1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Honda: we won't be able to sell gas-only engines in China by 2025

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by ggood, Dec 31, 2015.

1. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Honda: we won't be able to sell gas-only engines in China by 2025

In an interview with Wards Auto, Honda's chief technology strategy officer Keiji Ohtsu predicted that by 2025, Honda wouldn't be selling any cars with traditional internal combustion engines in the world's most populous country. "In 2025, we don't expect to be able to sell conventional internal-combustion engines [in China]," Ohtsu said, "meaning we will be selling mostly hybrids including plug-in types."

bwilson4web likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    let's make a world tour out of it.:)

3. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    bisco likes this.
  4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't follow the Honda logic...if dirty cars is issue China can move to USA/CARB standards. Sounds a little more like Honda CEO trying to get his work force more plug-in orientated by making some policy assumptions. But I do think this is an exciting era for vehicle development which I support including H2 FCEV I am not picking politically correct answers..

Anyone been over in that part of world knows you got scooters taking over the road, or whatever they call em.

5. stephane

stephane Prius v owner

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    no scooter or any bicycle allowed in China Guangzhou city anymore the rest will come slowly

6. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    In a large country like china or the US 10,000 psi hydrogen infrastructure is very very expensive, hundreds of billions or trillions of dollars. The GDP in china is only about 2/3 the GDP in the US, and without natural gas resources Hydrogen infrastructure would be much more expensive and probably fueled by coal which has its own problems. China's government is not swayed by lobbying from Japanese companies who are doing most of the H2 lobbying today, in fact the government moves from thinking Japanese imports are ok, to being very much against them. There is no future for hydrogen consumer vehicles in china until proved somewhere else and that appears decades away. The most likely spot for proof is Japan, again, the invader of china in world war II, and bad feelings are strong.

Raising standards for pollution might help, but it would hurt chinese car companies more than foreign ones, and chinese government like the Japanese government bends over backwards for their domestic companies. The bans also decrease traffic, and push the new oil lowering plug-ins and hybrids. I think the chinese are much more likely to enforce a efficiency of oil requirement than the US.

The chinese car market is now the largest in the world, it passed the US. GM and VW make a good deal of their profits selling cars in china. I think any car company is going to take that seriously. It is not a closed market like Japan, so Honda will have to modify for Chinese tastes and bow to the chinese government if they want a share of that profit.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and give them all their proprietary technology.

8. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...I am saying, the article does not say China is blocking ICE-only sales after 2025...instead the article seems to say Honda's CTO is making that assumption...and you know what they say about assumptions

9. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think china will block sales of them, but I think the CTO is right, if its not at least a hybrid or plug-in there will be a big tarrif making them not buy imports made in Japan. They may still buy bmw's and mercedes for the cache, but those two luxury makes are adding plug options to all those expensive cars they sell in china.

I expect only domestically produced gasoline models will sell in china in 2025, and I seriously doubt they will take japanese produced fuel cell vehicles in more than a token number.