1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Honestly insight is better than Prius C (Consumer Reports reviews)

Discussion in 'Honda/Acura Hybrids and EVs' started by Troy Heagy, May 29, 2014.

1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Comments from Honda are that North America will get a sedan hybrid based on the Fit and then a Fit SUV.

2. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We have the Honda Jazz (Fit in the US) hybrid here. It's a bit crap: it's a weak hybrid, so you can't creep in electric-only mode in traffic, which I think is a hybrid's best attribute.

Is that Woo out of Survivor? It sounds like him. He is one of the world's great philosophers.

3. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    The car can creep in electric mode, but it spins the engine while doing that, so not very efficient (see image below). People claim the Insight is "noisy" but Edmunds measured it as quieter than a Prius:
    CIVIC HYBRID: 70 mph Cruise: 68.0
    INSIGHT: Db @ 70 mph Cruise: 68.8
    PRIUS: Db @ 70 mph Cruise: 69.7
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Peter Danlyn

Peter Danlyn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    And the c comes in at 66.5!

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    This will probably be the last time I post in any of his threads. Testing of the "ignore" function reveals:
    • threads started by them 'disappear'
    • quotes by others 'disappear'
      • this leads to amusing 'muttering to themselves' revisions as the offending material has disappeared
    It comes down to a question of signal-to-noise. There are enough interesting subjects to discuss that we can choose to filter out the noise. It happens.

Bob Wilson

cwerdna and Chuck. like this.
  6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Is it the new one that came out in Japan last year, or the old one. The old one was the IMA with a CVT and NiMH pack. Probably the same drive train as the Insight2. The new one uses a dual clutch transmission and Li-ion battery. Don't know off hand if the new motor is more powerful or not. The new Jazz bested the Aqua/c on the Japanese test cycle. Then Toyota played with the software to get the Aqua back on top.

No, the talking raccoon from the web comic, Sandra and Woo.

7. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Only close-minded people use the ignore function; Open minded people are willing to hear all viewpoints (even ones they disagree with). "Each is more fun to drive than its larger counterpart--the Prius c more nimble than its Prius brother, and the Insight is more fun to fling around than the larger Civic Hybrid--no doubt thanks to underpinnings shared with the Fit and CR-Z..... There's no doubt that each is capable of impressive economy figures, though if you do plenty of city driving you might find the Prius c's smaller exterior size and electric-only running returns higher MPG than the mild-hybrid Honda.

"If budget is truly a concern, it's worth noting that at $18,500, the base Insight is cheaper to buy than the $19,900 base Prius c. The difference would comfortably cover a year's gas in either car."

2012 Toyota Prius C Vs 2012 Honda Insight: Sub-$20K Hybrids Compared

8. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Re-reading your comment..... it still doesn't make sense. It's like saying the Fit is competing with the Corolla. They aren't even in the same class (compact vs. midsize).

For many years (2002 onward) the Civic Hybrid was Honda's choice to compete against the Prius' competition. And still is.

Honda put the 2010 Insight in the next class lower competing against no other hybrid (because at the time, there was no compact hybrid) (or any hybrid available for less than 20,000). Its competition was the nonhybrids in the compact/low-cost arena.

9. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm surprised that somebody who claims to get 70.3 MPG in a G3 doesn't get the idea of comparing the I2 with the G3.
    Evidently, automobile enthusiast sites aren't that thick, since I believe more than one of these compared the two when the I2 launched.
    Back when my company issues me a G3 in 2010, I seriously considered getting one to the point where I was negotiating with dealers.
    Coincidently.....Honda also launched the I2 around the same time, so I was able to do a "stare and compare" between the two models, and I started shopping at Honda dealers.
    I quickly (re)discovered why I've never bought a Honda after decades of driving and purchasing dozens of cars, but that's a different story.
    I chose "D" - "none of the above"

If all of that doesn't make sense to you then I would strongly recommend that you do not buy cars for the reason that I buy cars, little of which has anything to do with whether the US Government considered the particular car that I'm looking at to be "big" or "little."

One of the reasons that I like to watch baseball, but I cannot stand to be in the same room with baseball FANS is that they're always getting into these daffy "6" versus "a half dozen" arguments.

In the end....
    It doesn't matter.
    The I2 is going to be Manufacturer Discontinued.
    That means it failed the only comparison test that really matters in the automotive world.
    Prius - succeeded.
    Prius "C" type - succeeding so far.

Insight - didn't.

Done. :)

bwilson4web likes this.
  10. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I got 81.5 when I rented an Insight for a testdrive. Not really a fair comparison though because:
    - insight is smaller (compact vs. midsize) so less weight
    - has less drag than Prius G3 due to smaller front
    - insight has about 30% smaller engine, so it burns less gasoline when hypermiled

Insight is better-compared to the C. Frankly the insight is more "classy" inside than the C, which is shocking since it costs less.
    Irrelevant. What car has never been discontinued? Eventually they all stop being manufactured. Example: The Prius sedan. Its sales were very poor when it looked like an Echo (but with double the price), so the Prius sedan was discontinued. In fact every car I've ever owned (Omni, Caravelle, Avenger, Eclipse, New Beetle) has been discontinued. I bet the same is true for your previous cars, but that's okay, because it's a normal progression.