1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Honda Clarity Plug-in

Discussion in 'Honda/Acura Hybrids and EVs' started by bwilson4web, Sep 12, 2017.

1. frozenmba

frozenmba Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    to the clarity owners, does the engine start when the heater is on? I heard the sonata plug in starts the engine when the heater is on.

Can someone also post longer gas mpg?

2. animatorelt

animatorelt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I live in California, where the temp has been >55 F. ICE has not engaged for me when heater turned on.

3. bfd

bfd Plug-In Perpetuator

Close to SDSU in the Far Southwest Corner of Cali
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    No ICE when heater is turned on during our recent SoCal "cold snap" (yes, it'd be termed a mild start of spring everywhere else east of the desert - but we're not used to highs in the low 50s around here! And nights in the high 30's? Crazy Frozen Nights!)

Mileage hasn't been possible yet because I've only had one fill-up since mid-December, and Fuelly won't calculate it until the next one. However, assuming the tank was full when I bought it, the MPGe for tank one was 154.54… not bad when you consider the same trips as I made on my Prius at 64.7. The increased EV range makes a huge difference.

Merkey likes this.
  4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    After a couple nasty winter drives into Tahoe valley & over the contental divide ... SoCal never looked better
    2017-12-28 09.47.05.jpg
    We love our AWD - but hope we never ever have to depend on it again

5. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I can vouch for the Clarity having effective electric heat.
    I went with my daughter for a test drive in 40 °F weather and we got uncomfortably warm quickly without use of the ICE.

bisco likes this.
  6. frozenmba

frozenmba Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Does it have timing belt or chain?

What’s the maintenance schedule look like?

7. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  8. jdonalds

jdonalds Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Touring
    Either way my engine has only run for perhaps 3 hours since we bought the Clarity Dec 5. The car now has almost 4.000 miles. For us the Clarity is ideal. We live in a small city and drive less than 30 miles at a time. We recharge at home, then may drive to appointments again. So our daily car use is full electric. Only on trips out of town do we use the ICE. So while it's nice to have the chain drive it will be a very long time until the engine has enough hours to worry about.

The Honda app is telling me the car needs to be serviced in 3 months. Perhaps I will bring it in as the initial check-up then. But I'll wait a year between oil changes. Some owners are installing a gas engine hour meter so they can know when to have service done. Sadly the car doesn't have a built in engine our meter like many boats do.

9. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Honda has a pretty sophisticated service monitor that tracks things like the mileage, engine hours, load, rpms, and various temperatures. I have only experience with GM's oil life monitor which watches such parameters, but it sounds like Honda's system is a step above.

These aren't like Toyota's service minder light that only tracks the miles the car was driven.

dstrauss likes this.
  10. TOMK777-Clarity-Plug-In

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Because it's lugging around 17 KWH of battery, not 2KWH as in the accord

11. TOMK777-Clarity-Plug-In

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    47 in our experience is low on the all electric range, were routinely getting 52-56 all electric miles per charge, enough to use it as a full electric while in town, and for my wife's commute. As for hybrid mode mpg, the all electric miles have to be factored in, in any total mpg average on a longer trip, with those factored in, actual mpg is far better than 42 mpg.
    On a recent trip from Lake Forest, CA to Scottsdale, AZ, we drove a total of 783 miles, and drove 260 of those on full electric, stopping once each way to eat and shop while charging, and recharging at the Hotel while in Scottsdale, that's 33% all electric, so the actual true mpg is far higher than 42mpg. On that trip it worked out to 62.64 mpg, not bad for a car that's bigger than a Honda Accord.

Salamander_King likes this.
  12. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, that's very good number. Are they mostly hwy drive or mixed with city drive? On my Prime which has EPA rating of 54mpg (gas only), I routinely get above 60mpg on HV mode, but if Clarity can deliver that milage, I may have to rethink my next purchase, if I ever decide to go for another PHV sedan.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i noticed on bobw's latest chart they are starting to sell quite well.

14. nhguy78

nhguy78 whirr...........

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Went for a Clarity Touring PHEV test drive today. As a two-time Prius owner (Gen 2 and Gen 3 Plug-in Advanced) I'm quite giddy at the thought of owning one. Here's a really short synopsis of what I liked/didn't like:

- bigger, roomier feeling than Prius
    - more powerful - able to accelerate harder than PiP in EV mode
    - Longer EV range, I think, than new Prime Advanced
    - lower fuel economy than my current Prius and Prime Advanced
    - smaller fuel tank than Current Prius and Prime Advanced
    - Trunk/hatch area is a tighter squeeze than my current Prius. Current Prius is liftback with fully folding seats. Clarity has folding seats but still only has a pass-through. I went shopping at IKEA one time and was able to get a complete queen-sized bed set in the vehicle along with other items. I will have to remember this.
    - no heated steering wheel in Clarity as opposed to Prius Prime Advanced
    - more driver-centric controls in Clarity
    - less obnoxious touchscreen in Clarity
    - lane keep camera, side view cameras for blind spot protection
    - interesting option to pause Sirius-XM (allows recording)
    - slightly ugly (IMO) tire well aerodynamic panel on Clarity - perhaps worried about winter road sludge buildup.
    - IMO, overall better/sportier look on Clarity - looks like an every day sedan.

15. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    For the life of me, I can't figure why Clarity didn't have lumbar support seating - at least for the driver, if not both driver & front passenger. We found that inexplicable.

16. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Our Canadian version doesn't get a power driver's seat, even in Touring trim. I find that inexplicable.

17. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The LX and hybrid Accord don't get lumbar support, and the base Clarity PHEV doesn't get power seats. It is about pinching pennies to reach a price point.

18. MaxLegroom

MaxLegroom Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Interesting to see so much interest in the Clarity. I saw one at the car show, then decided I needed to take a test drive. I am very impressed, want one for the quiet, the mileage and the vaguely Citroen looks. It's been a long time since I've been to PriusChat in general, good to see it still around.

19. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  20. wanderso

wanderso Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    The “new” to us ‘06 Prius is an 82k miles one owner that we purchased from a Honda dealer recently. The prior owner went for the Clarity. We are glad that they did because we got their babied Prius.

Now I just need to get to know them for when they upgrade again. Or keep watching our neighbor who is a few years away from giving up driving. They have done: Honda Civic Hybrid > 2 Gen Prius, 3rd Gen, and now a Prius Prime plug-in. I should have purchased their 3rd Gen but wasn’t quite in the market yet.

2006 Prius Base