1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hood Hinge Broke

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Jt2012prius, Mar 5, 2017.

1. Jt2012prius

Jt2012prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The passenger side front hood hinge broke on our 2012 Prius 2. I did order a new one and now am looking for guidance in replacing the hinge. Of course the bolts to the hood side are easy to reach. The two bolts that attach the hinge to the body are a whole lot harder. Do you have to take off the fender? If the fender needs to be removed how is that done? I can see both bolts but they are on the back side of the hood hinge bracket so it looks like it will take some special stubby tools. I have no problem buying any tools but this looks really tight. Any suggestions?
    Thanks

#1 Jt2012prius, Mar 5, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That indeed might be the way the way to go. Maybe it can be just disconnected at the top and shifted out of the way??

3. Jt2012prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, the top of the fender would need to pull away a couple of inches. How is the top of the fender mounted to the car?

4. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you open front/passenger door there's a single bolt at the top, and under the hood there's several bolts along the seam, and the headlight has one screw connecting there as well. Take all of those out and see how it goes?

Lube all your hinge hinges and pivot points, while you're on a roll. Heads of hinge mounting bolts are good to hit too. I just went around ours, noticed the gas cap filler door hinge was getting sticky.

#4 Mendel Leisk, Mar 6, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    James Analytic likes this.
  5. Jt2012prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ok, thanks to your help I got the hood hinge replaced. Here is how:
    Under the hood there's three bolts along the fender seam. One is hidden under rubber, this third one is actually connected to the hood hinge.
    The headlight has two screws connecting along that top fender seam. Be careful because the headlight nuts are plastic.
    Now you have to pull the top of the fender away from the car to expose the hood hinge bolts. This is a bit scary because the fender has a top edge that is shaped around the front door little triangle window. Just pull the fender enough to get a long extension with flex end socket set down into the two bolts holding the hood hinge to the car.

6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thanks for the follow up; good to know how this can be done. (y)

Raytheeagle likes this.
  7. James Analytic

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Awesome! Thanks for the know how and detailed write up. Oddly, my drivers side 2013 head light was dead this morning so went to remove and the plastic cylinder broke off mainly just at the connector orange seal with a little bit above. I picked out what was broken off in the connector with a dental pick and blew out with electronics canned air.

Then, after bagging up the connector and shoving some of the plastic bag in the assembly socket, I went to the yard to get new parts for both my cars and grabbed a whole front end set of light assemblies with bulbs since a 50% sale was going on. Well; I get back home to replace the headlight bulb, open up the hood and snap! The drivers side hood hinge broke. Unbelievable and to boot, the gen 3 prius I got the parts from later when I came back to look at had a guy sawsall'in off the hood at the hinge. Go figure! Though there is one more gen 3 left in the yard plus last I knew 3 at the other related yard with the 50% off sale going on, so will check out and see if I can get the part from tomorrow or locally.

One question, did you drive around with the hood hinge broke?

Seems solid, one I got the hood to latch, though I don't really want to unless I get affirmation that I should be OK to since is about 2hrs on the road to the 50% off sale yard that has the part.

I'm thinking to get back on the road quicker, even if I have to weld the sawsall cut hinge. Mine broke very close to the pivot point, so thinking welding isn't a good idea.

#7 James Analytic, Mar 10, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2023
  8. James Analytic

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Figure I'll note here what I found online regarding replacing for those that like videos:

I'll also post what I observed for more detail where 10mm bolts are used for the four fender bolts (one on the headlight assembly) and four 12mm bolts are used for the hood hinge (x2 - hood and x2 - frame). A regular 12mm socket with an extension can be used with either a 1/4" or 3/8" drive noting that you'll have to pull the fender back more for the larger drive if not apparent.

Situation
    upload_2023-3-14_23-14-4.png
    My situation due to not lubricating I'm guessing after removing and assessing the stuck.

(Prep for the work on yard car dude cut the hinge with my cut off disc)
    Gen3 Prius Transplant Patient Post Op Review - Traumatized Gen3 Prius Hinge Followup Brief Notes - YouTube (Followup detail I didn't find covered elsewhere vlogged so all the rubber part isn't peeled off to access the one fender 10mm bolt mounted to the top of the hinge base)