1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hopefully just a replacement battery pack...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Todd Kunkel, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Todd Kunkel

Todd Kunkel New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would love to hear some suggestions, as with most of us, multiple component failure is a cost I can barely take at the moment.

TL;dr : Red triangle of doom, auto shop kid accidentally reset code without reading it, Bad battery pack symptoms after. Is that all?

I did actually read a bunch of threads here, and googled a bunch of stuff so I'm 100% sure my 14 year 120k mile battery needs replacing. What I'm trying to discern is if it's just a bad battery pack at play here, or is it likely there are other costs waiting after I clear that first hurdle.

So my 2005 Prius flashed the red triangle of doom leaving work the other day. While trying to "just make it home" which is less that 2 miles, at one red light the ICE started racing. I couldn't find my CAM code reader so I took it to a local parts shop that will read it for free, but it must have been the kids first day or something as he reset the lights/code without actually reading the codes.

Since my average day consists of >6 miles of travel, I figured I'd just use the car like normal and the code will reappear in short order. It hasn't after 3 days, but the charge indicator has been behaving very strangely. I'll start the car in the morning and it will be 2 or 3 bars of charge. Within 1/2 a block or maybe a block I'll be well into the green, and by the time I get to work 2.3 miles later I'm at full bars. Start the car 8 hours later, 2 or 3 bars of charge. Wash, rinse. repeat. 1 day I had 2 bars in the a.m. after shutting it off the night before at full.

Besides a new battery pack which I'm working on, is there other factors that may need to be addressed?

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

Beyond reading and recording the thrown 'codes', you might want to consider cleaning the HV battery fan.

You may still be early enough in the HV battery failure process that you could try and recondition the battery and avoid a full or partial replacement.

Once you have the DTCs (codes), please post them here and 'we' can assist you in sorting out the best course of action.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. Todd Kunkel

Todd Kunkel New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe I was too hard on the kid at the auto parts store, apparently my code reader can't "see" the codes either. It knows there is a warning condition, but none of the available modules to read have codes it can find. In other news, the triangle of doom is back, about 30 seconds after my son (who didn't know any better) turned on the heat on the way home from school. Fun fact, I can get a tech to my house with a refurbished battery faster than I can get a new OBD/CAM reader delivered.

Edit for update, co-worker has Torque Pro and a bluetooth reader in his car, and we'll be checking the codes at lunch.

#3 Todd Kunkel, Feb 7, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  4. Todd Kunkel

Todd Kunkel New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Confirmed. The only code was the dreaded P0A80. And I now have cleaning the fan on my to do list for this weekend.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    be careful of refurbished batteries and the purveyors of such