1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Honda Takes Aim at Prius With New $19K Hybrid

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by clayton4115, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Point taken

2. Qlara

Qlara New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    How could Honda 'survive' when everyone is just buying its so-called $19k Hybrid?

It'll cut in too much to its cash-cow Civic line.....How much a non-hybrid would cost, if a hybrid only costs $19k?

3. Dave_PH

Dave_PH New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    If they only sell 100,000 a year in the US there won't be enough to meet demand and they'll end up bringing people into Honda Dealers that can be diverted to a Civic Hybrid, Fit or Civic.

One Toyota dealer tried to talk me out of a Prius by saying how costly the potential maintenance is on such a complcated car and what a great deal he could give me on a Corolla. Corrola is Japanese for boring.

4. ctbering

ctbering Rambling Man

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I loved my Honda Civic EX. IT WAS FUN TO DRIVE, five speed transmission, RPM's up to 6000...It was a blast to drive. I have complete confidence that Honda will deliver for its customers on quality, service and price. My 1992 Honda Civic EX had great gas mileage, low maintenance cost and was comfortable for me and my passengers. I am glad they are in the Hybrid competition and would not hesitate to compare their new hybrid vesrus Toyota when I shop for my next HYBRID or ECT vehicle
    I am Toyota loyal but I appreciate the competition. If Honda gives me a hybrid that uses ECT energy more effective than my Prius I would not hesitate to purchase a Honda. Right now, Toyota is 'the show'. I love my Prius but Honda competition is great for all of us. In as far as the Volt or any other alternative vehicle that is trying to grab our attention: show me with the car's quality and dependability or move to the back of the line.

5. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Honda's IMA is simpler, more elegant and less costly than Toyota's HSD. It's not as capable as the HSD in power or Fuel Economy but it is a real good system.

How will Honda sell its 'Prius' for $18500 and still get 60 mpg ( doubtful )? The vehicle has to be a strippie and very light at that. It has to be lighter than the HCH because Honda's power source will still be its 1.3L ICE which is significantly less powerful than the current Prius not to mention the Gen3. It's e-motor is not as powerful either as the MG2 in the HSD.

However the IMA probably has a cost that is no more than $1500 whereas the HSD is probably in the $2000-$2500 range.

So if Honda is selling an $18500 'Prius' with a $1500 hybrid option that means that the basic ICE vehicle is roughly $17000....it's a Fit. In 2012 by law it will have to have all the airbags and stability control along with ABS brakes so it can't be totally stripped. It will have to be lighter than the Prius in order to jump from 48 mpg to 60 mpg with a smaller ICE and less capable e-motor. Lighter generally means smaller or a LOT less content. Take your pick.

I'll go with somewhat smaller but a lot less content.

OTOH...there is a HUGE segment of the market which is priced out of buying a Prius or even an HCH. The buyers that refuse to spend more than $20K or simply cannot afford to spend that much will finally have a great option. I too think that it will cut Corolla/Civic sales more than it will Prius sales.

6. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Uh, am I missing something? Honda has announced the new hybrid and has stated they will come out with a hybrid Fit later (one year later). They have also stated they will come out with a hybrid Odyssey in a year (same time frame as the hybrid Fit).

This was posted in the hybrid news section, as I recall, a few days ago.

So that pretty much finishes the argument about whether the Hindsight is a Fit or not. I jest of course, It will probably be called the Insight, to continue the impression Honda was a leader in hybrids.

Arguing that Honda couldn't possibly sell it for $19,000 without gutting it is just about as silly as the Chrysler claim that Toyota is loosing money on every Prius they sell! Toyota is laughing themselves silly on the way to the bank!

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think a hybrid Odyssey will come out. Didn't they say larger vehicles will get the diesel option and they want to focus hybrid technology on smaller cars?

8. MSantos

MSantos EcoAccelerometry

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    Correct. Honda will never produce a Hybrid Odyssey - they literally have turned blue in their faces saying that for years now.

But, you can safely expect the Honda Stream to be on their forth hybrid wave plans...

Cheers;

MSantos