1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hospitals are becoming death processing factories...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Georgina Rudkus, Apr 3, 2020.

1. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Watching videos what's happening has scared me into self isolating...

New York City appears to be a precursor of what is to come to my local hospital.

I see individuals waiting hours in line for test and beds in the corridors of emergency rooms waiting someone to die and to be placed in a refrigerated trailer out the door.

If you don't have Covid 19, you might be likely or even sure to get it.

NOT for me. I will self isolate. And, if I contract it, I might want to die at home.

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    New York City = 28,000 people per square mile.
    Manhattan = ~67,000 people per square mile.

Irmo (my neck of the woods) = 1,800 people per square mile.
    My entire area is residential with 2 to 5 acre lots.

I'm still going to work every day as I'm in a DHS designated 'infrastructure critical facility' or whatever it's called now. I have a letter in my car to provide the po-po if pulled over since Columbia has a bit of a lockdown going on. (I keep thinking "Show me your papers" with an old German accent.)

I'm following all common sense procedures for being careful about exposing myself, unneeded travel, social distancing, etc but I'm not ready to completely lock myself up yet. Then again, it probably wouldn't be much different than my 'normal' anti-social hermit ways....

Kenny boy, AzWxGuy and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    my daughter and son in law live in manhatten. like most things media, the idea is to cause some type of over reaction and even panic, or you could call it click bait.

the hospitals were unprepared, but for most of the population, it isn't an issue. yet.

dubit likes this.
  4. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    We've been shelter in residence since 3/16 and where I work the "nonessential" folks have been working from home since 3/13.

I was performing an essential role for a couple of weeks, now rotated out the nonessential side. I had a similar letter that is printed and in our Prime;).

Never got stopped but ready if I was:).

Keep physical distance, wash your hands and stop touching face. Seems simple, right:whistle:?

Stay at home to protect others(y).

Georgina Rudkus likes this.
  5. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Not panicking. Just preparing.

6. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    My current line of work ceased to exist on March 12 so there hasn't been anything to go out for. My wife just got the bad news about her job yesterday. She still has 12 days of quarantine to go before she comes home.

I'm about to go out to pick up "contactless" groceries off a curb, hope it works.

The hospitals here aren't busy yet but this town is known for being full of older folks; the hospital is very much built to support an aged population. They'll be busy enough.

7. George W

George W Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You say that you're watching videos. Are you watching videos of people waiting in line, or are you physically present to watch people waiting hours in line?

8. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Exactly. The pictures of patients in the hospital hallways are no different than from before the pandemic. I've seen it myself on those rare occasions where I've had to go to the hospital. Overcrowded hospitals in the NYC metro area is not news.

bisco likes this.
  9. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Maye not, but five refrigerated trailers lined up side by side in the back is not normal even for New York City.

noonm and RRxing like this.
  10. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'm smiling:

NASDAQ: TSLA
    Following
    513.46 USD +58.99 (12.98%)

Bob Wilson

11. ice9

ice9 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Take half of those and pack them in a subway. You get what you have today: A human petri dish.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i suppose if you live rurally, you might have had a false sense of security up until now, i don't know.

around here, it's been all hands on deck for quite some time. we've been shelter in place since we got back from florida on march 15th. and even there, before anyone had a clue, we were being as careful as possible.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    all that being said, you don't want to get sick enough to have to go to a hospital if you can help it.

biggest thing for us is groceries. the stores are full of virus. we have been able to get delivery so far, but if we have to go shopping, there's not much you can do but wear a mask, look for a quiet time/store, and make it in and out as quick as possible.

14. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hospitals are becoming death processing factories...

This is why you should always "go ugly early" in a Pandemic.
    When a bug has a 14-day festering period before it goes turbo, the sooner you put limits on people's stupidity the fewer refrigerator trucks you'll need to park outside of ERs.
    This is THE REASON why city mayors and state governors have very broad powers where public health are concerned.

People seem to forget that the PRC essentially shut down parts of their nation to get their death rate under control......maybe......if you can believe their BS.....and their "lockdowns" looked VERY DIFFERENT than ours do now....mostly because we essentially don't have any "Stay At Home" orders in place....YET.

They're more like.....stay at home "suggestions"....unless you have to go to work....get groceries...care for (an infected?) relative....get gas....pay the electric bill....get a red-box rental....pick up a prescription.....return Aunt Flossy's Tupperware bowl....or just go for a drive.

If the sight of a refrigerated 18-wheeler parked in front of a hospital doesn't close down ALL BUSINESSES to inside customers.....they're going to need more trucks.

I drove by a local Wally to get curb-side groceries, and the parking lot was FULL....because all of the first of the month shoppers were scratching around inside the store looking for butt-wipe....with kids in tow....

Two Weeks.
    Cant fix stupid......

#14 ETC(SS), Apr 3, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
    AzWxGuy and Georgina Rudkus like this.
  15. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    NYC...maybe no
    Chicago...hmmmmm

just kidding. Crazy situation for sure.

16. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Unless you're one of the people that bought during the spike to $950, then you're probably ready to throw yourself out a window...

Although, I guess anyone who was playing the market a month ago is probably hating life

17. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I just looked across the street. There are six vehicles in the garage, in the driveway and on the curb. Evidently, they are out of work and used the time to get together for a family party. Granddad and children three or four years old can be seen playing together. The same happened las night at the other neighbor on the corner.

That's why the are future candidates for the refrigerated trailers parked outside the hospital.

#17 Georgina Rudkus, Apr 3, 2020
  18. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    People always say that until they start getting short of breath and can't say it any more.
    Then they start scratching their way to a phone to dial 911.

A dear relative has asthma...so I've done the 'theory-to-practice' on that.
    I said recently IN THIS FORUM that the bug might kill me but it cannot scare me...and mostly, it doesn't.
    UNTIL I recently heard a young nurse crying in frustration at having to intubate a panicked 40-something male patient that reminded her of her daddy.
    That rattled my smug sense of invulnerability and self sufficiency.
    If I gotta go, then I gotta go.
    Can't say I WANT to, but I got a better shake in this life than many others.

HOWEVER (COMMA!!!) I don't want to take a 24-year-old single mom with me.......

We've been mostly welded in place except for my working for about two weeks now.
    I'll get called out in the middle of the night sometimes to fix something in am empty office.
    I have to travel during the day from office to office but even then I try to keep it to 'essential trips only' for work.....and I mostly touch nothing but gas pumps (I treat them like they have alien blood on them!)
    (>50 cases in my county and no deaths)

With the exception of dashing into a nearly empty grocery store last Sunday to get some items I've been staying out of stores....but I was on a call out last night until 0100 to city some 50 miles away.........and they were fairly busy. :mad:

Word's not getting out effectively yet.
    They're gonna need more trucks.

THREE WEEKS from now....

#18 ETC(SS), Apr 3, 2020
  19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    my son is building a house. last friday, his contractor called and said they couldn't work because of sah.

a day later, the contractors wife posted a pic on instagram of them partying in their garage with about 20 other people.:rolleyes:

noonm and Mendel Leisk like this.
  20. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A