1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Horn Only Works With Steering Wheel Turned

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by osher, Jun 1, 2018.

1. osher

osher Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello everyone

First I am glad to join that wonderful forums. So thanks for all the info and tips.

As my subject says what i did is I remove my steering wheel and got to the clock spring got the part number: 89245-74010

Now my toyota dealer ask me for new part including the work for like 430$

I found the part for like 10$ around the internet... so my question is there is any kind of diffrent? To be honest I'm little afraid from cheap part that handle my airbag connector

Please advise.
    Thank you, Osher.

2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Welcome to your first post on Prius Chat (y).

The cheap clock springs offer mixed success:(.

I’d go with the genuine part, but shop around to ensure you get a good price on the part;).

Good luck and keep us posted (y).

3. analoggirl

analoggirl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II

Hi Osher,
    Have you found a fix for the horn? The horn on my 2011 stopped working and the dealership is telling me it costs $800 for the horn/airbag assembly!? The horn worked when the steering wheel was turned to the left. Now today the radio doesn't turn on with the regular knob but if I press one of the station selectors the radio turns on and off, all of them to the same station. There seems to be some electrical short somewhere. The Toyota dealership near me is a scam and I'm lost as to what to do. What did you end up finding out/doing? Thanks!

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hi ,

Though I'm not Osher, you've got a common problem, nearly always meaning you need to replace the "spiral cable" in your steering column, often also called "clock spring" because of what it looks like.

The part itself may be a few hundred dollars at the dealer. Replacement isn't hard if you can use a torque wrench and have access to a steering wheel puller, which a local auto parts store may have for you to borrow. Fifteen dollars'll get you in to the repair manual at techinfo.toyota.com to see the procedure. Be sure the part about making sure the airbags have no power before taking the wheel apart is clear to you.

Some people report they can manhandle or beat the wheel off the shaft without the puller. I'd still borrow the puller.

There are non-Toyota spiral cables on eBay for much cheaper, but for as infrequently as it wears out, I'd spend the money on the real one and be done with it for a good while.

-Chap

5. analoggirl

analoggirl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks ChapmanF! The dealership says the part itself is $800. The service itself isn't that much. Is there a way to replace just the cable and not the entire assembly? They tell me I can't just purchase the cable from them, I need the entire airbag/cable assembly. And then today the radio is shorting out. It seems there is a bigger issue or maybe they didn't seat the assembly back it well enough? What do you say? Thanks!

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring