1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hot Coolant Transfer Pump issues, part 2

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jeromep, Dec 5, 2005.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, I'm surprised he didn't even know about the mechanical release...

Heck, when I asked the service manager that I wanted to extend the fade out time for the interior lights from 15 to 30 sec, he replied with "you can do that?!?"

2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

Sad that that is the expertise that exists in most dealerships. You have to really question Toy Canada's lack of preperation for hi tech vehicles showing up in show rooms. Wife just got the notice to update the HV but it doesn't expire till Dec 2008 so might just wait a "while" as it's supposed to correct stalling and it's never stalled since she bought it in Nov of 2003. They killed the HV ECU when they tried to do the origional update and installed a new ECU. I told her to not consider doing this update. At least your driving it as opposed to nothing.

3. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    lol. The technician told me this update was for the stalling update. Weird.

4. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I'm supprised nobody mentioned the jump terminals under the hood. A prius dealer, and certainly a Prius tech should know about that. Once the car is placed in READY, it will charge the 12V battery itself.

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Apparently not. If so, they would've broken that black cover so either way, I'll end up with something broken. I haven't been able to remove the black cover myself.

6. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Not hard, and something you should be familar with. There are fuses under there as well, which someday you might need to replace.

7. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    sigh... another one giving techs a bad name...

sorry you had to put up with that bs. but really... there are guys who give a damn about their work out there.

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Dan, I only can get 3 sides of it off, I'm not sure what's holding the fourth side.

galaxee, yeah it's a shame. Honestly, should I even bother telling him that he didn't put the dash back together properly and send the car back (again :() and have him fix it or should I attempt to do it myself?

9. Frank Hudon

bring it over and I'll show you how to remove and install it properly. email or pm we can set up a time.

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    well just tell me. It'll save me a trip across town

11. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    1. when facing the fuse panel under the hood from the front of the car, follow the cover to the farthest down point toward the headlight, and feel along the front edge abour 3/4 inch down (sorry don't know cm well enough :lol:) you'll feel a small, flat spot that sticks up. push in and lift. as soon as that pulls free, just pull the cover off. ignore the other 3, and when you put it back, put it back from the opposite side that you took off. and there's a little red flap you have to release if you want to use the jump start terminal.

2. the only reason a prius certified tech is required to work on the car is during ecu reflashes (and you can't hold scantool software problems against them, as i've preached on and on about and i'm sure you're sick of hearing) and during high-voltage system work. any other situation (body noise, suspension work, normal service, etc) can be done by anyone.

however, sounds like noone at all is familiar with the prius up there. at least where DH works they have an owner to go ask when they have a question- many places don't have that kind of person hanging around.

12. Frank Hudon

just lift the front of it up it's on a pivot at the back. But you still owe me a latte'

13. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    And, Tideland, the red cover pivots but doesn't come off, so don't break it off by mistake. The bolt the cover exposes is very difficult to put a clamp on, but fortunately the Prius engineers thought to put a metal buss up the back side (away from the front) so you can clamp on that.

14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, thanks for the replies!

I'll try your method galaxee. I didn't know it pivots, I was expecting to remove the whole cover!

Frank, I haven't forgotten!

Bill, tell that to my Prius Tech, he broke that red cover in the back! Grrr. If you missed the post up there, he also broke the battery compartment cover cause he didn't know there was a mechanical release for the hatch when the battery dies to he had to charge it from the inside.

15. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    No offense to Galaxee and her esteemed spouse, nor to Rick or IFixEm, but maybe we need a new term for these fellows who don't know their burro from a burrow: Prius Dreck.

16. philmcneal

philmcneal Taxi!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    lol so many prius noobs! soon i'll be part of the elite in the lower mainland! That's cool they'll be losing a lot of buisnesses! I love reading threads like this, give me more!!