'm not trying to pick on you. I thought you were saying this new accord hybrid was not as full a hybrid as a psd hybrid like the camry. I don't think I am missing anything from the definition, but certainly could be.

GM two mode hybrids also are full hybrids to me. Their non-downsized engines and expensive hybrid premium are what makes them not as "good" of hybrids IMHO, but they certainly fit my definition, but perhaps not yours.

Trollbait likes this.
  5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Woa Hoss!
    At the January 2009, Detroit Autoshow I had a chance to see this Hyundai model, a single motor/generator hybrid:
    [​IMG]
    I was and remain impressed. A single motor/generator hybrid will be mechanically more complex, at least two separate clutches, as it has to be able to couple to the engine side and the transmission side. But it offers some significant advantages IF the traction battery stress can be managed. However, it could also be used with a hydraulic instead of electrical system to 'up the power.'

What I'm suggesting there are more than one hybrid architecture out there. Toyota reported there were 'four finalists' and they chose one that was mechanically simple but software intense. I know because understanding how the HSD works took me a lot of time and data and I'm still surprised by new insights.

Now GM's stop/start 'micro-hybrids' (and the EU variants) still has me pissed. It is a fraud that sad to say, led to several folks bitterly complaining about the poor performance. I'm still pissed that the Malibu shows up in the list of hybrids . . . <grumble, grumble, grumble>. If anyone deserves a false advertising lawsuit for false advertising.

Bob Wilson

TheEnglishman and austingreen like this.
  6. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Isn't a 7-speed transmission in contradiction to an eCVT? I know Accord Hybrid has an eCVT but have heard nothing about a 7 speed transmission.

7. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Not fishy because the 47/46 is MPG after plug-in charge all gone (cs) mode. Accord Plugin heavier than Hybrid so naturally will get a bit less MPGs.

hybridbear likes this.
  8. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I answered that in a post a few down from that one.

Honda actually has 3(or 2.5) hybrid systems coming out.

The new Fit hybrid has the first. It is the closest to a direct successor to IMA in that it has one motor. It uses clutches like Hyundai's system to isolate the ICE and motor from each other for improved efficiency. These hybrid systems still need a traditional transmission. The double clutch is going here.

Then there is an AWD system for the Acuras. Honda is calling it a seperate system, but it appears to be the above with a larger battery and two motors on the rear axle.

Then there is the two motor, full hybrid system used in the Accord hybrids. This is just the eCVT.

9. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A

7 speed means 7 virtual speeds, software will lock the ratio. Honda did this in the insight.

Two of the "feel" problems of cvts are rubber banding and slipping, where the accelerator is pressed but the noise out of the motor is out of phase and acceleration is delayed. These virtual gears help remove these "feel" issues.

virtual speeds may reduce real world mpg. Drivers may be encouraged to reduce power from the drone of a slipping cvt. The question is should the car or the driver decide power settings? A hyper miler might be able to use virtual gears to have more control of the ice and hence increase fuel economy.

10. TheEnglishman

TheEnglishman Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If the Accord has an EPA-backed rating of 50 MPG city, then it's even biting the heels of the Insight. Honda hybrids capitalize on a lower cost and the Accord hybrid will probably ride similarly to the smooth conventional '14 Accord as a Camry hybrid rides smoothly like a conventional Camry. Honda would be foolish to not offer some reassuring warranty on the Accord hybrid, and they probably realize why the last Accord hybrid was a slow seller -- the price wasn't right for the uninspiring mileage it returned. If this conventional mid-size sedan gets 50 MPG city for a reasonable price, it WILL eat away Camry hybrid sales because the average consumer doesn't think 100,000 miles into the future when gas is $4 and the Accord hybrid gets 7 more MPG in the city, and Honda will probably make commercials emphasizing the difference.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if frogs had wings, they wouldn't bump thier booty.

12. dipper

dipper Senior Member

I hope the Accord Hybrid is successful, which means Toyota has to UP their game.

I was hoping Ford was successful, but I guess that was more smoke and magic than science.

13. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A

Ford is successful, they have sold over 55,000 fusion and c-max hybrids and energis with there new 2L ice+lithium psd system year to date (January-August) versus 7,168 during the same period in 2012. They are going to expend these offerings in europe.

