1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Honda Fit Owners

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by camire, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I agree with you about the little things. Those little things added up make the Fit's interior better than the c.

2. hlunde

hlunde Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If interior space is a major consideration then the Hyundai Elantra Touring deserves a look, at about $1000 more than the Fit.

3. oldasdust

oldasdust Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah if you want to pay over msrp for the Elantra. 2 thousand $ market adjustment added to the price in my area.

4. dick_larimore

dick_larimore Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I presently own a 2012 Fit. I have driven a Prius C IV two times and have previously owned a 2002 and 2010 Prius, and a 2010 Honda Insight. The C is better than the Fit in mileage and it has better A/C (including auto climate control). In all other areas, the Fit is a better car. It has by far more cargo room, more head room, better acceleration, and handling is way, way better than the Prius C. I have no idea why Toyota makes the steering so "dead" in a Prius.

I traded my 2010 Prius II for a Fit because I just could not stand the poor handling and all the interior rattles. The C is much better than the standard Prius in terms of handling, but still second to a Fit. I am seriously thinking about a PC, but I am on the fence about giving up fun-to-drive for the better mileage.

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Since the OP keeps talking about more space in the Fit, then the OP should also consider the regular Prius (aka liftback).

As I've stated many times before, it just seems so backwards/archaic to drive conventional ICE vehicles. The engine uselessly runs and burns fuel when stopped and idling. All kinetic energy the car possessed when moving is lost as heat and brake dust when braking.

Despite me hearing accolades, I would never buy a Fit. The interior's cheap and it's not a hybrid (see above). Also, even though I'm not in favor of buying the largest, heaviest vehicle I can, it didn't hold up well when crashed into what I consider a mid-sized (but EPA calls a large car) Honda Accord (with a curb weight of ~3200-3600 lbs per http://automobiles.honda.com/certified-used/accord-sedan/2009/specifications.aspx?group=exterior). See http://www.iihs.org/news/rss/pr041409.html and video at http://www.iihs.org/video.aspx/releases/pr041409.

~3000-3700 lbs. is pretty typical of current midsized cars. Midsized SUVs and minivans typically are in the 4000+ lbs. range and then there are the monstrosity class SUVs in the 5200+ lb. range. Per http://www.epa.gov/otaq/cert/mpg/fetrends/2012/420s12001a.pdf (executive summary from http://www.epa.gov/otaq/fetrends.htm), curb weight of light vehicles sold for MY 2011 was 4084 lbs.

There are FAR too many monstrosity class SUVs running around in my area. Because of this and the above, I wouldn't buy the c either. (No offense intended to c owners.)

I also don't find the Fit visually appealing either.

6. Prissy

Prissy New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I owned a 2010 Honda Fit. The uncomfortable hard seats ended up being the dealbreaker for me along with the harsh noisy ride on the freeway. Otherwise, I absolutely adored the car. It has the BEST cargo space in a subcompact. It drives and handles beautifully--zippy and sharp.

I came within inches of trading in the 2010 for a 2012 Fit. I believe that Honda improved the seats and the noise (I test drove the 12 three times).

I thought long and hard about getting rid of my Fit. The PC costs more if you want the extra amenities a 3 or 4 offer (I opted for the 4 with the alloy wheels.) However, the gas mileage, smoother ride, enough cargo space, and Bluetooth/Navi really end up making the price comparable.

In the long run, I believe the PC will be a better long term car: less gas, less pollution, less maintenance. I think I probably subsidized the new wave of smaller hybrid vehicles with this purchase, and I'm ok with that.

In the best of both worlds, I'd keep the Fit and have the PC also:rockon:

revhigh likes this.
  7. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would be certain you like it enough first. I made the mistake of trading my Fit for a c and a month and a half later I have my Fit back. I lost some cash, but I'm super happy to have it back!

8. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I said the same thing lol!! Wish I could have one of each! Both really are great cars.

9. CinTarzana

CinTarzana New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    My husband has an 08 Fit and I just got a PC 3 last weekend. I pretty much agree with what everyone else has been saying - the space efficiency in the Fit is hands down better than the C. Just to give an idea, we fit an Ikea Vreta Recliner in the Fit (with ease). I just took a trip to Costco and my 1/2 filled grocery cart filled the trunk of the C.

In terms of mileage, my husband can get 40 mpg using gas-saving driving techniques on the Fit. My first commute today (16 miles in LA traffic going 30-40 mph) I got 78 mpg!! Just running errands I'm easily getting 60+.

