1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Honda Accord PHEV: 115 MPGe for $39,780

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by lensovet, Nov 30, 2012.

1. slcMPG

slcMPG Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This is interesting. Could be nice for PiP Gen2.

electric water heater allow the car to stay in EV mode longer

lensovet likes this.
  2. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Trunk? I thought that was the glove box.

lensovet likes this.
  3. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Now here's a trunk. Out of the phevs really the only one designed for the battery is the volt - and there are complaints. I'm sure there will be some that are fine with the accord, others will choose the c-max for space for more stuff and more range, or the prius phv for room for more stuff but less aer. Both cost over $6K less
    [​IMG]

4. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    People do it all the time on cars costing more...or less. All sounds like an OMG hysteria from Toyota fan boys worried about Honda having an plug in hybrid sedan before Toyota.

5. Much More Better

Much More Better Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Name me a sedan that you think has a smaller trunk. It looks wide but ridiculously shallow. I would sacrifice trunk space in a Miata or a Porsche, but not this.

6. Much More Better

Much More Better Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm....... Hockey gear last night. Brought home a 6ft rack from Ikea 2 hours ago. Hockey gear in 2 days. My back seats are flat full-time.

7. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Does anyone know the official trunk size on this PHEV?

The NGV Civic has a tiny trunk. 2012 Honda Civic Natural Gas - Specifications - Official Honda Website says 6.1 cu ft.

8. ProximalSuns

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Oh my goodness. I guess you better not buy a Camry Hybrid or a Ford Fusion hybrid with their small trunks.

9. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It looks to be a good alternative for Fusion Energi. More EV efficiency (115 vs 100 MPGe) and gas efficiency (46 vs. 41 MPG) but less EV range (13 vs. 21 mi).

PiP remain to be the only plugin without compromise in the cargo space.

10. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Remember the countless comments insisting Prius must be more like a "normal" vehicle, from traditional to hybrid?

It's ironic now that from the hybrid to plug-in perspective, Prius is the only one that actually is.

lensovet likes this.
  11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The back seat obviously does not fold down. That was the story with our previous (2nd gen) Civic Hybrid.

Recollect when I was first driving the Prius, shoulder checking and thinking: "Hang on, I can see all the way to the back of the hatch". Ever the educated car shopper...

lensovet likes this.
  12. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Lol you're kidding right? Honda has been selling how many hybrids a year, and you think THIS is the car that's going to turn it around? PiP is having trouble selling with an MSRP that's 7k lower, but this thing is going to be flying off the lots!
    Yeah, I remember being real "worried" when the redesigned Insight came out. Funny how that car canibalized HCH sales rather than Toyota hybrid sales
    And, pray tell, how many Civic NGVs are sold every year? Lol
    Looks can be deceiving and we don't have exact numbers, but I'm pretty sure that those cars have bigger trunks. They also have fold-down seats, which this car definitely doesn't.

13. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    FWIW, Civic NGV sales are pretty tiny per October 2012 Dashboard | Hybrid Cars. I see some every now and then on the road.

14. lensovet

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Lol sales of all Honda hybrids are equal roughly to the number of Lexus RX400h hybrids in October. YTD, their sales are about half of Prius c sales.
    Yeah, us Toyota "fanboys" are really worried.
    Edit: speaking of the devil: the Prius c has very little cargo space; probably about the same as this Accord. But, it's got two mitigating factors: the rear seats food down and it costs $20k less.

15. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

All of the Phevs right now have horrible trunks except Volt and Prius.
    Camry, Avalon, Fusion, ES300h have 2x bigger trunks than this Honda.... Camry specifically has 13.1 cuft.

But as I said, Honda Hybrid is the real deal here with 47 combined and probably very nice, usable, trunk.

lensovet likes this.
  16. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ^^^
    Yeah, Toyota hybrid sales have been decimating Honda hybrid sales for a long time. I'm not surprised. There are a couple bizarro anti-Toyota, Honda hybrid fanboys on places like greenhybrid.com. :rolleyes: (One of them has an Insight II aka the one that looks like a Prius and adamantly refuses a Prius, even if given to him.)

Well, there are some reasons to buy a NGV Civic... It's eligible for CA HOV stickers, has no battery to replace and for those w/anti-hybrid anti-battery reasons/feelings (right or wrong), it's not a hybrid. Also, the US has plenty of natural gas. We don't need to import it, unlike oil.

But per My Nissan Leaf Forum • View topic - Leaf vs Civic NGV (from a Civic GX (aka NGV version) owner), the tank MUST be replaced after 15 years.

17. lensovet

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The other problem is that it has a small tank and pretty mediocre fuel economy. When the yellow stickers expired last year, my mom was looking for options to replace her 2003 Prius. The GX would have required her to fill up 4 times as frequently due to the relatively small size of the tank and the poorer fuel economy numbers. And then there was the issue of where to fill it.
    People can be irrational. But to straight-out deny that the trunk in this car is tiny, that this makes it impractical for a large portion of the population, and that this factor (among others) makes this car ridiculously overpriced and doomed to failure (from a number of sales perspective) is just silly.

18. ProximalSuns

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    But those are hybrids not plug in versions. Point was that Sedan's have half the space of hatchbacks and plug in sedans, of which Honda is the first, will have even smaller trunk space.

No one buys a hybrid and certainly no one is going to buy a plug in hybrid for the cargo area. A good looking sedan that gets 100 mpg is what buyers are looking for. Honda's PHEV meets that goal and is first to market with it.

Fusion Energi should be next later this year and I'm sure there is a Camry PHEV about to debut.

The Fusion PHEV has a very small cargo area but someone posted that the back seat folds down which is key for me to get skis in the car vs. having to get a ski carrier for the roof or on the trunk.

But getting 100 mpg in a great looking car with lots of tech is what I'm looking for and Honda is first to that market with that car.

19. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

But you are talking about both all the time?

You have to have decent trunk in any car, especially sedan. You dont have to have a minivan if you want 13cuft trunk.

What exactly are you going to use your 40k sedan that can fit 5 people with trunk that cant hold two bags?

That makes no sense... and nobody will buy these cars.

20. ProximalSuns

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You don't and small cars in general and hybrids in particular and plug in hybrids especially are going to have small cargo areas.

Cargo area is low on the list on the buying algorithm.

If the Fusion Energi hybrid has 20EV miles and I can get 100 mpg in a great looking car with lots of tech, I can put my skis on a trunk rack that doesn't require a lot of work and has little impact on day to day driving mpg.

If I have to choose BETWEEN PHEV's, it is a tradeoff between good looks of Fusion vs. inside ski storage on a CMAX. I carry skis 30 days a year vs. cool looking car 365 days a year.