1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hood damper (lift, prop)

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by tanasit, May 30, 2012.

1. anewhouse

anewhouse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    tanasit,
    Sorry for the slow reply - I'll address your other questions soon, but I wanted to get back to you on the part number. Apparently I was mistaken on the brand of these shocks - it's actually "SUSPA" (suspaparts.com). The rest of the details on the shock itself are: "Grand Rapids, MI, C16-24212, 50 lbs, 12/20".
    I remember reading "Stabilus" (or Stabilius?) on something; apparently it wasn't these shocks - sorry for the confusion!
    The ball head on my shocks is indeed 10mm, and the shaft itself is 8mm in diameter. I can try to check the threads on the end of the shaft later tonight; I don't have a pair of pliers next to the computer! ;)

Hope this is helpful, and I'll get back to you about the rest,
    Andy

2. anewhouse

anewhouse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    tanasit,
    I'll try to provide some more answers now. Hope they're helpful - don't hesitate to ask if there's anything else I can help with!
    When I pop the hood, and then release the lever, I have to lift the hood a little bit, but then the gas spring takes over and lifts it the rest of the way up. When I say "a little bit", it probably feels like I'm lifting a 5 or 10lb weight, over a vertical distance of less than a foot. Then I let go, and it lifts all the way to the top by itself. It's even easier than the kit I bought for my Vibe - very sweet. :cool:

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this - do you mean when you take a bare shock (non-installed) and push it straight down against a bathroom scale? I did this with my spare shock, and the bathroom scale read 65-70 lbs before the shock bottomed out.

I noticed a little bit of flex at the hood hinge (top) bracket also. But it didn't seem too bad to me, and it only flexes visibly at the very beginning of the compression. Once it starts moving, it seems to move very smoothly and without apparent flex.
    I definitely don't feel like I'm going to bend or break anything, even if I shut the hood fairly quickly/forcefully. Maybe if someone pushed down really hard on the corner of the hood directly opposite the bracket, it would flex quite a bit, but even then, I'd be really surprised to see a permanent bend.
    BUT - your point is valid - two lighter shocks would definitely be safer and more balanced than one heavy one.

Do you mean your hood doesn't go up all the way on its own, or that the shocks acutally prevent it from going up all the way? IOW, if you give it a little help lifting, does it go up all the way?
    I'm sure most of that is due to the lack of total force, as you mentioned. However, I suspect the angle of the shock, the total stroke length, and some sort of "pressure curve" function also play a role in how well something like this works. (I think I got lucky with this installation... ;) ) I don't know if "pressure curve" is the correct terminology, but I assume each brand and length of shock is slightly different in terms of where in the stroke it provides the most force. For example, mine might be providing maximum force right near the end of the stroke, so it gives enough boost to prop the hood all the way up, while other brands/lengths might respond differently. But my experience is very limited - does this make sense based on the various setups you've used?
    To address your decision more directly, I would definitely go with two 40lb shocks rather than two 50's. I have the 50, and one does the trick alone! I think two at this force level would make the hood unnecessarily difficult to close...
    If I were doing this again, I would probably order two of the 30lb shocks (20.12" extended) from McMaster (item
    ). Since my "50lb" shock provides an apparent 65lbs of force, two 30's of the same brand and length should provide slightly more than that, and provide more than enough force to open the hood.

Hope this is helpful,
    Andy

3. tanasit

tanasit Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Andy,

Thanks again for the detail and sectional reply...(y) When I open my hood, I have to lift it a little then the shocks will take over but they do NOT push the hood all the way up. I have to push it up for the last few inches and it seems like they even fight with me because it is like I am pushing the hood through thick mud! Then the hood will stay put nicely and on the way down I can just push it down easily. At the moment, I have a feeling that my shocks may be somewhat defective. I will write the company and see what they say.

As for the new shock, I will wait for the company to reply back first but if they will do nothing I may go for the 19.72" one and perhaps 40 lb ones.

As for the term you coin "pressure curve", I do understand what you mean and I think in theory the shock should start off with maximum force, then the gas expands a little thus reducing the force somewhat all the way to the end of the stroke. More to the point is the "angle of attack" which play the major role on how the effective force is distributed throughout the cycle. If you were to play with the truck, you will see exactly what I mean.

Remember the hole you pointed out at first, it's the one that is very close to the hinge. I was thinking of the short shock that might work but again I am afraid of the flex force that may later deform the hood or frame structures. This already happened with my 4Runner and I had to add the braces to strengthen the hood's edges.

I will report back when I hear from Circuits Sport.

Have a nice day,

Tanasit

4. anewhouse

anewhouse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for sharing! Sounds like a good plan.