If I had to choose, it'd come down to priorities. Both are comfortable (the Prius has a smoother ride, but the Fit has more zip). Mine is a commuter car, so the PC was a natural choice. My husband has to move equipment, takes trips to Home Depot, etc, so the Fit is good for him.

We looked into another Fit, but ultimately the cost difference was going to be like $3-4k. At the end of the day, I'd rather give my money to Toyota to develop more hybrids and electrics than the oil companies.

10. Prissy

Prissy New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I am with you. I know I paid 3-4k more for my PC than I would have buying a 2012 Fit with navi. The choice was really wrenching because I have driven Hondas for 30 years. Yet, I've had a couple Toyotas and they are every bit as reliable. Why does Honda not develop a hybrid Fit? I think it would be a SMASHING success!
    In the end, I went with the PC knowing that I was subsidizing their hybrid/electric development.

11. ewaboy

ewaboy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    IIRC - Honda sells a hybrid Jazz (Fit) but not in the US. We have a 2007 Fit and when rumors started of a hybrid US Fit a couple years back - I actually had the money ready to go. Never happened.:confused: Well - actually - the Insight (2) happened. I went to check it out and was rather underwhelmed.

Hybrid Jazz in the UK: http://www.honda.co.uk/cars/hybrids/#jazz

Hybrid Jazz in the UK - just click on the "2 Hybrid" box:
    Honda Jazz model grades

Maybe Honda decided to go EV with the Fit for the US market:
    Honda Fit EV Hatchback - Available Years

12. Prissy

Prissy New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I meant a hybrid Fit for the US. I know there is one in the UK. The interior of the EV is not very attractive at all.

13. ewaboy

ewaboy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Just as frustrated as you and everyone else. As I said - I was excited when rumors flew a couple years ago about a US Honda Fit hybrid. I had my money ready - even knowing the MPG would not be as great as the Toyota system.:mad:

14. Sean Solo

Sean Solo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Same here. I've been a Honda driver since 1986, but they've lost me for exactly this reason.

15. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Using truecar I just found local lowest price of a Fit is $16k, of a C it's $20k, for a $4k difference.

At 12,000/year and $4/gallon gas you burn maybe $640/year less gas in the C, so break-even at 6 years .However, after 6 years the c is worth more than the Fit, too, so break-even is probably more like 4.5 years (ballparking). It is a smaller vehicle from a functional perspective than the Fit, however.

I'm inclined to say, marginally, that from a purely objective perspective the Fit is the better car. However, I'd buy a c personally, most likely. This because although it has a negative hybrid image to some, to me it would be better; I just like hybrids, so all things equal I'd probably choose the hybrid.
    There is a GHASTLY one on the Prius liftback. I can honestly say I've nearly hit a pedestrian and also another car at a 4 way because I simply DID NOT see them; they weren't there; they were coming at me at a particular angle and speed that the a-piller completely blocked them from my view. My wife reports not having this problem at all, however.
    Basically $8k more than a Honda Fit base model, though.

16. Revan86

Revan86 Animal nerd and alt car guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    When my fit was crunched by a land rover and a jeep i went over to honda and was going to get a new fit. love the car and cant say a word bad about the car. What i will say though is that Toyota cooler tech, displays look nicer GPS works, voice command system, the whole mpg thing yeah. Have to say that or people will be mad. the thing is though the Fit gets GREAT gas milage if you drive it like it is a prius, which no does. Well other than me I think lol, I mean I was getting about 48-50 MPG with the Fit.

I did end up getting a PC4 and love the car. A lot easier to drive with all the voice commands that work.

I may end up trading it in for a Fit EV when they get just a little better but who knows if/when that will happen. The EV world is moving at lighting speed.

17. Starkie

Starkie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    We also have a 2008 Fit Sport aka Jazz (paddle shifters, alloy wheels, cost $14,500 new).
    It has been a terrific car averaging at least 34 MPG on Regular and more on a trip.
    The back seat is magic - you can load more into this car than many SUV's.

We also have a 2011 Prius IV which cost $29,xxx.
    It's also a terrific car averaging a repeatable 55 MPG on Regular but not sure about a trips since it hasn't yet.
    The sound system is the better than our Fit or the SRT-4 or the Sky Redline.
    The control ergonomics, not so much (just doesn't feel as well thought out as the Fit but obviously better than the Sky which is appalling or the SRT-4 which as usual is just a crappy taxicab with a jewel of a Mopar motor, as usual :) ) .