Honest opinion. Is this a bad idea? High mileage job

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by berderder, Jul 3, 2020.

1. berderder

berderder New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It’s plausible the brake fluid in my Prius has never been replaced, so perhaps it’s time.

Sometimes I hear a groaning sound when I brake at a slow rolling stop. Seems to only happen every once in a while. Could that be anything to do with the brake fluid?

2. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    You're probably hearing some oxidation build-up on the rotors getting scrubbed off. Happens more in a Prius because the mechanical brakes are used less.

Fluid won't change the sound.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You've GOT to come up with a different term, lol.

upload_2020-7-8_6-56-16.png

Toyota USA says nothing about changing brake fluid. Toyota Canada recommends tri-yearly or 48K changes. Dealership charge should be $100~150 for this, I'd speculate. It's relatively easy. I've done it myself a couple of times, using the sanctioned non-Techstream method. @NutzAboutBolts has a video on this. It takes about an hour, plus the time getting the car raised and wheels off. Theoretically you could do it with the car on the ground, wheels on I think, but it's awkward.

That's probably (and hopefully) normal, depending on the sound. There IS sound I hear every so often, doing moderate to heavy braking, just as the car stops (picture coming to a full stop at bottom of steep hill), which I suspect is the brake booster. There is warranty extension(s) on that, it's a pain to get too, and expensive. Not a typical DIY repair either.