1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hot charging cable

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by PA Prius, Aug 5, 2018.

1. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I purchased my '12 at a Nissan dealer fifteen months ago. It was noted that it didn't come with a charging cable. After we agreed on the deal I asked if they were sure they didn't have a cable. He checked and found a used one from a Leaf that he gave me. It has been working fine. However I noticed this weekend when I unplugged it from the outlet to take on a trip that the outlet was scorched brown. I then checked and after charging the car for just 20 minutes the short 8" cable between the outlet plug and the EVSE box was so hot I couldn't keep my fingers on it. What would be causing this?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds like a bad outlet, probably time to replace it, they do wear out.

jerrymildred likes this.
  3. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    And that would cause the cable to get hot?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, a poor connection can fry everything. you could even have a fire, don't use that outlet.

PA Prius and Pluggo like this.
  5. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The other outlet in the same receptacle should be okay, right? I'll give that a try tomorrow.

6. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Your car draws more power for far longer than most 110 volt electrical loads in your house.

Your 110 volt cable should draw 12 amps for 3 hours through a dedicated GFCI outlet. More than enough to burn down your house. (Now is the time NOT to burn down your house)

If a qualified electrician says you have a dedicated GFCI outlet that is not overheating, then the 'found' cable is not serving you well.

If your electrician does not like the current outlet, I would install a 220 v 20 amp dedicated circuit.

www.amazon.com/BougeRV-Portable-Electric-Charging-compatible/dp/B07BM1XT4Q

This cable can be 110 volt like now, or 220 volt, which will speed up charging time.

#6 JimboPalmer, Aug 5, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  7. Pluggo

Pluggo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Open the outlet and check for slightly loose connections, and if the outlet is wired using the quickie-connector insert holes on the back, you certainly ought to move the wires to the regular screws so they can handle the load better. Consider replacing the outlet since that much over-heating might have compromised the insides.

jerrymildred likes this.
  8. gallde

gallde Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The other respondents are ignoring the other, equally-plausible explanation, which is that the PLUG on the EVSE cable is poorly connected. Any resistance - caused by dirt, corrosion, or a loose screw - in either the outlet or the plug can generate lots of heat.

jerrymildred likes this.
  9. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Those who hinted at a loose connection are right. And, as @Pluggo said, make sure the receptacle is NOT using those little quickie wire inserts. There's almost no surface area contact there. If that outlet is daisy chained from another one, check there, too.

Something no one mentioned yet is the other end. Make sure the terminal in the breaker box is tight.

So, the list is loose connection in:
    receptacle (worn out grip or else bad wire connection)
    plug on the EVSE
    bad connection in another outlet feeding this one
    circuit breaker

One unlikely possibility is that the wires from the breaker to the outlet are too small. It's rare, but I do have some stories.

Yea Right likes this.
  10. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks all. It is pointing toward a problem with the plug/EVSE. I tried another Level 1 charger in the same outlet and it only got slightly warm. I tried the problematic EVSE via an extension cord so the short cord coming out of the EVSE could be straight instead of hard angle-- still got hot.

This is a GFCI outlet. Two such outlets on 20 amp breaker. Only one outlet used at a time. House/electrical system are 15 years old. I haven't dug into the outlet to check the connections.

I also have a 50 amp dedicated line going to the L2 charger for our Bolt.

11. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It does sound like a bad EVSE, I linked one earlier new; or you could try ebay/craigslist. (Ebay is not any cheaper than Amazon)

12. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I can use the Level 1 that came with our Bolt. The Level 2 we are using on our Bolt is the same one as you had linked. Picked it up used for $100. and it works fine. Only 16 amp, and Bolt could take more, but works for us.

jerrymildred likes this.