1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Honda to launch Fit and CR-Z hybrids in 2010, plans larger hybrids

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by joe1347, Jul 13, 2009.

1. joe1347

joe1347 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Link to some recent Honda hybrid news

2. Midpack

Midpack Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The Fit is a better config for me than the Prius for the added cargo capacity. However, I don't want to accept Honda's 41mpg vs the Prius 50mpg. I was considering waiting for the Fit, but not if it's the Insight hybrid tech. Honda is not really going to threaten Toyota's hybrids until they match or exceed Toyota's mpg IMO.

3. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It's important to note that in his comments today, Honda's CEO said although the CR-Z will eventually land in the U.S., there are no plans "as of yet" for the hybrid Fit to make its way overseas. So as of right now, the CR-Z hybrid sportscar will go on sale in Japan in February 2010, and the Fit hybrid will go on sale in Japan "before the end of 2010."
    MarketWatch.com Story
    I think Honda is making a big mistake; I think there is a huge market for both vehicles in hybrid form here in the United States. So what if they already have an Insight (it's not exactly outselling the Prius). If they already have a factory and they are already producing hybrid Fits and CR-Zs in Japan, put them on a boat and let them sell "like hot cakes" over here! (speaking of hot cakes, I'm hungry)

I found this in the article link that you posted in the first post:
    "Ito also revealed that Honda is developing larger hybrids that will use a different, more powerful hybrid system than the Integrated Motor Assist (IMA) system used in its current models. Ito said a two-motor system is under development for medium and larger models, although he declined to give specifics."

(my interpretation: Honda wants to copy Toyota's system, but it is going to introduce it into larger vehicles initially, claiming "the IMA is insufficient for larger vehicles," and then later put the system in it's smaller cars and say "uhhh, we found the system we've been using in our larger vehicles is more efficient than the IMA")

4. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I don't know about the Fit selling "like hot-cakes" here in the US. The only way they're going to be able to do that is if they undercut the price of the Insight by a couple grand. And that will basically put a knife into the back of Insight and Civic Hybrid sales.

I highly doubt that Honda will either license Toyota's or Ford's hybrid setup. I think it will be far more likely that they will put a second motor on the rear wheels so that they are able to get a real EV mode without having to spin the engine.

Or perhaps they will sandwich two motors in between the engine and transmission coupled with a clutch. The motor closer to the engine will be relatively small - primarily used to spin up the engine when additional power is required. The motor closer to the transmission will be much larger and provide the vast majority of electrical power and regenerative braking.

Hmm... that's a good idea - I better patent it myself!

5. justlurkin

justlurkin Señor Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    LOL, that is the perfect description of the GM 2-mode hybrid system.

I think they beat you to it. :D

6. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Figures! So I guess Honda must be going with rear mounted motors, then eh? :D

7. nthach

nthach New Member

Acutally, knowing Honda's obsession with VTEC and pixie dust it will be a new ZOMG SUPAR HYBRID I-VTAK. :)

8. Evilshin

Evilshin Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    My brother owns a fit and I own a Prius. The cargo capacity isn't better on the fit. I do satellite dish installs and I need a reasonable sized ladder in there. I typically carry one of those 17' extension/folding ladders. It doesn't fit in the Fit, unless you fold the front passenger seat down. The fit does have a better height capacity for cargo towards the rear. Interior volume is a bit less on the fit and the cargo volume is higher when you have all the seat folded up. If you have the rear seats folded down, the cargo volume is about the same.

But hey, I got my 46" TV from my parent's place home in the Prius, and my brother got it to my parent's place (from his work, employee purchase) in the Fit... so the jury is still out.

9. Midpack

Midpack Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have a lot of small stuff, so I can pack to fit the space. It's well documented that the Fit has 57cuft and the 2010 Prius has 40cuft, so the Fit has almost 50% more space. And the Fit floor is relatively flat compared to the Prius. I plan to buy a Prius for the mpg, but the Fit has the Prius beat hands down on cargo space unless you have something specific that fits better in the Prius - I don't.

10. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I got my 46 inch LCD TV home from the shop in the box!

11. Evilshin

Evilshin Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I think you should check your math... 57 divide by 40 is 42% more cargo space.... That's about 16% error there... ;)

Honestly 17 cu ft is not a significant amount of extra room.

Yes, I was thinking inside the box... ;) I got the 46" TV into the back, box and all... I might have been able to get a 52" TV in there box and all... There was plenty of length left and lots of height. The box just barely fit in the Fit lengthwise, without moving the front seats forward. So a 52" would have still fit in the Fit...

12. Midpack

Midpack Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I said "almost 50%" since the Fit is only 3cuft short of it. Enjoyed your response nonetheless since your original post included no factual info and was categorically false in several respects - but now you're the master of precision. Priceless...

1 person likes this.
  13. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    If he worked at GM, he would fit right in. :rolleyes:

14. blippo

blippo New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The Hybrid Fit should do well

15. Evilshin

Evilshin Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Please, it was a joke... You sense of humour would make you fit right in with the UAW... :D

:focus:

The Fit works with Honda's less than inspiring hybrid system. IMA and IMA2 essentially are still electric torque boosters to a gasoline vehicle. Granted it does reduce the number of disposable components in the cars by replacing both the starter and alternator.

Tkhe problem is that the ICE is always turning when the car is in motion. Even with the insights IMA 2, the ICE is turning, with no fuel running to it, in electric only mode. That combined with a belt CVT system, honda won't have too many large hybrids. Certainly not any SUVs or minivans.

So their hybrids are smaller cars. The closest car to the fit is the Yaris. The question is would anyone buy a yaris hybrid? Well the yaris sedan is closest to the echo sedan, which is the frame and body they built the 2001 to 2003 Priuses... Toyota wisely replaced that model with the 2004 design rather than have both.

Honda being only able to produce compact to small midsized hybrids has the civic hybrid, the insight and now a fit hybrid. To me, it's like if Toyota produced the Prius, the 01-03 prius, and offered to make a yaris hatchback hybrid?

Unfortunately it doesn't help a company to produce too many models that serve the same purpose. Look at GM with chevrolet and pontiac... Or look at the Camary hybrid. It is a sedan unlike the Prius, about the same interior space, but more passenger elbow room, but less fuel efficient. Add the higher price and poof, you have a car that's a lot less popular than the Prius, that really ends up competing with yourself.

I think a fit hybrid would have been a great idea if they didn't bring back the Insight...

16. wfolta

wfolta Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hmmm... the Prius is substantially larger (16" longer, 2" wider), though not quite as tall. Sitting next to one at a traffic light, it certainly does not look like it has more room behind the rear seats or in the rear seating area, so I am rather suspicious that Honda's found a loophole in how cargo space is measured.

The Fit is a bit taller, and since it has no traction batteries, it may have a lower floor, but almost half-again as much space? Color me skeptical on that one.

1 person likes this.
  17. Evilshin

Evilshin Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    When I visit my parent's place at the same time as my brother, my prius is parked beside his fit. And I tell you, there isn't a lot of extra room in the fit. Now the kammback design of the Prius does mean there is a bit less room height wise towards the rear. But yeah, the question really is how is it measured? What is measured... is the spare tire compartment considered cargo room? What about the under the floor cargo area? Etc...

18. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well the good point about the Fit is the low cargo floor and the fact that you can carry tall items. You can't do that in the Prius. That item will have to be laid flat down on the floor in the Prius.

19. accordingly

accordingly Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  20. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looking forward to having a truly lightweight platform.