1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Honda:Honda Insight hybrid was an "unmitigated disaster"

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by 1SMUGLEX, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    And the FCX looked like the next evolution of Civic design to me.
    When you're being aerodynamic's bitch, the end results are going to be similiar no matter the party. The shape is common to European hatchbacks. So Toyota and Honda weren't the first. Feel free to look up Pontiac Aztek.

2. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It was called the "Prius Killer" almost from day one. It was exactly designed to be a competitor with the Prius, starting with the styling, but priced low enough that it would take sales away from the Prius, which was then and now accounting for approximately half the total U.S. hybrid sales by itself.

<cough> <cough> What????
    They copied the Prius. Plain and simple. From the split rear window, thru the angled back side windows to that little window near the windshield. I was hoping the Insight II would carry some design cues from the original Insight, like the covered back wheels, two door design or at least the back window without a painted panel in the split section. The original Insight actually had the lowest coefficient of drag of any new car in the U.S. during the time it was being sold, so they didn't have to copy the Prius, but they did.

When the 2004 Prius came out, it didn't look really like anything else on the market. A smaller, smoother version of the Pontiac Aztek, if anything. But it was so popular that when people say hybrid, they think of the Prius outline, not the original Insight which came out first (in the U.S.) It's not just the Kammback style, which has been used on a lot of cars over several decades.

And for people who think that going for maximum aerodynamic efficiency will only give you the Prius shape obviously haven't considered the EV-1 or the Aptera, both of which were/are significantly better than the 2004-2009 Prius or the current model.

3. GeekEV

GeekEV Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You're obviously not talking about the Civic Hybrid. We've got one, and it's nowhere near as fun to drive as the Prius. :p

4. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, it all goes to the bottom line:

If not to compete against Prius, That's because Insight is a more compact version of car, ok, a fact.

Then, if smaller than Prius, should have less consumption.

It doesn't, so we may technically label this hybrid as a less engineered vehicle.

This is the fundamental reason, for me.

5. 1SMUGLEX

1SMUGLEX I love the smug!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Its not the media, its out the horses mouth. You ignore that they wanted to sell 90k a year and only sell 20k a year. The entire team behind the Insight likely got moved to another assignment like building the next Honda lawnmower.

They aimed for the Prius, it looks like a Prius, they tried to undercut the price of the Prius and it has been a complete disaster.

6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    What was that novel, "Great Expectations?"

Now they have a data point. Fix what can be fixed and come out with a 2011 or 2012 to take over the compact market. They should be able to put the oil-burners back in the barn:

• Jetta TDI
    • Golf TDI
    • <insert> TDI
    The Honda Insight won't be the 'handling car' but it doesn't have to. It only needs to fix the interior space, do some quality upgrades, and eat the TDIs for lunch.

It is a practical car for smaller sized folks, economical to run, and with a little stretch, quite practical for the college crowd.

Bob Wilson

7. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I left it off the post , but was thinking of a conventional hatchback's aerodynamics. Sedans don't have to deal with a large rear cargo area, and the Aptera starts discussions on what is a car or motorcycle.

I think Honda has realized their mistake with the Insight2's styling. The CR-Z's rear, which is all I got a RL look at, does harken to the original Insight.
    Or just replace it with a hybrid Fit. The increased cargo utility could attract some potential Prius buyers, and the milage increase could warrant the price increase over the standard Fit.

8. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think that was their intention, certainly it was marketed here as "The hybrid for Everyone".

Sadly it's just not good enough to compete with diesel, gen 3 Prius being rated at over 70MPG is a tough thing to compete with...

9. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    They do, it's called the Fit...

Attached Files:

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A Fit is not a Civic Hatchback... its exterior dimensions are considerably smaller.

1 person likes this.
  11. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ah, fail. Honda's common retort ... we have the Fit! ?

SUB-compact, read - 6ft+ driver need not apply unless like cramped seating. I would never buy a Fit - too small.

12. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The funny part is that a 6' 7" coworker (who I don't see much) has a Fit. (As we joked) he actually DOES fit in a Fit. :eek: Prior to that, he used to drive an 02 or 03 Altima, which he surprisingly fit in as well.

I think (memory foggy :confused:) he did try a 2nd gen Prius and found he didn't fit, or at least not well.

Funny thing is, that when he (being one of the tallest people in my group) was new, he was doubled up in an office w/probably the shortest person in the group.

13. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I agree the Fit is a bit tight for those 6' or taller, especially the 07-08 Models, but it is a versital vehicle and it's amazing what you can stuff in one. Being as Honda doesn't make a Civic Hatchback, it is the closest thing they make to one, and I doubt they'd actually make a Civic Hachback again (especially a 4 door model) because it would cut into the Fit market...

14. teeasal

teeasal New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Insight failed. Accord hybrid failed.
    GM hybrids failed. Chrysler hybrids failed.
    These were all "mild" hybrids.

Toyota hybrids sell. Ford hybrids sell.
    These are all "full" hybrids.

'nough said.

2 people like this.
  15. 1SMUGLEX

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A Fit looks like a mini-mini-mini van to me. Love the placement of the handbrake though, clever.

16. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Not sure I understand your comment on the handbrake, looks like it's in the same place as the majority of foriegn cars!

[​IMG]

17. 1SMUGLEX

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That is my mistake. It was the Civic interior, not the Fit. I could have swore the FIt handbrake was on the console like this below

[​IMG]

18. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That makes more sense! My daughter has a Civic, the handbrake is in a unique location! I should have realized that's what you were referring to...

19. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I started researching Hybrids right in the time period before the release of The Prius and The Insight.

Whether it was Hondas intention or Toyota's intention both automakers I think benefited from the media comparing the upcoming two vehicles. And it was plain apparent and undeniable that given the Insights "hybrid" status and near Jr. Clone looks, it was directly compared to The Prius.

In my opinon during the "build up" to the near simultaneous release of both vehicles, both Toyota and Honda enjoyed the comparison. One almost did not ever get reviewed without the other also getting review and anticipation for one, whetted the anticipation appetite for the other.

Also there was a small window when the Insight was released before the Prius hit the open market. During that few week period The Insight did very, very well.

Unfortunately for Honda however, when Toyota released The Prius at the price points it was able to maintain and the you got tangible showroom and driving experience comparisons with the majority of consumers, Prius clearly won.

So to me, it doesn't come down to is the comparison valid, or should you be comparing the two vehicles...I don't think you can release a built from the ground up Hybrid with clone like body styling (whomever had it first) as a hatchback and NOT expect Prius comparisons. The Insight was meant to take sales from Prius.

From that POV and Honda? It's been an unmitigated disaster.

(when I say, Release of The Prius, I'm talking obviously about the Gen 3)

20. UsedToLoveCars

UsedToLoveCars Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    comments like these open honda up to litigation risks.