1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Honda drive sounds interesting

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Jun 11, 2017.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: Green Car Congress: Honda launches 2017 Accord Hybrid; 2nd generation two-motor hybrid powertrain

Engine block, crankshaft and pistons. The engine has a displacement of 1993cc. Cast-in iron cylinder liners provide long-lasting durability.

Cylinder head and valvetrain. The Accord Hybrid 4-cylinder engine has a lightweight cylinder head that is made of pressure-cast aluminum alloy. A silent chain drives dual overhead cams and four valves per cylinder. The cam drive is maintenance free throughout the life of the engine.

i-VTEC valve control system. The Accord Hybrid’s 2.0-liter DOHC 16-valve i-VTEC engine uses an advanced valve-control system to combine high power output with high fuel efficiency and low emissions.

High-efficiency dual bed catalytic converter. A key contributor to the Accord Hybrid’s excellent emissions performance is a single dual bed catalytic converter that replaces the previous engine’s two converters.

Heat recovery device. The new heat recovery device contributes to the second-generation i-MMD’s efficiency by helping to reduce power-robbing friction particularly during initial cold weather operation.

Electric motors. The 2017 Accord Hybrid uses two electric motors, a propulsion motor that drives the wheels and a generator motor that produces electricity, both of which have been upgraded from the previous generation i-MMD for more power, smaller size and lighter weight.

Intelligent Power Unit (IPU). The Accord Hybrid's intelligent Power unit (IPU), located behind the rear seat, packages a DC-DC converter and a 1.3 kWh Li-Ion battery pack that powers the Accord Hybrid’s electric propulsion motor.

Power Control Unit (PCU). The Power Control Unit (PCU), which is the real brains of the i-MMD system, dictates the power management strategy of the two-motor hybrid system, including motor power and battery recharge.

Drive force transfer. The Accord Hybrid is not equipped with a conventional mechanical transmission. Instead, motive force transfer is accomplished through the interaction of the Accord Hybrid’s gasoline engine and two electric motors.

Automatic modes. The transmission, with its console-mounted straight-gate shifter, can be operated in two different fully automatic modes.

Electric engine accessories. The Accord Hybrid's engine accessories operate electrically, both for maximum efficiency and to allow their operation whether the gasoline engine is running or not.

It punches all of my buttons and coming out next model year.

Bob Wilson

Mendel Leisk and CoastRider like this.
  2. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It reads a lot like a Hybrid Camry. The engine is smaller though.

3. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That's a year old article, by the way, referring to the current model. There is a new model being introduced though for next model year.

4. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The model in the article did not work as well as expected? Or are they just trying to stay ahead of the competition?

5. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    More that they're replacing the Accord with a new generation to keep up with/stay ahead of the competition, so there'll be further updates.

6. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thanks very much for the link, interesting. We had our share of Accords, but after the Prius: I would be a lot more interested if they offered a hatchback version. I just can't go back to sedan now.

Shameless, frivolous link:

Second uhoh: dang, no spare.

#7 Mendel Leisk, Jun 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
    bisco likes this.
  8. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Completely different hybrid system; the engine is only driving the wheels at highway speeds.
    The traction motor has about 40 more horsepower than the current Camry hybrid's.

Mendel Leisk and bwilson4web like this.
  9. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  10. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    From a Hybrid standpoint, I simply see it as being another road....that leads to Rome.
    While Prius uses an e-CVT and a formal planetary gear based transmission orchestrated by Hybrid Synergy Drive and it's HCU, Honda seems to have employed Electric Motors, HV Battery and gasoline engine all orchestrated by a Power Control Unit, using an entire system that is in of itself it's own transmission.
    But IMO somewhat misleading and disingenuous to say it doesn't have a transmission. It has a system that employs gears and power transfer to create tire movement, and momentum.....it's a "different" system with no direct part anyone is calling 'The Transmission" but whether you want to call it "Drive Force Transfer" or magical fairy wings, it's still created energy being "transmitted" to gears and creating wheel spin. I'd call that a system that is a transmission unto itself.

In the end, it's gasoline engine, electric motors, and battery...all working in "synergy" to create petrol burning efficiency. Hybrid Rome.

11. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Anything that transfers power is a transmission.
    Virtually all automotive transmissions do more than that. They also allow the manipulation of the engine's output by having multiple gear ratios to select from.
    The Accord hybrid's transmission doesn't have multiple gear ratios; there is just the one. It's a BMX bike to the others' ten speed. If the HSD can be described as being as complex as a one speed manual, the Honda's Dual Motor can be describe as not having a transmission.

12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    if that's the case, then this is one heck of a simple transmission ...

2017-06-13 12.32.30.jpg

13. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    And that is all Honda's is most of the time.
    It is a one speed electric drive in which the ICE generator can clutch in to provide direct propulsion at higher speeds.
    The "no transmission" was a poor phrase(maybe a poor translation?), but it is probably the simplest transmission in an ICE car. Power split-hybrids, like the HSD, may not have a clutch, but they do have to juggle the the ICE and M/G inputs to simulate varying gear ratios.

14. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    IMHO this is not that simple. It has an electrical transmission, then a mechancal lock up gear.

mode 1 -> bev. That is what the tesla is like.
    mode 2 ->hybrid. Same as a modern diesel electric train.
    mode 3 -> mechanical lock up gear, similar to gear 6 in a 6 speed car. Requires clutch ;-)

Sounds similard to hsd. mode 1 is the same, honda is likely more efficient here as there should be less friction. Mode 2, different but more efficient at many speeds in hsd than in the honda. 2 mgs, but in the honda there is only an electrical not a mechanical connection. The hsd has a mechanical psd, which is pretty simple, but more complicated.

Mode 3 is where mechanically it is more complicated. here we need a gearing and a clutch. Here likely the honda is also more efficient for highway speeds, as I assume mechanical losses are lower than the electrical ones in the hsd.

Where the honda system is simpler is in software. prius software must do a dance to pick the right speed as mg1/mg2/engine are mechanically linked. Honda just needs to ask, does the battery have enough charge for power - mode 1. Is car going fast enough for mode 3? Else hybrid mode, with the motor just being in bev mode and the ice/generator doing what they need to do.

Explaining how Honda Accord Hybrid system works: video

15. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Let's take a quick look at these hybrids:
    model city highway combined pass ft{3} lug ft{3} (ft{3} mile) / gal
    1 2017 Ioniq Blue 57 59 58 96 27 7134
    2 2017 Ioniq 55 54 55 96 27 6765
    3 2017 Prius ECO 58 53 56 91 27 6608
    4 2017 Prius 54 50 52 91 27 6136
    5 2017 Accord 49 47 48 103 16 5712
    6 2017 Camry 42 38 40 103 13 4640

One column missing is TSS-P or equivalent (dynamic cruise control and collision avoidance) as a standard. The Prius and Camry have them as standard. The Ioniq it is an extra cost option. Not sure about the Accord.
    • Chris Hogan has defined an efficiency factor, last column, that shows the payload miles per gallon. This is the order of the models.
    • Camry hybrid is due for a significant efficiency upgrade BUT it may offer other features that buyers value.
    Still the Honda Accord has done good but faces other cars that have significantly higher efficiency factors.

Bob Wilson

#15 bwilson4web, Jun 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
    William Redoubt likes this.
  16. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Since the Camry is the Accord's main competition, the figures for the new 2018 Camry are the most important for comparison. Those numbers should be released in the next 2 or 3 months.

bwilson4web likes this.