1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Honda Accord Hybrid Supply Tight (non-existent)

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by ggood, Dec 30, 2013.

1. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

That's odd. I would have a MAJOR issue in buying a $40,000 car with seriously ugly plastic wheelcovers on top of its wheels. To each his or her own.

2. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Considering the "plug-In" is not on my list, still a non-issue for me.

3. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Ok. Have to say I like the Accord Hybrid wheels better than the EX / L models. More edgy looking with their sawblade type pattern.

4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    If that's such a lovely sound - why does everyone get pissed, at 4 a.m. when the neighbor works on his hot rod .... that should be music to your ears ... No?
    ;)

5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    For the same reason they'd get pissed when their favorite band is being blasted through the neighbor's stereo at 4am.;)

6. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  7. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Cars.com showing 20 HAH's within 100 miles of 94587. Stock has increased. Was 2 units couple weeks ago.

8. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I find that the prius does indeed make some wierd and disturbing noises. I just turn the music up, and cover it up. It definitely could use some more sound deadeing matrials, and a different tune to the ice;) That may add a touch of cost and weight, which might hurt sales of the prius. The reviews of the fusion hybrid, and my personal experience in it, makes these noises quieter. Perhaps honda should look at what ford is doing there, but the big thing against the accord hybrid is going to be how honda poorly handled the battery situation on the civic hybrid, and it being a new system. I don't think they will get the take rate of the camry hybrid or fusion hybrid until this beast has been in the market a few years to see how well the system holds up.

hybridbear likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hycam is extremely quiet, relatively speaking. i'm sure the hyacc is as well. hard to believe there's much to notice when ice fires. these vehicles are a blend of fuel economy and luxury, prius is mpg leader and doubtless toyota would like it to stay there.

10. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    IIRC, the first Accord hybrid used a noise cancelling system like in the Ford hybrids. Its ICE also supposedly sounded like a helicopter when the cylinder deactivation was active.

11. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    One of the earliest mods I saw discussed in 'Prius Technical Stuff' were sound insulation efforts. Although I can appreciate our Prius are a little noisier than I care for, I'm amused that "Bell the Hybrid" bill was passed because we are 'too quiet.'

Honda Accord pioneers are a bit like those of us who bought the 2010 when it first came out. We have had two recalls that later adopters never had to face:
    • brake pause - a software upgrade to the brake controller
    • brake accumulator bellows cracks - a hardware upgrade
    Then we also had to discover the uncorrected problems:
    • no CHECK ENGINE LIGHT when last of gas is burned - for which there is an undocumented power arrow workaround
    • inadequate instrumentation - for which we buy our own, after market ones
    • inadequate 110VAC supply - for which we buy our own, after market ones
    • inadequate tow bar - for which we buy our own, after market ones
    There are others but this is my short list.

Bob Wilson

cwerdna and hybridbear like this.
  12. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I didn't realize that it had deactivation on the hybrids ice. That is really cool. VW has it on a turbocharged 4, but this would be the first implementation in a normally aspirated 4 cyclinder in a production vehicle. Perhaps they should have a switch to turn off the deactivation;) for those that it bothers too much. BMW does this on their stop start.

13. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    With only one test drive each of the new 2014 Camry Hybrid and 2014 Accord Hybrid, I will say they both beat the 2010 Prius for noise, drive-train and brake transition noticeably...what ever the reason.

14. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It seems that Honda brought out their variable cylinder management in the 2003 Inspire. Thanks to the noise cancellation, you only heard it in the old Accord hybrid with the windows open. My parents' CrossTour has it. You only know it's on by a green ECO light on the instrument cluster. Didn't think of opening the window though.

These are all 6 cylinders. That was the first Accord hybrid's downfall. It wasn't designed to maximize fuel use. It was fuel efficient for power output, but that wasn't what hybrid buyers wanted at the time.

It would appear the first 4 cylinder with variable displacement was made by Mitsubishi in 1982.
    Variable displacement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

15. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Honda's first try with this type of power train vs Toyota's 10 plus years experience with their hybrid power train, I put my money with experience and bought a new Avalon hybrid.

cwerdna, hybridbear and bwilson4web like this.
  16. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Sold the Prius or keeping it?

Bob Wilson

17. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Sold the Prius don't know how to get rid of the Fuelly thing, but managed to get the new car on.

18. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Let me suggest keep the Prius Fuelly thing until the Honda has the same number of tanks, say 85?

Then we can compare the record for both vehicles, adjusted for day in the year, and get a better idea of how each vehicle worked out.

Bob Wilson

19. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Are you talking about the banner in your signature or the Fuelly entry?
    You just delete the code block in the signature.
    On the car's page on you Fuelly dashboard, there is an edit button next to the car's name/title. At the bottom of the edit page, there are buttons to retire or remove the car. Retire likely keeps the car's data up and available, but you check on the Fuelly/Gassavers forum to make sure what each does, and I can say hi to you there.

20. hybridbear

hybridbear Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    We owned a 2006 Accord Hybrid before we got our FFH in December 2012. It didn't do very well in the city, 24 MPG, but it did really well on the freeway. You could feel the cylinder deactivation turn on and off. The green Eco light was on even when all 6 cylinders were active if instant MPG was higher than a certain threshold. On the freeway we could average about 40 MPG at 65 MPH. On one couple hundred mile highway trip on 55-60 MPH two lane highways we averaged 46 MPG in our old Accord Hybrid. It was a great highway vehicle, but not a city cruiser.

Ultimately, we sold it to get the FFH because the Accord interior design was terrible and was very uncomfortable with lots of hard plastics and an uncomfortable seat. We averaged 29 MPG in the 13,000 miles that I tracked MPG at the pump. Pretty good for a V6 with over 250 HP!!!

cwerdna and austingreen like this.