I would do some measurements before ordering anything! A few of the potential mounting points I measured would not have worked at all - the extended length would have been more than twice as long as the compressed length! Unless there was some sort of 3-section telescoping shock, it simply wouldn't work. I don't remember which holes these were, but the headlight area (where both our shocks are mounted) was really the only lower bracket area that made sense in my mind when I was measuring.
    But if you can figure something else out - maybe a different hood mounting point? - I'll look forward to hearing about it!
    Andy

5. tanasit

tanasit Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    My current ones' length is 17 inches and it opens just enough so I can go wider, thus longer shocks. I figure no more than 2 inches longer will translate into 5 inches or so wider at the lip of the hood. I am tempted to try out a few sets from local auto part stores too. I don't think they rated the force but only for what cars, so I have to go by the length and stroke only.

6. tanasit

tanasit Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    2009 2010 2011 2012 Toyota Prius XW30 Silver Carbon Fiber Hood Damper Set d3n5 | eBay

Andy,

I decided on the 18.2" from McMaster at 50 lbs. each. I can't go beyond the 19" length because the hood will max out.

I just saw the set above and looked at the brackets design with interest. My shaft is M6 though.
    Then I was looking at the gas spring with remote release and couldn't help thinking "what if".... a remotes release combined with a bypass trunk unlock switch, you will get an auto-open trunk. ;)

7. tanasit

tanasit Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Andy,

I chose the 50lbs/18.18" ones but once arrived, they are M8 not M6 as the others! I had to order the M8 ball sockets which arrived the very next day. :)
    After I installed the 50lbs ones, even at 18.18" the hood opened almost at 90 degree and rose up rather fast!
    I then decided to get the 40lbs/17.13" ones that come with the ball links and again I ordered at 3pm and they arrived the next day afternoon.
    With this set the hood opened up to about the same as the stock rod but at the end of the stroke, it sped up a little which is fine by me.
    I later checked the force of the 50lbs one and it read around 64 lbs! I was thinking of getting the 30lbs ones but then I remember in winter time how much less power they will be, so I will settle down with this set.
    No bracket relocation required.
    I thought about getting the quick-release connector, in case I want to change the opening width but again I may never need that...;)

8. tanasit

tanasit Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Since the setup at 2x50lbs shock gives me a rather rapid rise at the end, I thought I should try replacing one of them with my old Circuit sport which I tested at 30lbs. I was hoping that the new combine force of 80 lbs will be better. After I removed one 50lbs shock, I tested it and just like you said, it had enough force to push the hood up with authority and hold it too. But I still noticed a fast rise at the end, so I put a CS 30lbs to pair with. At this point you may ask why do I want to add more force when one 50lbs shock is powerful enough.
    When I tested the force by pushing it straight down onto the bathroom scale, I noticed that the CS shock moved much slower on the return stroke that the SUSPA Grand Rapids from McMASTER. I also think that McMASTER underrated the shock force somewhat. Anyway after I paired up the 30lbs CS and the 50lbs SUSPA, the upward motion becomes slower and more gentle at the end. After I checked the trunk, I think my combo is smoother and not as forceful at the end (but again the truck is much heavier).

I have another plan in mind and have all the parts to go ahead??:censored:

anewhouse likes this.
  9. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Pretty Cool... Great ideas everyone... I'm gonna try my luck looking for one at a car junk yard for less than $10. I'll post pictures if I find something that works...

10. anewhouse

anewhouse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Update: I still love this damper! I smile every time I open my hood with one hand and it props itself up. :)
    I'm in the process of cleaning up spare parts, and came across my spare damper rod. This is the 50lb, 20.12" version - one of them props up my v's hood perfectly. PM me if you're interested, and I'll be listing it in the "Private Sales" forum, along with a few ball mount brackets.

11. ImeanGreen

ImeanGreen Prius v Five BP Brigade #236

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  12. tanasit

tanasit Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    When I took mine for the services, I put a note saying that it has a gas lift please open the hood slowly, otherwise they may damage something! And yes still smile every time I pop up the hood. :)

13. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Doesn't a single side-rod tend to torque the hood?

14. tanasit

tanasit Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    It depends on the structure and the brackets/base combination. All factory installed should have no issues but after market may. As for the Prius V, which came without one so people has to do some modifications. I already tried the single shock with unhappy result, so I used two. Note that with my setup, 25 lbs is too weak and 50 lbs is too strong, so I mixed them up. I tested when is's very cold and if it holds the hood then it should work fine all year round. The ones that have just enough lift to hold in summer time, may not have enough strength to hold the hood in winter. When possible, use 2.;)

15. Eric "v"

Eric "v" Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks guys. I "need" this conversion to complete my mods and make the car look more "upscale".

16. tanasit

tanasit Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Plus easy to work with without the rod in the way. :)