1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Honda Insight LIVE REVEAL

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by zenMachine, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There will be a market for it. I have friends who want a hybrid but don't want to pay Cdn$30k for it. If it's in the $20k range (below the HCH-II's current price of $26k), it'll be amazing (but then again, Honda Canada's pricing has not dropped to match the dollar. The new Fit still tops out at $20k when a loaded Corolla LE tops out at $21k, and the Civic runs from $17k to $23k vs. the Corolla's $14k to $21k)

2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    What is the above? Both the HCH-II and the Prius get 45 highway MPG per EPA testing standard.

3. MSantos

MSantos EcoAccelerometry

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    You are quite right they have the same EPA rating.

I forgot for a brief moment that most people tend to believe in the "just drive it" philosophy and in those circumstances the EPA is the gold standard.
    My fault.

However, for enthusiasts of both cars the story flows along an alternate set of lines ...

Cheers;

MSantos

4. onlynark

onlynark Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I just love (sarcasm) how some people seem to be stating opinion on here as fact:

Smaller, seems to be true from official honda statements.

Slower than the prius? Who says? the fit is 0-60 in 9 seconds. the prius is 10+ seconds. If the HI-II is as fast as the fit, it will be faster than the prius. If its not faster than the HCH-II then it will be slower than the prius. We dont know because Honda hasnt stated any stats, unless you want to point me to an article that has direct quotes from honda officials and not speculations

Worse MPG than the prius? Where did you get? People are saying that it will get 60 mpg, and thats speculation. So I dont know. Its supposed to be lighter and smaller than the prius. The HCH-II weights almost the same as the prius (2875 vs 2932 lbs) and it gets the same mileage on the HWY (45 mpg) and and less than 10 mpg less in the city. A smaller car > mileage than a bigger car. Thats pure physics. If the HI-II is as efficient as the current gen prius, it will get better mileage.

less standard equipment? What standard equipment are talking about. I haven't heard what will be included and what is optional. Although at such a price we can assume shortcuts in the luxury department will be made.

No electric AC? I thought the HCH-II was both gas and electric. Correct me if I am wrong though. I would expect the HI-II to be the same, but then again thats an assumption as well.

5. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I thought pre-2008 EPA testing rank Prius' highway MPG higher than the HCH-II's.

Ok... a little better than Prius when taken into extreme.

The difference could be because:
    1) HCH has smaller frontal area?
    2) Smaller gas engine displacement (1.3L vs. 1.5L)

Prius can do 70+ MPG in those highway speed as well. HCH-II can't touch Prius under 42mph due to the Pulse / Glide technique. Why is it called Super Atkinson Highway Mode? I don't think HCH-II gas engine operates on Atkinson cycle. I know it does the late intake valve closing but Honda does not call it Atkinson cycle.

6. MSantos

MSantos EcoAccelerometry

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    Good question. A higher authority than myself suggested/recommended that name, sorry.

However, the mode was originally documented as "HSAM" which relates to the "spark advance" mode variant (one of several) found in the Gen 4 ICE. The HCH-II leverages the two spark plugs per cylinder along with its 3 stage valve timing to almost "Atkinsonize" the ICE under some very specific scenarios. The site contains more information and exchanges between well known Prius and HCH experts comparing highway FE performance at the different speeds, so I'll avoid repeating that here.

Cheers;

MSantos

7. KAR IDEA

KAR IDEA Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Aside from all of the "mumbo jumbo hoo-zee-what-sit", the car looks amazing insite and out! And I hope it looks like that when it hits the market...Perhaps the "end of days" will be deterred after all, because folks will want that cool looking hybrid as opposed to a cool looking gas guzzler...

Dave ;)

8. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    we'll have to delete it for you

10. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I really really like it. Looks similar to the Prius, but much more sporty. If it gets better mileage than a Prius, is under $20k and drives like a Honda. I would trade in my Prius for one.