Now if you are talking about mpg claims, absolutely that was sleazy on the c-max. The fusion doesn't appear to get epa ratings in the real world. That doesn't mean these are bad cars. The Camry hybrid was also much improved, and although it gets closer to epa ratings in the real world, it appears to get slightly worse mpg than the fusion hybrid.

I really don't expect the accord hybrid to get 47 mpg combined in the real world, but what are we really talking about? As Car and Driver said on the fusion hybrid, they didn't get close to epa the way they drove it, but got much better fuel economy in it than the regular fusion (c&d and CR got 1 more mpg in the fusion hybrid versus the camry hybrid, it appears camry does better at higher speeds, fusion in the city). YMMV

47 versus 40 mpg over 150,000 miles is 560 gallons. 40 versus 30 is 1500 gallons during the same mileage, and we should expect the accord hybrid to beat the non-hybrid accord by at least that measure. That will add another good choice in the midsized sedan market.

hybridbear likes this.
  14. dipper

dipper Senior Member

Yes, I am talking about mpg numbers. Fortunately, most Americans cannot do finances, so those mpg numbers will have major impact on marketing, just ask Ford. And if the mpg is real, from small samples of the HAPI, those numbers look promising. With the upping EPA mpg number(s), it looks like those numbers are even better than Honda thought.

I am hoping that the real mpg numbers will promote sales on their accord hybrid, assuming price is not out of the Camry hybrid range. Only then would Toyota respond and anti-up with new technologies.

Competition drives quicker innovation. And Toyota has not have any in the last 10 years with hybrids.

hybridbear and TheEnglishman like this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hello? earth to dipper: 2010 was a major innovation for prius. 2012 was a major innovation for hycam. prius c and v are major innovations. toyota has not been resting on there laurels. they have however, made hay while the sun shines. and i'm sure they will forgo some of that hay if and when they have serious competition.

16. sURFNmADNESS

sURFNmADNESS Prii Family

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    With the new 4th generation HSD system coming in 2015 for the Prius. Also the arrival of the Corolla Hybrid in 2014. I would look for Camry to get the newer Prius HSD design, which should improve the mpg numbers. It would be interesting to see the mini van Toyota brought to their world tour to America for sale.

The Estima may not be peppy, however soccer moms would rejoice at 47mpg.

Toyota showcases its global hybrid family - Chicago Tribune

hybridbear likes this.
  17. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No Corolla Hybrid for US in 2014 model year, instead there is the 2014 Toyota Corolla LE Eco with 35 mpg combined.

18. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Not so fast. Honda hybrids pretty much sell like crap these days: 500 ish Civic Hybrids / month here, 400 some for Insight II (the big Prius killer, remember) and CR-Z. Word is 2006 -2009 Civic Hybrid had Very high battery failure rates, and replacement batteries booted new 'software' into the car and apparently leaving it with something a tick or two over 30 MPGs combined.

Accord Hybrid huh? 196 total HP. 3,500 lbs curb weight. 0 to 60 in like, 7.5 seconds. what is Cd, .29?

Apparently this thing is going to get tagged with 50/45/47 MPG. Didn't Fusion Hybrid show us something? They outfoxed EPA ratings which helps their CAFE ratings.

I'm not taking the bait. I don't think Accord Hybrid will get 47 combined. I'll wager 42 MPG combined real world.

19. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Nah, Toyota Motor Corp. only has about 69% market share in US for hybrids.

20. sURFNmADNESS

sURFNmADNESS Prii Family

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    So far I have not seen any great new engineering advance with the new solutions. The last one I had actual hope in was Hyundai Sonata Hybrid with their insulated engine. That made sense to retain heat, however it did not pan out in the MPG. While maybe good for getting back to ICE mode quickly, it proved not to be the big hit on MPG.

The next advancement will need to be finding another way to heat and cool the car without affecting the MPG. (solar boost - I had hopes but Prius crushed that hope). The other would need to be how to make the car squeeze even more MPG out of the engine. (possibly fuel cells) Reducing weight, resistance and tire advancement have pretty much plateaued. Only small advances seem to be happening with these technologies.

I embrace the other car companies attempts. Competition, despite how small shows there is need to keep developing the technology. Plus, more people driving hybrids will result in more people understanding my hypermiling, coasting and driving a couple mph under the speed limit in low traffic times. :)

hybridbear likes this.