1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Honda hopes all-new 2019 Insight hybrid outsells predecessor

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, May 17, 2018.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Great that it's manufactured in the United States, however, isn't there got to be some vampire effect? Sure the clarity is a plug-in hybrid but like the other manufacturers - there's got to be some Insight take aways - from someone's sales - be it honda, toyota, Hyundai/kia .... the market is getting crowded.

2. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    It does not have a dct. It is confusing what honda is doing.

There is an axle mg like mg2 on the prius. There is also an mg to start the engine and generate power. At low speeds the motor on the axle will draw from the battery and/or the generator on the engine, with no physical connection between the engine and the wheels.

In anouther mode the engine will clutch in, this would be like a single speed transmission, I think, but I'm not sure. Serial hybrid at low speeds, 5th gear with battery assist or charging at higher speeds. Someone correct this if it is wrong.

I don't think this is a crowding. Honda though needs to make the clarity on the next gen more favorable to a ground up phev. Clarity phev seems like an improvement on the volt, fusion, etc.

Accord and civic (hybrid called insight) have the new honda hybrid system. The clarity the phev. The honda accord hybrid doesn't seem to reach consumers as well as the camry or fusion hybrids. The insight, we need to wait and see if they did a better price performance trade off.

farmecologist likes this.
  3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Much of the reason why the hybrid segment has kept up or grown is because of there being more options. Prius sales have been dropping for the past few years. Some of that is because of competitors, but I believe it is mostly because of other factors, like low gas prices. More variety pulls in more customers; the ones turned off by the Prius or past selection.

The Insight is a small sedan; it has no direct hybrid competitors. If it doesn't do well, being sedan could be enough reason.

The shortest description is that the system is a series hybrid that can have the generator engine directly drive the wheels during highway cruising.

4. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Why the proliferation of BEVs and other hybrids? Expected regulations. Demographics. More older people (I can say that at 75) who have been seeing satisfied neighbors, aren't looking for performance but rather long term reliability and affordability. And for people making that jump, the fact that their neighbor has a 100k Prius of some sort they are happy with reassures them that a hybrid is a means to that end.

5. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Well that line of reasoning would have prius and similar hybrid sales increasing. They have been decreasing.

BEV and PHEV sales have been increasing, and these are hitting younger demographics than hybrid cars. Part of the growth is the performance segment. These should be dependable cars, but affordability? They are priced higher. People want to use less gas.

Toyota Prius Sales Figures | GCBC
    Toyota Prius Prime/Prius Plug-In Sales Figures | GCBC
    Tesla Model S Sales Figures | GCBC
    Tesla Model X Sales Figures | GCBC

After peaking in 2007 with 183K units in the US and Canada, the prius liftback/prime had fallen to 88K units last year 10 years later. Meanwhile the much more expensive tesla model X/S sold 57K units in the US and canada. Those are expensive and fast vehicles.

hill likes this.
  6. Prius Maximus

Prius Maximus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It's all about speed. People can buy a Tesla and not pay for gas. And they can go fast. I had an S blow past me at about 50-60 in a 30. I get to the stop light and he's there waiting. I pull into the left turn lane next to him and he's an older guy. 65-70 maybe? Light turns green and he punches it squealling the tires and he's going 60 again in a flash. Yes, he's not wasting gas, but he's wasting electrons. and more importantly being a menace to society.

I fear all these expensive fast BEVs are going to start causing more accidents just because of the acceleration potential. I can see it. One guy at the stop light. 2nd guy pulls up in the right lane knowing there are parked cars past the intersection but he just has to get in front of that one guy. Green. Boom they both punch it and before either can react there's a problem....

Oh, and.. Of course Honda hopes it sells more!

bwilson4web and austingreen like this.
  7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    our neighbor was over last night. She's 75, & just bought her brothers model S, with 60k miles on it. He gave it to her for only $40k. Good to know a relative. She says (previous big lexus hybrid owner) she's never been so happy w/a ride.
    Survey says the same thing ....
    Toyota Owners Jump Ship to Tesla | PriusChat
    but the notion seems to get a bunch of pushback.

#47 hill, May 21, 2018
    Last edited: May 21, 2018
    austingreen likes this.
  8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The Tesla showed a big hole in traditional auto maker inventory. Having customers waiting in line is not a problem they have . . . but don’t realize its importance. They can make a bunch of perfect body cars but without customers, it doesn’t matter.

Bob Wilson

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    or on the other hand, they have cars you can buy right now, so no lines. vaporware on the other hand...

10. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    best completed Model 3 used ebay price - Mid $40k's .... Prices are dropping - Only 1,200 'gentle' miles

2018 Tesla 3 | eBay

It could have been you

bwilson4web likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't need 200 miles. very comfortable with 80% ev from a 6 year old pip.

bwilson4web likes this.