1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hoping to use my new to me 2001 for a long commute: from the coast, through the mountains...

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Mesuec1, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Mesuec1

Mesuec1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    My 2001 Prius has 62k and did not come with an owners manual. While waiting to get one, and a second key (I will guard the one I have like gold after all I have read here), is there anything I should watch for? The oil has been freshly changed and radiator flushed as it was a California car. (My commute is 153 miles round trip, so I have a great relationship with the my repair shop.) Is there a link to find out what all the stuff on the instrument panel means?

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    1 person likes this.
  3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Dang Mes, that is a low-miles unit! Your car can do all that you ask of it and more. But we need to make sure that all systems are in good condition.

You mention radiator flush but there are two distinct coolant loops and both of those should have had the fluid renewed.

The 12 volt battery should be good, or replaced. Your mechanic can handle that.

As always after resales, we want to know the history of this unit! Take the VIN to Toyota and ask (or but from them) the whole story. With a few issues in particular, but let us read the history first.

It is not too early to think about replacing the transaxle fluid. With T-IV if you are conventional, or T-WS if you are feeling frisky. At least one other fluid has been talked up here for the purpose.

Also, read up here about how to do the (new) transponder key dance. Five drivers' door closings are involved unless my memory has failed. THe easy way to do those is to use a handy finger to press the door-frame closing switch.

Heh heh I am at the other end of the pipeline. Kinda wish I was you :) I miss that odd little car :) I guess that's why I still hang around here.

Where the heck is Otis?

1 person likes this.
  4. freidawg

freidawg Prius Recycler

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would go ahead and get the transaxle fluid changed and look to make sure the inverter coolant pump is working.

Eric

1 person likes this.
  5. Mesuec1

Mesuec1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thank to all of you. The 12v battery was replaced by the dealer. They knew about the two coolant loops when they did the radiator. Otis is 6 miles from Lincoln City, Oregon: half way down the oregon coast. It is best known for being for sale: a post office, a gas station, a Pronto Pup and cafe. The weather has been so bad I have not driven it into Portland to the Toyota dealer to check history. The owner at the repair shop had been going to buy it, had checked it out and was waiting on the dealer to put on the lot. I will get to hear about how he wanted to buy the car every time I take it in. I will have the transaxle fluid and inverter coolant pump checked when the weather improves. Snow, ice, rain and 40 to 70 mile per hour winds.