1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Horrible Tesla fatal crash blamed on . . .

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by bwilson4web, Feb 13, 2024.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: Tesla employee in fiery crash may be first ‘Full Self-Driving’ death - Washington Post

Hans von Ohain and Erik Rossiter were on their way to play golf one afternoon in 2022 when von Ohain’s Tesla suddenly swerved off Upper Bear Creek Road. The car’s driver-assistance software, Full Self-Driving, was struggling to navigate the mountain curves, forcing von Ohain repeatedly to yank it back on course.
    . . .
    Rossiter, who survived the crash, told emergency responders that von Ohain was using an “auto-drive feature on the Tesla” that “just ran straight off the road,”
    . . .
    Von Ohain and Rossiter had been drinking, and an autopsy found that von Ohain died with a blood alcohol level of 0.26 — more than three times the legal limit — a level of intoxication that would have hampered his ability to maintain control of the car, experts said. Still, an investigation by the Colorado State Patrol went beyond drunken driving, seeking to understand what role the Tesla software may have played in the crash.

The question is critical as automakers race toward the promise of a driverless future. For private vehicles, that day is far from here. But critics say features like Full Self-Driving already are giving drivers a false sense of confidence about taking their eyes off the road — or getting behind the wheel after drinking — evincing the dangers of letting consumers test an evolving, experimental technology on the open road.
    . . .
    At the same time, Tesla user manuals cite a long list of conditions under which Full Self-Driving may not function properly, including narrow roads with oncoming cars and curvy roads. The company has long maintained that drivers must control their cars and that Tesla is not liable for distracted or drunken driving.
    . . .
    At the time, Tesla had just introduced Full Self-Driving, and would eventually release it to a wider group of owners who had been monitored by the carmaker and declared safe drivers. Like many Tesla employees, von Ohain received the feature — then a $10,000 option — free with his employee discount, according to Bass and a purchase order reviewed by The Post.
    . . .

I bought Full Self Driving for $6000 in October 2019. Regardless, I got an update the end of December 2023 and am waiting on the full, AI stack in version 12. The current version nags like a back-seat, mother in law. Hopefully V 12 will sedate her.

Bob Wilson

N4HHE likes this.
  2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    0.26% . . . . . seriously $h1t faced. yep ... i blame the car
    o_O

bwilson4web likes this.
  3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    From a different article [emphasis added]:

"Von Ohain’s widow [name snipped] wants Tesla to take responsibility for her husband’s death:

“Regardless of how drunk Hans was, Musk has claimed that this car can drive itself and is essentially better than a human. We were sold a false sense of security.”

She hasn’t been able to find a lawyer to take the case because he was intoxicated."

[lawyer joke] So somebody finally found a depth to which even the most soul-less bottom-feeding lawyers won't go ...
    [/lawyer joke]

4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Any attorney would be GLAD to take the case on an hourly basis, but contingency fees need a much much higher probability of success. Let's see if Mrs drunkard will put her money where her mouth is.

fuzzy1 and bisco like this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Shute - missed that ad. Then again since it was recorded - I fast forward through halftime, the time in between plays, & all commercials.

bisco likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    same here, makes it much more enjoyable

8. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Last year, it was run in one market, West coast. No need to show it in low Tesla states.

Curious he seems OK with Cruse and Waymo. They need his magical software skills.

Bob Wilson

9. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Towards end of last year Tesla was offering discounts and on top $1000 off for waiting on a Cybertruck. We went in and my son fell in love with FSD, but then noted at times he was fighting the steering wheel, (and I could see him doing so).

They changed the hardware no? To something akin to Subaru’s EyeSight? Now the system has to start learning how to drive all over again….

But that’s one high BAC! Wonder how long the liver could last with that kind of abuse….

10. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Watched 2 ( EDIT - make that 3) fellow workers that were functioning drunks die from liver failure. The liver can take a lot of abuse so it says a lot for how much booze they had to consume.

#10 hill, Feb 14, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2024
  11. sylvaing

sylvaing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Musk chimed in from X, FSD wasn't even installed on his car...

N4HHE likes this.
  12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Oooops .... checking the score
    truth: 1
    haters 0
    ;)

13. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So was the driver also drunk when he acquired the car, or when FSD rolled out, such that he thought he had FSD?

14. sylvaing

sylvaing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Can't ask him since he's dead. It's his friend that said FSD was on, could have mistaken it for Autopilot though, but the fact is Tesla has the history of what features a car has or doesn't have, so even if the drive log got destroyed because of the fire and poor cell reception to send it to Tesla, if it doesn't even have FSD, you don't need no log to know that FSD couldn't have been activated.

15. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    AutoPilot has been standard on Tesla since about a year after I got my 2019. It is a better driver than I am . . . never tired, never drinks, and keeps getting better as my body ages out. I also have FSD which shares the more advanced characteristics as AutoPilot.

One irony is that a Tesla critic, O'Dowd and the Dawn Project, can't see demonstrated defects in Cruise and Waymo:

Bob Wilson

#15 bwilson4web, Feb 15, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2024
  16. N4HHE

N4HHE Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I’m too cheap to pay $12,000 for FSD in my 2023 Model Y LR.

Perhaps they’ll put it on sale one day?

bwilson4web likes this.
  17. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Today's version 11 is not ready. Better than earlier versions but still too much nagging and multi-lane left turns remain unpleasant. It is easier to manually drive left turns.

Bob Wilson

18. sylvaing

sylvaing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You must be eager to try version 12.

19. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Yes. Each FSD release has shown improvements. Fewer nags would be a blessing.

Bob Wilson

N4HHE likes this.
  20. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    kinda like marriage ....

sylvaing and ColoradoCrow like this.