1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Honda To Challenge Prius With a Dedicated Hybrid Model

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Danny, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Finally Honda's getting a clue...

Honda learned from Toyota's success with the Prius that hybrid customers want their decision to drive a hybrid to be visible, so the company is planning a dedicated hybrid model that will feature its own unique styling rather than simply being a hybrid-powered version of an existing model, according to Dan Bonawitz, vice president of corporate planning and logistics for American Honda Motor Co. Inc.

The new hybrid-specific model will be the previously announced car that will slot in below the Civic Hybrid in price, he said. Honda has said that the car will debut in 2009.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=121450

2. SweetPri

SweetPri New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Can't wait to see what they come up with. I love Hondas but just as the article mentions, when I decided to go with a hybrid I wanted one that was built as a hybrid from the ground up.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The insight wasn't unique. And Toyota's got the Camry and Highlander as hybrids. But I know what you're saying. I'm just not sure that many people are going to be very interested in something smaller than the Civic. And yea, I know there are insight "I have no friends or family" people out there, but it's not really a huge market if you're aiming for big profits and high sales.

4. Earthling

Earthling New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jun 28 2007, 08:26 AM) [snapback]469302[/snapback]</div>
    "Obviously, this is leading us to bring a new hybrid to market that is uniquely styled." The new car, while lower in price than the Civic Hybrid, will still be a family car, and will not be a tiny commuter car like the Honda Insight, he added.

It won't be a two-seater like the Insight. It will be attractively priced, get great fuel economy, and will sell like hotcakes.

I did choose the Prius over the hybrid Civic based on availability and much greater cargo room in the Prius. Still, a smaller car than a Prius, with a hatchback for added cargo room, would meet my needs just fine.

Harry

5. priusFTW

priusFTW Gen III JBL non Nav

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    "Honda learned from Toyota's success with the Prius that hybrid customers want their decision to drive a hybrid to be visible, so the company is planning a dedicated hybrid model that will feature its own unique styling rather than simply being a hybrid-powered version of an existing model"

I can't say that my decision to buy a prius was based on the hybrid style being "visible". In fact, I didn't care for the style of the Prius when I first saw it, but felt it will grow on me (which it has). My feelings were that I just wanted something that would give me excellent MPG by a RELIABLE company, period. It had nothing to do, for me anyway, about making a hybrid statement.

Now, WHEN WILL I BE ABLE TO PLUG MINE IN???

6. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jun 28 2007, 08:26 AM) [snapback]469302[/snapback]</div>
    After the Accord Hybrid fiasco, I have a great deal of confidence in Honda's abilitiy to screw this one up, too.

It sounds to me like they are going to just give a Fit a new body kit and sell it instead of out"fitting" the Fit with IMA.

7. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jun 28 2007, 07:26 AM) [snapback]469302[/snapback]</div>
    What's this America-Only stuff?

Remember that both Honda & Toyota have major footholds in Japan... where smaller vehicles are looked upon more favorably. Of course, there Estima (the hybrid minivan from Toyota) is available too.

8. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

I'm confused. Didn't Honda bow out of the hybrid market?

9. allargon

allargon Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Jun 28 2007, 10:21 AM) [snapback]469396[/snapback]</div>
    No, they are just one for three. The Civic hybrid is still on the market and selling well.

The Insight was a rough riding two seater w/o much cargo space. The Accord hybrid was tuned for performance (unfortunately only 0-60 not the superb handling that's found in their Acura line) rather than fuel economy.

Toyota can almost do no wrong in the hybrid market (other than not making enough). They have 3 fuel economy and emissions based hybrids selling well as hatchback, sedan and CUV. They have 2 performance and emissions based LUXURY hybrids selling relatively well as sedan and CUV. They have another ultra luxury hybrid sedan coming out soon. Moreover, Toyota supplies both Ford and Nissan with their hybrid technologies. AFAIK, only GM and Honda have separate technologies on the US market.

10. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusFTW @ Jun 28 2007, 09:32 AM) [snapback]469369[/snapback]</div>
    Same here. Didn't really like the looks, but I loved the mileage and the fact it was still a very practical car for a small family. Don't care if I stand out or not. Lots of people still don't know what the Prius is, if anything it looks like a smaller cousin of the Pontiac Aztek.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(allargon @ Jun 28 2007, 10:28 AM) [snapback]469401[/snapback]</div>
    My understanding was that Ford developed their own system but it was close enough to Toyota's existing system that they purchased a licensing agreement so they wouldn't run into legal troubles.

11. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nerfer @ Jun 28 2007, 09:40 AM) [snapback]469411[/snapback]</div>
    That's how I understood it too. I think Ford provided Toyota with some truck technology as part of the deal as well.

12. MickeyA

MickeyA New Member

13. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The new Prius styling came out in 2004 and sales took off.

And Honda has just now decided on a dedicated hybrid with distinctive styling and will have it out in 2009.

Took them 5 years.

How long will it take GM, Ford and whatever that third one ends up being? Kia-Chrysler? Hundai-Chrysler?

I bought the Prius for several reasons but the fact that it was designed as a hybrid from the ground up was definately one of them.

14. Earthling

Earthling New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jun 28 2007, 12:50 PM) [snapback]469478[/snapback]</div>
    Same here. A hybrid offers better fuel economy and lower emissions. To get the maximum effect, you need to design the hybrid from the ground up. Any other form of hybrid is a compromise. The Prius does look different, but it's for a reason, to produce a car with the lowest drag. I like the futuristic, no-compromise looks of the Prius.

I wish Honda well, and hope they give the Prius serious competition.

Harry

15. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Earthling @ Jun 28 2007, 01:29 PM) [snapback]469543[/snapback]</div>
    That depends on the rest of the market. "Full" and "Series" hybrids have greater potential. The "Assist" type only assists.

16. acdii

acdii Active Member

A hybrid doesn't need to be designed as a hybrid from the ground up, aerodynamically maybe, that goes for all cars, but not necessarily for hybrid purposes. Any vehicle that has room available for the extra battery pack can be made a hybrid. The only thing the Prius has that is different from others is the MFD controls. The hybrid technology in the Camry and Highlander is identical, only the ICE is different. The Ford Escape uses the same technology as Toyota, gets 34 MPG, yet looks just like all the rest, only way to tell its a hybrid is to look at the badges. Just because it is based on a standard chassis doesn't make it any less of a vehicle. One of the main goals of a hybrid is to reduce emissions and increase fuel economy, so if it is applied to any vehicle and emissions are reduced and fuel economy increases, then it has reached its goal, but to dis one just because it wasn't designed as one from scratch is just poor judgment. I just wish they would make one the size of the Freestyle and make it affordable for those like me with three kids and an in-law, right now if we all want to go somewhere, we either take my F350 or two cars.

17. Per

Per New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Besides, the Cd of the Camry hybrid is only 1/100 more than that of the Prius--no significance.

18. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Honda "is planning a dedicated hybrid model that will feature its own unique styling rather than simply being a hybrid-powered version of an existing model"

Look kids, Big Ben, Parliament...

What in the hell was the Insight?

19. Earthling

Earthling New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Per @ Jun 28 2007, 04:19 PM) [snapback]469629[/snapback]</div>
    Prius = 0.26

Camry = 0.28

from: http://www.edmunds.com/advice/specialrepor...54/article.html

That's twice your number, and I say it's significant. If it wasn't, Toyota wouldn't have tried so hard with the Prius. "Stick a hybrid system in any car" simply doesn't take into account the importance of minimizing drag.

There are other considerations, like placement of battery pack. That's how the Prius gives so much more cargo room than the Civic Hybrid, which loses the "fold down rear seats" feature over the conventional Civic.

Harry

20. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tripp @ Jun 28 2007, 08:47 AM) [snapback]469421[/snapback]</div>
    That's correct, from what I've read Ford had some diesel engine technology having to do with timing and fuel injection which Toyota licensed.

Thank you (and Nerfer) for posting the correct information and helping stop the spread of misinformation.