1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Honda Insight: 3rd time's the charm

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Jun 20, 2018.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Full disclosure, we went from all Prius hybrids to plug-in hybrids in 2016. Yet I am sympathetic to those who can't or won't go plug-in. Still they might go (aka. training wheels) hybrid and this Edmunds review gives fair coverage:

The sad thing is how long it took Honda took to offer what sounds like a serious, commuter-sized hybrid. Late because public support and subsidizes for pure hybrids have passed. The good thing is seeing handling and creature comforts show up in both the Gen-4 Prius and the Gen-3 Insight.

I think today's market can support both hybrid and plug-in hybrids in a model line. There certainly appears to be enough space in the 'spare tire' well to bring the battery capacity up enough to compete with our +10k mile Prius Prime.

Bob Wilson

#21 bwilson4web, Jun 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
    Tideland Prius and Mendel Leisk like this.
  2. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Nodding off to sleep last night, I realized the Honda is joining a small group of hybrids getting +50 MPG:
    • Hyundai Insight Blue
    • Hyundai Insight
    • Prius Gen-4 ECO
    • Prius Gen-4
    • Camry Hybrid
    • Honda Insight
    Bob Wilson

3. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This car should look very much like a Civic but will be priced a couple or so thousand $ more. Vast majority will buy regular Civic because I doubt Honda will promote this car much at dealers. Salespeople will just say, ah, you don't need a hybrid, just get regular Civic.

bisco likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  5. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  6. Sabby

Sabby Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two

My wife just got a new CRV with the 1.5 turbo. I really like it. We only have about 400 miles on it so it is just breaking in. So far economical, with lots of space and comfort. The apple car play is great. Honda is on top of their game. Toyotas move on the Rav 4.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    He ended up going with Mazda CX-5, they're happy with it, nice ride.

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you seen the 2019 RAV4?

9. Sabby

Sabby Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I saw the recent release photos. It looks good but could not drive it. It would have been a top contender but it becomes available later in the year so it was not an option. I drove a Mazda CX-5 which was nice. Also a Forrester which is going to get an update soon and really needs it.

10. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Watch your oil level fanatically. As you do, see if there is a pronounced gas smell. Most of concern in cold weather and mostly short trips driving.

11. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I stopped by San Leandro Honda, looked a 2019 Insight EX over. Insight's front (driver's) seats are NOT exactly the same as a 2018 Civic, the Insight's front seats are a little roomier. I used my forearm to measure the bottom cushion length and Insight's cushion length is about same as Accord. Civic's bottom cushion length roughly 1.5" shorter.

Insight dash and center console similar to Civic, but it's not a carbon copy. Right of Insight's push buttons to shift, there's a cell phone tray, but no starage in that area. There's a sliding dual cupholder under center armrest and storage. The center console did NOT jut into my right knee and actually offers a little more room to the right than even the 2018 Accord. Insight EX does not have sunroof like all other Civic, Accord EXs, but I don't care about sunroofs anyway.

Sticker price on this EX was $24,955 and the dealer had asking $3,000 markup tag next to the Monroney. Somewhat smaller dealer. Sales manager didn't seem to know what kind of volumes they are hoping to sell on Insight. Said most coming from a Prius want a Clarity or Accord Hybrid. Insight EX sticker is almost $3k more than Civic EX and lose spare tire and moon/sunroof. But go from 35 mpg avg to 52.

2019 Insight is a good looking car with no loss of trunk space or pass through and it feels good at 6'2" long legs to sit behind wheel in. At this point I'm interested and will see how volumes and sales go.

#31 cycledrum, Jul 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
    bwilson4web and breakfast like this.
  12. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just visited and got pretty well informed:

A Design Victory over the Prius
    Check out the inspired design and extraordinary features that give Insight an edge over the competition.

Well, Honda USA, you just got rid of my interest in the Insight III (although 45MPG highway seems a way low). Thank you. I'll just keep promoting my "not so good designed" but-good-to-own-old-Prius , it's also less harmful for the planet and my wallet.

farmecologist likes this.
  13. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Again, Honda dealers are Honda's worse enemy.
    A multi-thousand dollar mark up makes great sense when the largest competitor is regularly having incentives on their model. I know the Prius is polarizing, but a hatchback is more in line to what the market wants than a sedan.

Merkey likes this.
  14. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
  15. But... Lane Keep Assist! :confused:

Tideland Prius likes this.
  16. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Visited the local Honda dealer to 'kick the tires' and was impressed. Not enough to replace either of our plug-in but compared to what I'd seen before, this Honda Insight is a nice ride. Front seats and doors are big enough and easy to get in and out. The rear door, 'bang my head', but I had learned to approach Hondas cautiously.

The trunk is easily as large as the Ioniq and there is a lower level where a styrofoam block holds the tire repair kit. I didn't ask but a spare tire and jack might fit. Folding down a rear seat works but there is a step at the seat hinge, ~3 inches and about a 10-15 degree slope.

The engine compartment is well laid out and easy access. It doesn't have that silly plastic piece and everything is well insulated. We did not find a hood light so carry a LED light. Put 25-35 miles of battery in the car and it would be a dandy plug-in.

The ride is quiet and smooth, none of the jerkiness of a stepped transmission. We drove to one of the benchmark loops and after three, 1.1 mi laps, it showed 60 MPG. Not quite Prius level but certainly in the range of the Gen-1. Neither the salesman nor I were able to figure out the tripmeter so we restarted the car to zero the current trip. Driving back to the dealership, it showed 57.1 MPG, much better than the 39.3 MPG when we first got in the car.
    [​IMG]

If you like the Gen-1 Prius, this would be a nice, hybrid sedan to replace it. Good creature comforts in the front; watch you head at the rear doors, and; a practical trunk.

Bob Wilson

17. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A spare tire is supposedly a dealer-installed accessory.

HPrimeAdvanced and bwilson4web like this.
  18. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Any idea if these are being built in USA, Canada or Japan?

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  19. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The one good thing I can say about our previous Civic Hybrid: it's fuel economy display was accurate, actually slightly pessimistic. Hopefully that's still the case, be interesting to verify that.

Toyota's display always puts me in mind of a compulsive liar, (or a repulsive liar, as @HPrimeAdvanced would say).

20. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The EX I looked at assembled at Greensburg Indiana plant. Engine and transmission origin are Japan.
    Has 45% US/Canadian parts content and 35% Japan parts content.

The LX/EX trims rated at 55/49/52 mpg city/hwy/combined

orenji likes this.