1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Horrendous Squealing Scraping Noise, Front Wheel

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Colin Jones, Nov 10, 2015.

1. Colin Jones

Colin Jones Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Business Edition
    Our Prius is only a year old with less than 9,000 miles. Everything has been fine with it and then yesterday I took it out of the garage and started to drive and there was the most horrendous grinding/squealing/scraping noise as I started moving from the front passenger side (UK passenger, so left looking out). :eek:

I stopped the car and had a look, as at first I thought I was dragging something, but nothing to be seen. Checked the parking brake was definitely not engaged. I then thought perhaps something is caught in the brake pads and it will go in a bit, however even hard braking didn't seem to change the noise at all.

Carried on (I was going about 7 miles), and as I drove it would gradually get quieter, and then get louder again, with the occasional "clang" sound almost like a spring under tension suddenly moving.

Towards the end of the journey it had started to go quieter again, but with the window down you could still hear constant squeal/grind.

Parked the car, was away for an hour, came back and set off home and the noise was totally gone. Entirely silent all the way back home! Now I don't know what to do - whether it will come back, or whether I should take it in to garage for them to look (even though it's now not making any noise).

Any ideas what it could have been? :confused:

2. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    …sounds like a wheel-bearing, perhaps? < 9k miles, still under warranty? "…Excuse me, Miss, I've a complaint about this Prius I purchased from this very boutique, not 9,000 miles ago, which seems to have developed a squeak in the front passenger-side wheel!"
    "Eh? Lovely car that Prius, beautiful plumage! Wot seems to be the problem guv? eh?"… :)

BTW Welcome to PriusChat!

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    probably some debris in there that wore down and finally fell out. if it doesn't come back, i think you're okay.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Jack up that corner, remove the wheel and have a look?

Robert Holt likes this.
  5. Colin Jones

Colin Jones Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Business Edition
    It would have to be weekend if I did as it's dark when I leave home and when I get back from work just now (I cycle). But yeah it's still under warranty. My other half is bringing it in tonight to pick me up so I'll see what it's like on the way home.

6. toyotechwv

toyotechwv Toyota Technician

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds like a gravel stuck between the rotor and dust shield.

SM-G900V ?

7. DumbMike

DumbMike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Take a look at the rotor. If it has some scratches on it, something got stuck. However, you might want to take a closer look at the rotor and the entire area, just to make sure it wasn't badly damaged. I've seen rotors crack due to some bad things happening.

Mike

8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Rotor damage would likely be on the inside, between the dust shield (aka gravel catcher) and rotor. Difficult to see without taking rotor right off. You might be able to see a small strip, at edge of dust shield.

9. Colin Jones

Colin Jones Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Business Edition
    Yeah - I'll see if I can have a look this weekend (when I have some light!). It hasn't made the noise since. Actually at the end of the journey where it was making the noise, I reversed into the car park space, and I wonder if the action of reversing allowed whatever it was to come out, which is why it had magically stopped when I returned to the car an hour later.

WilDavis and Mendel Leisk like this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Sounds plausible.

You know, I've never heard anything positive about the rotor dust shields; seems like their main function is to catch stuff and make horrendous noise, lol.

11. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sounds like a possible solution! :)