1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Horn stopped working, dash light goes off when the headlight is on

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by benprius, Sep 27, 2013.

1. benprius

benprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Got my Prius V 4 years ago. buttons on the right side of the steering went bad few months ago so I cannot reset the Oil change maintenance and not able to view the mode of the car. Then the horn stopped working couple of weeks ago and as of yesterday the dash light does not light up when I put on the headlight.
    Hmmm I'm wondering what next.
    I love the car but started to have electrical issues any suggestions?

2. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yer not gonna believe this but first things first get a new 12v battery, an optima to be exact.

When the 12 volt's low nothing but weirdness goes on, as to the steering wheel buttons, probably toast.

3. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You may have a issue with the clockspring. You may also have a issue with the 12 volt battery.

Also, post's for the Prius V need to be in the correct forum here on Prius Chat.

I would check the voltage of the 12 volt and then go from there.

Best of luck to you and welcome to Prius Chat.

4. PriusInParadise

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    As dorunron states, you may be having an issue with the clockspring, otherwise known as the spiral cable. The spiral cable includes circuits for all the steering wheel controls including the cruise control switches, horn, and driver's airbag. As it fails, more circuits are becoming disabled.
    As for the dash lights, the instrument panel dimmer wheel may have been rotated inadvertently.
    Check the dimmer control on the dash, to the left of the steering column. If it's rotated all the way down, the instrument lights will turn off when the parking lights or headlights are turned on.

5. PriusInParadise

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I believe in the US, the spiral cable is covered under warranty for 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first. I'd verify this with your dealer.