1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Honda just up its ante.... see the new Fit EV lease term!!!!

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by dipper, May 30, 2013.

1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Not per month per se. The lease lists an annual mileage. You pay fees if you exceed the lease term x annual miles at the end of the lease.

2. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Same reason Toyota has incentives on the Rav4 EV.

austingreen likes this.
  3. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Considered for a moment as a work commute vehicle, but as always...not available to my zip code.

4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    hindsight is 20/20. Maybe you don't realize it, but the first few years of prius sales were even more paltry than leaf sales. So by your logic those first few years of prius sales being poor - that means that nobody wants a Prius. Time and circumstances has proven to show many people's thinking to be incorrect.

5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    True ... but the Rav4EV guts are built by Tesla. That carries a ton of weight in many folks' books ... as does the fact its guts are being built in Freemont, Cali - if you think it's important to buy local .... And, it can charge at a rate of up to 10kW's per hour. And ... it'll easily do over 100 miles per charge. And ... it carries a ton more junk having over 36 cubit feet for that area alone. That's the compliance car for me ... once I can afford the hefty price. and ... being 6'-5" - the Fit's leg room just wouldn't do.

6. dipper

dipper Senior Member

When the first Prius sales was out there, how many hybrid was next to Prius? One, a tiny Honda 2 seater. And yet, the EV market survived.

My point being there are other EV makers, not just for CA, but the world. So evolution will happen for the better. Even more than your hybrid example (out of left field).

So what is your point?

7. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'm wondering if the EV makers are trying not to buy credits from Tesla or other EV makers?

In effect, it sounds like they are offering their EVs 'at cost' in those states where they still want to sell their gas engined cars and trucks. Living in North Alabama with a hard, cross-country, minimum range of 120 miles, one way, anything but the Tesla is a 'no go.' But they get no credits for selling one in Alabama.

Bob Wilson

9. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Pretty much all EV makers, except Tesla and Nissan, are in it because of California regulations. Which is why the cars aren't being sold outside the west coast states. Some, like Ford, have decided it is worth it to offer the cars outside that region. No credit for doing so in Ca as far as I know.

10. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Re: compliance cars, Ford is probably selling them in CA for compliance reasons as well.

For more info re: ZEV compliance, see Toyota Rav4 EV Forum • View topic - Why did Toyota build Rav4 EV? What happens after 2014 ?, My Nissan Leaf Forum • View topic - California ZEV (CARB) requirements for reference and My Nissan Leaf Forum • View topic - Official Toyota RAV4 EV Thread. PZEVs and enhAT-PZEVs also help w/ZEV compliance.

bwilson4web likes this.
  11. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I admit Ford is doing it for compliance. They, for some reason, are just willing to sell the Focus EV through some dealers outside of California. I was wondering if it is simply a matter of logistics. The Focus is assembled in Michigan. The Fit and Rav4 EVs are assembled in Japan or California. But I haven't been paying attention to where all these EVs are going to be available. Much less where they are made.

Tesla and Nissan seem to be the only manufacturers invested in EVs beyond the compliance issue. Perhaps also Mitsubishi.

bwilson4web likes this.
  12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    It was pretty simple & I can't imagine how to say it any other way, but I'll certainly try. You'd said no one wants to buy EV's. One can only presume you'd think that based on sales. Right? Sales over the first 2 years (and the 1st 2 years) of mass production? Right? So the point was, Prius sales started at even a lower volume during the 1st two years. Prius sales started over 10 years ago, btw. Thus ... if you jump to the conclusion that, "no one wants them (EV's)" ... and you base that presumption on the 1st two years of mass production ... then you have to jump to the same wrong conclusion about the Prius. Based off the 1st two years of low volume Prius sales (being low just like the 1st 2 years of Leaf sales) ... then "no one wants a Prius". IOW, you have jumped to the wrong conclusion, based off of just the 1st two years of sales. Obviously things change ... and Prius sales are no longer tiny. But we are now over 10 years down the road. Get it? It seems like you are expecting EV sales to be as high as modern day Prius sales are. That's not the nature of how efficient vehicle sales trend. That's as simple as I can articulate.

3PriusMike likes this.
  13. dipper

dipper Senior Member

Are you saying I am anti-EV?

If so why do I have one in my garage?

Your babbles basically says I am against EV. All I have been saying is... this is not EV1 repeat as you have indicated. I can go out and buy a Tesla unlike EV1 days. So what if Honda is lease only.

14. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    That's great - but Ev1 wasn't a production EV - nor could you buy one - but never mind, you lost me ... I didn't know anyone had mentioned EV1's - you're fine - it must be me.
    That's the way many leases are structured. Go over the contract's mileage, and you pay a bit upon lease return. Come in under the contract mileage, and it credits back to you. But if you want an EV that you can actually BUY at the end of term (AND, and even better lease price) - you may want to look at the Fiat 500-e. Although you put a bit of cash down - in the end, it costs you even less than the honda.
    <:article id=primary>
    2013 Fiat 500E EV First Drive &#8211; Review &#8211; Car and Driver
    Its range is 80miles highway 100 city. Not too shaby!

15. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  16. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    WoW ! !
    So much for the "no one wants an EV until they do more" nay-sayers.
    Btw . . . I just saw my VERY first EV fit, "In - the - Wild"
    Behold, the Disney basement employee Plug-in parking stalls:

[​IMG]

Great ... one more sole to compete for a recharge. Early birds get the worms. Good thing I arive @ 4:30am ;)
    Actually - this is kind of a dream come true ... that I'd live to see the day there'd be too few a number of L1 charging stalls to go around (there are 3 more spots to the left of the pic ... also full)

3PriusMike and Sergiospl like this.
  17. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    The head of Fiat claims they are selling their 500e at a $10,000.00 loss. However, because they DO sell the 500e, they get a hall pass for their guzzling Chrysler line up. Considering that - what ever the loss might be, its a bargain.