1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Horn doesnt work

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by MagnusAG99, Aug 8, 2017.

1. MagnusAG99

MagnusAG99 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey guys, Do any of u guys know where the "horn spiral" is in the steering wheel? i had the car on service at a toyota dealership and the mechanic said it was the horn spiral in the steering wheel that only makes it work on occasions, (like when the the steering wheel is in a certain position). But yea, i was wondering if i just should change it myself cause it will cost 500$ doing it there... Or maybe just change out the whole airbag thingy, my concern is just that if i replace the whole thing it will come up with warning lights and all kinds of shit cause its not the original centerpiece airbag and horn.

i know how to take the steering wheel apart and all that, and since imma change out the steering wheel buttons on both sides anyways maybe i could change that horn thingy also.

2. CHockMT

CHockMT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm experiencing trouble too that may be a failing spiral cable behind the steering wheel. I've lost the Touch Tracer functionality as well as the ability to toggle between Odometer?Trip A/Trip B and the Mode screens. I'm hoping someone will have some good advice so I can fix my 2010.

3. MagnusAG99

MagnusAG99 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think u should change out ur steering wheel controls completely, like a new set, like im gonna do. It may also just be the connector in the steering wheel that isnt connected properly. I think thta mmmaaaaaaayyyy be the probIem of ur buttons not working, im just gonna change out mine cause the buttons look complete shit, lol. But the horn thing im really wondering what tha hell to do...

4. CHockMT

CHockMT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I disassembled the steering wheel and checked connector seating - no change. Have you priced new button controls?

5. MagnusAG99

MagnusAG99 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    i havent found any controlls at a reasnable price yet, its like 50 dollars each. Thinking of bying gloss black ones tho. From a chinese company that claims its like OEM quality. stupid how i cant just change out the rubber thingy, its removable but no one sells it.

6. CARSFAN4

CARSFAN4 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    thanks for your info. I do have a question for a similar defect of the steering wheel spiral: is this covered by the Manufacturers warranty in case the mileage is less than 10 kmiles but my Prius C is 2015 ? I do have also extended warranty which I dont know if they cover. In any case I will call tomorrow Toyota Corp. Just let me know how and if u solved your problem.

7. San Miguel

San Miguel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Having the same problem with my 2011 Prius. Very expensive to repair. I have seen that Toyota has recalled this part, spiral cable, on most other models, but not Prius. I am looking around at prices to replace it. Also found a Youtube video on how to replace it, doesn't look all that difficult. If you're having this problem, contact Toyota and tell them. Maybe they will recall.

8. Attila Fekete

Attila Fekete Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Some of the guys ordered from Ali and seems to work - I don’t know how long it will last.

9. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It would take millions of reported bad cable for them to even consider recalling.

10. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You can find the spiral cable cheap on ebay if you know how to use it. I just bought one and installed it last week. $10 and about 45 minutes max if you take it slow. Any questions let me know.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There have been other threads on PriusChat about people buying the ten-dollar spiral cables on eBay and finding them not long-lasting or reliable. But they are so much cheaper than Toyota's; maybe just buy three at a time or so to save shipping, and keep the other two around for later.

It's a little hard to test whether they will successfully deploy the airbag (except by driving the car into something to see what happens, which few purchasers elect to do). If you have access to a high-current micro-ohmmeter to test the cable by itself, that might be a usable way of testing. (Never use such a device to test a cable with the airbag attached; in fact, there are specialized guaranteed-low-current microohmmeters made just for doing that, and nothing else should be used.)