1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Honda guy going to make the switch! Anybody else out there?

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by mattylock, Mar 4, 2012.

1. ewaboy

ewaboy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    We've got a 2007 Fit Sport. Amazing design - very versatile vehicle and fun to drive. Wish they'd import the hybrid Fit/Jazz.:( A Fit hybrid would be everything the current Insight isn't.

2. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    My wife and I checked out the Prius 'c' this morning and came away thinking we would buy an iQ.

We did not test drive the 'c', but two negatives stood out right away: first, the attempt to include 3 separate compartments (storage, rear seats, and front seats) in a small car is going to result in one or two compartments being two small. In the 'c' case the rear passenger is quite cramped, and the storage area is on the small side. Mixed function design is a better approach IMO.

Second, the interior materials are ... well ... inexpensive. Clearly things had to give to make an $18k hybrid, and this is one area where cost cutting is apparent. The 'c' was not helped by our immediate comparison vehicle being the CTh we drove to the dealership.

On the plus side: the car looks grand from the outside. The proportions and lines are wonderful, quite a bit better than pictures.

3. belsouth

belsouth New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Agreed. I'd buy the Fit hybrid without hesitation. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that we'll get the chance in the foreseeable future.

4. belsouth

belsouth New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do the rear seats fold flat? It appears that they do not in the images that I've viewed.

5. ewaboy

ewaboy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I would have too - kept seeing rumors for the last two years that the Fit hybrid was coming to U.S.:confused:

So - after a test drive 2 weeks ago - I plunked down a deposit on a Prius C.:D

6. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I forgot to check.

I'll look when I go back next week to test drive the car.

7. boxswatter

boxswatter Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I totally agree.We currently have a 2011 Prius and 2001 Honda Civic. When we replace the Civic in the next year or two, I would love to do it with Fit hybrid.

8. belsouth

belsouth New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, SageBrush.

9. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ditto.

Ditto.

I'm hoping my wife likes the c.

Our is an AT.

Well, my wife enjoys driving it much more than the Prius. Mainly because of the horrible rear visibility in the Prius but also because the Civic has a much more connected feel and doesn't whine going up hills.

10. belsouth

belsouth New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just called one of the local dealers in Richmond, VA to see when they expected to receive their first shipment of C's. Turns out they just got 3 of them.

11. Mister MMT

Mister MMT Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is from the Yaris Hybrid in Europe, but it is the same in the Prius c. They do not fold completely flat, since the batteries are underneath the back seats.

[​IMG]

12. belsouth

belsouth New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, that's what I thought. They do seem to get fairly close from the photos. I'll be checking one out in person later this afternoon in person.

13. Mister MMT

Mister MMT Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Could you please make some pictures? That would be nice!

14. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My only sincere question is it seems to me that much of the criticism you raise of The Prius C, will also be evident in the iQ.

Subcompacts and compacts...or even Mini's...are what they are. I'm looking at my Honda Fit...but IMO it's amazing what can be done with the space available.

I think I read reviews that stated the rear seat space in The Prius C was actually bigger than in the Honda Insight.

15. phenoyz

phenoyz Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    interesting...

16. belsouth

belsouth New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry, I didn't take any pictures as I only had a few minutes to make a brief stop at the dealership. The dealership I visited received 3 C's two days ago. One was pre-sold. The model they had on the lot was a white level II. I think the other one was a level II as well but it was still being prepped.

My feelings were mixed. Like SageBrush, I was a little disappointed in the quality of the interior materials especially the seat fabric. I could live with that, but I fear the cargo space was a little lacking for my needs. Definitely not in the same league as the Fit, but I expected that to be the case. The rear seats fold almost flat, but it's like they are at a slightly higher level than the actual cargo area so the overall space is not quite flat. Overall, it's still a pretty cool car that will appeal to a wide audience. I'm still debating.

The salesman showed me the list of cars that they are getting in March. There were probably 12 or more so I don't think supply will be an immediate concern in this area.

I'm going back tomorrow to look at it again. I'll try to take some pictures this time.

17. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's possible Consumer Reports was only doing very short trips in Prius. If you drive 1 mile to grocery store, head back once a day, a Prius MPG might be under 40 MPG, maybe 35.

When the car is warmed up, it will hit 50 MPG in bad city traffic, at least for me.

18. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    He's saying:
    - Why bother paying more for the rear space if it's not very usable?
    - Why not spend much less on another relatively efficient city car and get a much better interior?

19. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    From 2007, so they might have changed:

That'll hurt.

20. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Haven't checked it out yet, but it could be there is generous front seat travel / legroom, and you're seeing small rear seat legroom with front seat fully back. Long front seat travel is better than guaranteeing rear seat leg room by limiting front travel. That was the curse of the 2nd gen and it sucked. I have 35" inseam legs, and would have almost 4 inches from my knees to 2nd gen front seat seatbacks. Ridiculous. NBA player rearseat legroom in 2nd gen Prius, short person rear seat headroom. Bad proportions. Glad they don't sell that thing new anymore. Overrated chassis.