1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Horror Comes -- Have to pump own gasoline -- Maybe

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by cyberpriusII, Mar 29, 2020.

1. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The office said a gas station attendant must be present to supervise refueling to make sure it’s consistent with social distancing policies.

Wait, what??

I was actually thinking this'd be one good time to let the attendants pump the gas: with self-serve, hundreds of customers handle the pump every day. :confused:

Either way, you still have to deal with a credit card touch pad, I don't think any stations have tap-and-go. :(

We're driving about 15kms a week, and have a fullish tank, should be ok till the dust settles. (y)

3. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes. well, the service station lobby started pushing for this weeks ago, claiming they could not get workers.

In the meantime, the "Other Lobby" charged the station owners with falsehoods regarding availability of workers....

Service stations have pushed for decades to allow self-serve. But, the few times it comes up for a vote, it is readily voted down.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Coquitlam, BC is an isolated bastion of full-serve only; filled up here maybe twice in 30 years. :whistle:

5. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When I went to college out of state, had to have friends show me how to fill the tank with gasoline. :rolleyes:

It is a "first job" for many people and a good haven for those folks who may have made mistakes in life and who are trying to get back on track. I appreciate not having to get out in the cold rain and snow (although, actually 99 percent of the time I get out of my vehicle anyway, just to stretch).

Studies have shown it does not raise price of gasoline significantly.

noonm, Kenny boy and Mendel Leisk like this.
  6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Considering the massive layoffs of the past couple weeks, there really shouldn't be a labor shortage.

Have these studies taken into account the fuel tax differences vs the neighboring comparison states?

7. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  8. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Gas stations were some of the first to have tap and go here. Granted, it was through a chain exclusive keychain widget.

The time I had gotten out of the car at a NJ station, I saw the attendant not wait to let the last ounce or so drain from the nozzle, and got on the side of the car. Not much, but how cars does he fill in a day?

9. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not thinking that not waiting to let the last of the fuel drain from the nozzle is not a big deal here. One of the complaints that is common is that when people go into Oregon stations, there are not enough attendants and they have to wait a few extra minutes. Normally, there is a minute or so wait before an attendant gets to your car and then another wait until they get back to your car after the auto shut-off clicks the pump off.

Also, with attendants, they follow the law (at least in my experience) and do not top-off. I would assume topping off would increase dramatically with self-serve, along the accompanying consequences.

Why topping off your gas tank is a bad idea

10. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    IIRC, a significant cost at self-serve stations is lialbilty insurance. Apparently Joe Public is known to do lots of stupid things at the pump -- which comes back and bites the station owner.

noonm likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    funny how it's not a problem for most of the country

Trollbait likes this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've seen one-in-particular full-serve antic that was pretty nuts. Gallons of gushing gas.

fuzzy1 likes this.
  13. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    While my own Oregon attendant-induced gusher was less than a quart, that and a couple other negative Oregon attendant experiences in my early adulthood strongly drove my opposition to it, avoiding filling up there whenever possible for many years.

And two weeks after self service was legalized in small counties, I gladly exercised the option. Legally, at least. A previous time, from a combination of my forgetfulness and the attendants being swamped at the other island, I fully completed a fillup and didn't remember / get caught until heading inside to pay. And the responding attendant was very confused about me claiming to have already filled up.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  14. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In danger of sounding obtuse, can I say I think this whole thing smacks of over reaction?

For decades I supported the attendants pumping gas.
    Recently, my opinion has changed, and I've wished Oregon would change to self-serve.
    This was all BEFORE the recent Corona Virus situation.

I'm not too worried about these changes.

" A gas station may offer self-service without an attendant present ONLY if there are not any employees available to work. "

It sounds more like a preventative change in policy, based on a projected hypothetical that gas stations could suddenly find themselves with a limited labor pool.
    I would be surprised if we reach a majority, where most stations can't find attendants willing to work.

The challenge is in trying to maintain social distancing, and keeping the attendant and the vehicle owner as safe as possible. But my guess is in Oregon, this doesn't expedite or result in a major shift to "Self Service".

These are unique and strange times, but I'm guessing for the most part, gas will still be pumped by attendants, perhaps following stricter protocols concerning interaction and contact between individual customers.

Recently however, I caveat everything by saying I'm not sure. I would not of foreseen or guessed that many things that are now happening, would of happened if you had asked me just weeks ago.

In any case, I trust there will be a way for me to refuel....and I'm going to worry about other things right now.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    refuel for what...

16. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey, driving is a self contained operation, that by default keeps me separated/at least 6ft away from others around me.

I'm not for burning fuel for fuels sake. But I will admit to jumping in the car and enjoying a purely site seeing drive, during these trying self isolation times.

Stevewoods likes this.
  17. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yep

18. noonm

noonm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus

Thankfully, fuel pump lines have been appropriately designed to break off without spilling gas in these situations. However, the picture montage in the video shows how frequently they still occur.

19. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So...now I'm "allowed" to pump my own gas, check my own tire pressures, check my own battery terminals, check my own fluids, check my own lights, check my own wiper blades and do my own walk around?

That's B.S.

Next thing you know...they will "allow" me to change my own fluids/filters, change my own bulbs, change own battery, change my own wiper blades and rotate/inflate my own wheel assys. when needed.

Sorry...couldn't resist. ;)

#19 frodoz737, Mar 30, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  20. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You are in Texas, one of the 50+ states and territories that never disallowed it.

The Electric Me likes this.