1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Honda Accord Hybrid Supply Tight (non-existent)

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by ggood, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Wasn't there once a report about the Japan built Camry having more problems than the US made one?

As long as build quality is a priority for the head and heart of the company, it shouldn't be an issue for their products no matter where they are built.

Honda has had issues with design quality. The pertinent one being the issue with the hybrid Civic's battery control. The negative perception from that has some taking a wait and see with the new Accord, and may be a factor in Honda's slow rollout as they take extra time in quality control.

2. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Today I had about an hour to check the 2014.5 Camry Hybrid LE model (mid level). Note, these are initial impressions as compared the 2014 Accord Hybrid base model and my 2010 Prius II (base).

The trunk of the Camry is bigger than the Accord with the right side rear seat only that does fold forward (not flat) with a pass through "hole", which is how the video indicated skis could be stored inside. Rear head room is slightly better. Interior comfort (for me) was given to the Accord. Interior quality of the Camry was between the Accord and the Prius with less of the bio-plastic we all know. Actually the dash had similarities to the 2013 RAV4.

Drive-ability is "much" better than the Prius and very close to that of the Accord. One thing very apparent is Camry's 2.0L Synergy felt much more refined as compared to my Prius 1.8L. Camry had no back-up or side camera. Styling goes to the Accord, but that is subjective.

Warranty: Accord, 3/36, 5/50 poertrain, 8/100 hybrid (non-CARB)...Camry, 3/36, 6/60, 8/100.
    Rated MPG Accord...50 city/47/45 hwy. Camry...43/41/39...but some sources differ.

Still trying to figure the difference between a 2014 and 2014.5 Camry Hybrid.

Now for brakes. The Camry does not have any of the "acceleration" issues the Prius still demonstrates, and I know how to duplicate that one. The Accord brakes were perfect by my standards.

I am going to spend a lot of time on this decision, but the Accord is winning so far.

hybridbear likes this.
  3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There's as 2014.5 TCH? I wasn't aware they released a mid-year update (It doesn't happen often, the last one that I can remember is the 2000.5 Passat). What's new?

4. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    There are discrepancies on advertised MPG, but not sure what the differences (if any) are yet.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I see that the multimedia system has been updated.

There's a new 6.1" high resolution version has an "App" button like the 6.1" and includes HD predictive traffic, weather with doppler radar overlay and will show gas stations when the low fuel light comes on. There's no longer a 7" HDD option.

hybridbear likes this.
  6. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The XLE hybrid has slightly lower ratings due to the larger wheels. Could that be what you are seeing?

Also, was the Camry one of the cars given improvements for the IIHS offset test? I don't see that affecting fuel economy unless it added a good amount of weight.

hybridbear likes this.
  7. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I did not play with the radio except to hear the sound quality still sucks. Do remember there were both a USB and 3.5 jacks and thought I saw traffic and gas listed on one of the menus. Was not a priority at this stage of research though.

8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Radio - Schmadio ... maybe it's just me, but keep the radio ... I'm a holdout nowadays for plugs only:

[​IMG]

And the guy who parks next to my plugin LOVES his accord - including its EV range & mpg's. He said it was just sitting on the lot - as well as a regular Accord plug in (canceled order?).

hybridbear likes this.
  9. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Might consider adding the Accord Plug-In to my list of prospectives however, initial search shows 10 each only in the whole US available...all in CA or NY. Even with flight benefits, not worth my effort to fully explore this vehicle. Bad enough there is only one each within 50 miles of the regular hybrid for me to check out.

Say what you will, but we do not get all the toys here in Texas that "some" of the CARB state get. We don't even get the Prius Plug-In here. I considered leasing a Fit EV, but it is not allowed out of the target states...no exceptions.

austingreen likes this.
  10. SwhitePC

SwhitePC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    frodoz737 likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not a bad review, but honestly, some people make the sound/vibration of the ice coming on to be that of a freight train when in reality, it is hardly noticeable. even to passengers who have never experienced a hybrid, they never ask me, 'what the heck was that?':cool:

12. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I found the brake acclimator noise more distracting on the gen2 Prius than the ICE kicking on.

13. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This is "my opinion" but the Prius I own, and the few other hybrids I have checked out, are so quiet to begin with that all the weird noises just stand out. More of a differential thing you get accustomed to.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's true, but i never really noticed. and i wasn't deaf back in '04.:cool:

15. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Yea ... I much more prefer the old noise ... like radiator fans, valve tappets, squeeky belts, squeeky water pumps, the sound of a 6 running on five, back firing . . . ah the good ol' days . . . less weird, much more acceptable
    ;)

16. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Don't get me wrong, but the deep throat-ed thunder of a performance big block still gets me h-rd, but if I can't have one, she can't either.

17. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Note Camry Hybrid has a 2.5L ICE :eek:

18. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    oOOOH, keep an eye out on those Accord Plug-in plastic wheelcovers. They are beyond ugly. Seriously, barf!!

19. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  20. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four

Hub caps have nothing to do with this decision process, but thanks again.