1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Honda Accord PHEV: 115 MPGe for $39,780

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by lensovet, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    According to Honda's site the Accord PHV is only being sold in NY and Ca.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It will be sold in Canada too (across the country).

3. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    So what?
    The point was that for average consumers, 8 cu ft of cargo space will be unacceptable. The lure of a plug will not be sufficient to counteract that, especially when there are other plug-in alternatives that don't force such a compromise, as well as sedan alternatives whose yearly fuel expenses are not much greater and whose cargo capacity similarly doesn't require compromises.

Given the mediocre sales of the HAPI, it seems that the market mostly agrees with that analysis.

4. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The Fusion Energi is selling well in relation to Fusion hybrid sales, and it has about the same size trunk as the Accord PHV. So it isn't the trunk space that is the issue. What is the issue is that for the price of the Fusion-E, the HAPI has the EV range of the PPI. While the Ford might have suspect gas efficiency numbers, it does deliver twice the EV range.

Then Honda dealers adding $1000 of dealer installed extras, and then a $4000 mark up because they can, isn't going to help sales.

5. lensovet

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Well as you say the fusion gets twice the range.
    But also, fusion plug is selling at about 12% of non-plug. HAPI is selling at 20% of HCH and ~13% of Insight sales, and that's only with sales in just two states. So you could easily argue that fusion plug and HAPI are actually selling at relatively similar rates and consumers find low cargo space similarly problematic for both of them.
    I suspect, btw, the the amenities you get for the money, even at MSRP, are much better in the Ford, even ignoring the doubled EV range.

6. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Is Honda preventing out of state sales? Is pent up demand driving sales? The Fusion hybrid was available in previous years with the first generation. The Accord hybrid has been off the market for years. While the PHV has less cargo space, it is more comfortable in the cabin than the Civic and Insight. We'll probably have to wait until the HAPI expands its market and the non-plug in is available to draw clear conclusions.

The take rate of the C-max Energi is the same has the Fusion. It loses cargo space, but has a hatchback the impact is less with the greater amount to begin with. For comparison, without loss of cargo space, the Prius PHV take rate, adjust for the limited states it's for sale in, is a little better than 7%. Despite the reduction of cargo space, a C-max or Fusion hybrid shopper is twice as likely as a Prius shopper to go plug in.

7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Before the Accord thread becomes a Zombie ... I saw this in our employee parking today, speaking of sales in Cali ... my 1st one in the wild/in the flesh :

[​IMG]

I just hope it does well. Oh and yes ... one more plug-in fighting for the limited number of charge stalls. Even so, I'm glad I get to see the day that crowded away-from-home charge spots would become an issue :)

john1701a and austingreen like this.
  8. dipper

dipper Senior Member

I just did some zip code searches on truecar.com. If one is to look outside of money making metro areas, the HAPI price is actually $1000 under MSRP. So I assume one can do a little better with self negotiation.

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  10. lensovet

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    still expensive as balls

11. rjdriver

rjdriver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Sorry to be so late answering this. 4 cyl and auto. The tranny went at 22,000 miles, still under warrantee. No problem there, although it turned out to be just one of many engineering lapses in the car. It was mainly the little matter of what should have been a 7 1/2 cent fuse in the fuse box to control some of the dash lights, that instead was a 7 1/2 cent resistor on a $750.00 circuit board inside the radio, that Honda refused to fix under their extended warrantee for just that issue. But there were other engineering oddities and annoyances that indicated to me the possibility of either an entirely new engineering staff in Japan, or possibly a US engineering staff. I decided after a lifetime of loyalty to the brand, it was time for a change - at least for autos.

SAronian and Tracksyde like this.