1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Honda Accord Hybrid Supply Tight (non-existent)

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by ggood, Dec 30, 2013.

1. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    hybridbear, cwerdna and wjtracy like this.
  2. Stevevee

Stevevee Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Honda's being careful hopefully. They released the car before building many, tends to keep prices higher, and it's easy to gauge demand. It wouldn't surprise me if they didn't plan it that way to have lesser supply in the colder months here.

wjtracy, Trollbait and snead_c like this.
  3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    We can already see how low mpgs on Fuelly from sub zero temperatures can give the car a poor impression to the public.

It sucks if you want the car now, but it is better to wait in the long run. Let any first year issues be resolved, and avoid the Honda dealer mark up.

wjtracy likes this.
  4. dipper

dipper Senior Member

Besides, why sell in the US for potential lost profit, when you can sell the same car in Europe and Japan for full MSRP?

Guess Honda only selling a few to gauge demands, and to keep the demand more than supply. Kill two birds with one stone.

wjtracy likes this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I can wait.

I'd need to see Honda:

1. Bring a hybrid to market, in greater volume than a novelty item.
    2. Be responsive to customers when problems arise.

If they can manage that for one generation, I might be interested in the next.

hybridbear likes this.
  6. SwhitePC

SwhitePC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I don't get how they would gauge demand with a few???

Anyway, it sounds like their new Accord hybrid is too good to be true like most things in life

hybridbear likes this.
  7. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Ever since Honda introduced the Insight (1999) and had thousands of them sitting in dealer lots, not selling, they have been "lost" when it comes to hybrids. They seemed to reach the conclusion "People don't want 70mpg insight or 50mpg Civics..... what they really want is sport!" That's how we ended-up with the Accord Hybrid V6 which got a lousy mid-30s and barely sold. It was discontinued after only 3 years! Next they introduced larger-engined Insights and CRZs, to once again push this "sporty hybrid" idea, and those too flopped (this is the last year).

After all these failures, I think Honda is being cautious with the new Accord Hybrid I4. The guys in charge are probably afraid it will be another poor seller.

It's a shame that Honda did not stick with its original goal: Make the car as high in MPG as possible. If they had released the Accord Hybrid I4 back in 2004, with the same efficient engine the Civic had (50mpg) I think it would have sold like a blockbuster. But Honda steered down the wrong path. :(

hybridbear and GBC_Texas_Prius like this.
  8. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They sold over 500 in US in Nov. Let's see how many in Dec. in next week Market Dashboard.

hybridbear likes this.
  9. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Found two Accord Hybrids (no plug-ins) in the Dallas Fort Worth Area to check this week.

In 2006 I wanted to check out the Prius and there were none in stock to test drive. To top that, there was a 3 month wait on confirmed orders with a $3,000-$4,000 mark up over MSRP.

Sound familiar?

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, except they were making pri as fast as possible, not witholding to drive up demand.

11. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    What Honda should do is take their Civic HF model, which gets 29/42 mpg all by itself, and then add IMA to it. Help boost the city rating.

hybridbear likes this.
  12. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Un, .... duh , then it would be a Civic Hybrid model.

Was that a serious suggestion??

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    of course.;)

14. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I can understand why Honda is being cautiously optimistic. I applaud their efforts in continuing to promote hybrid technology after several "failed" attempts (HAH-I, Insight-I... though I would classify the Insight as a working theory as to what's possible than a failed attempt).

The current HAH-II looks impressive. Prius-like mpg, midsize sedan category, optional tech if you want it and a base model if you don't, reasonably good looks and good pricing. It'll be interesting to see what Toyota does with the Camry Hybrid.

In Canada, the Camry Hybrid is the best selling hybrid (or maybe was? I'm not sure if the Prius has surpassed it by now as I know Toyota Canada wants the Prius to the best selling model). I've yet to try the Accord Hybrid but on paper, it does seem to check all the boxes. The only questions now are whether current Accord owners will trade up to one, whether those considering a Camry Hybrid would give Honda a chance and whether those looking at a Prius for fuel economy may look at the Accord and say "yeah I guess I could give up the hatchback for a sedan design" and something that's (typically) more fun to drive.

It starts at $29,590 in Canada ($35,690 for the Touring) so it's within the TCH's range but the Touring has more tech than the TCH XLE w/ Leather & Moonroof Package and the base model has more features than the base TCH XLE.

hybridbear likes this.
  15. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  16. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Two sources, cars.com and Edmunds both show only 2 Accord Hybrids within 75 miles of 94587 zip code which is in SF East Bay area. Tight supply indeed.

17. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Rolling introduction of new models makes it possible to train technicians so that a bad service reputation doesn't develop.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    true, but if you aren't expecting many problems, it's really unnecessary.

19. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    No such thing a a problem free machine...trust me! Cars.com database shows 326 with no mileage limit on search.

20. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A