1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hood release already broken?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ucla107, Mar 19, 2016.

1. ucla107

ucla107 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    So as I was checking out every part of the car this evening, I already noticed that the hood release pull was already a little lose...

Then I felt that the bottom cover under the steering column was also lose and noticed that it wasn't inserted all way (the part closer to the center/passenger side) so I took it off to rescuer it (quick fix). But as I was resecuring it, the hood release came completely off then I noticed there are two screw holes next to it... So I don't know if they missed a part or if they had to take something off but forgot to put everything back together?

I don't have time this week to go down to the dealer to see if the other cars look like that or not, so I'd appreciate if some of you can let me know if yours look similar to mine, or if in fact mine is missing something?

It was a quick fix to pop the pull handle back, but I'm questioning whether there is a missing piece and what the workmanship is? image.jpeg

image.jpeg image.jpeg

#1 ucla107, Mar 19, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
  2. se-riously

se-riously Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm guessing the two screw holes were a dealer installed kill switch for the car that was removed when you chose to purchase the car without buying that accessory.

3. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Or maybe an alarm system that was removed? What is that thing in the last photo, circled in purple? And what is that small orange light bulb for?

#3 Coast Cruiser, Mar 19, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
  4. vince22

vince22 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Take it back to the dealer , and demand for a replacement for that part without holes in it, absolutely unacceptable, that's a lousy aftermarket install leftovers, all they care is for quick rip off marked up sale.

5. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hey Vince,
    Where did you get those dual exhaust pipes at? And do they change the sound?

6. ATHiker

ATHiker Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I might well accept the holes since they at not visiblble -- grudgingly, for environmental/waste reasons -- depending on how the dealer addressed the issue but....

I sure as heck would want an acceptable answer as to what was going on down there especially considering the other issues you found-- in large measure because there is an air bag down there and I would want to be 100% sure nothing they did could possible have compromised it.

7. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    If you "accept" the holes then the dealer wins. Just because they may not be visible doesn't mean they wouldn't affect the car's value if/when sold. Personally, I would ask for a completely different vehicle since who knows what else they may have messed up (and would thoroughly inspect it top to bottom before accepting it.)

8. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Looks like the classic mounting location for the Karr alarm systems the dealer installed on previous generation Prii.