1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hot temps and Prius battery questions

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by GaryHere, Aug 4, 2014.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not exactly sure if it's the chem, the quality, or some other factors. but the consensus seems to be that the II was built like a tank to prove the reliability of the system, and the III was built to improve efficiencies and reduce cost.

2. GaryHere

GaryHere Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Ah ok that makes sense. The only affordable ev car I know that the engineers did a great job with protecting the battery really good is the Volt.

It's not air cooled, it's liquid cooled and cycles on if the SOC is high enough even when sitting in a hot parking lot and when its plugged in.

I think Tesla also has liquid cooled batteries as well.

3. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's not prius specific, but no doubt still applies.

Nickel–metal hydride battery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

#23 Former Member 68813, Aug 5, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Friendly jacek, I kept trying, finally got the hang of XGauge entry, added battery temp! ;)

Just went around the block a couple of times, one with windows up and AC (set to 25C), one with the system off and windows down.

Obviously a very small sample, dropped to 80F with AC (was 84F at the outset) and after AC shutdown climbed back to 82F. So there appears to be a cause-and-effect there.

Thanks for the tip, will be trying this out more, and exploring other XGauges I'm sure. ;)

kronos89 likes this.
  5. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Have said this in another post, if you take it apart to clean it and you use compressed air hold onto the fan and don't let it spin. It can generate a current and blow its circuitry.

6. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You can, but they don't feel pain!;)

7. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've also said this in another post. It cools significantly better if you set it to flow-through not recirc. Tested this and posted the results.

8. GaryHere

GaryHere Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    So is there a sensor in the fan to turn on to cool the battery at a certain temperature?

Would this also work to warm it in the winter as well?

9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ^ There's a temperature sensor somewhere in vicinity of the hybrid battery, and yes it's controlling the fan. It would only be for cooling.

10. kronos89

kronos89 CHRRYPRL

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    How did you find the xgauge for the battery temp?? i have a scangauge 2

11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ^ First hit if you google "xgauge". ;)

X-Gauge Commands : Linear Logic - Home of the ScanGauge

There's a column down the right side of page, go to "Toyota... specific", and follow the trail. There's basically 5 entries you need to do. The controls on the Scangauge are rudimentary, but sufficient.

And first hit if you google "youtube xgauge data entry":

(The above was really helpful, nothing like a hands-on demonstration. The first steps, getting into XGauge entry were a little different for me, but similar. It's explained in the manual (paper or pdf).)

#31 Mendel Leisk, Aug 6, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  12. kronos89

kronos89 CHRRYPRL

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Awesome! learn something new today.. Thanks mendel.. now i have to find a good spot for the scan gauge lol

13. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I must have misread something because I thought someone said just the opposite.

14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Now I have to find a good space for the second one..., once I load up all these XGauges. Just kidding, have just the one, so far...

It's a bit overwhelming though, looking through the available Xgauges. It's going to turn me into a hypochondriac, I think. Seriously, Inverter Coolant temp looks interesting, I might add that one next.

15. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Where does the air to cool the battery go after it passes over the battery, and when there has been air passed over the battery where does the fan continue to draw from?

16. energyandair

energyandair Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Not necessarily! Opposite opinions are not unheard of here.

What Feri said makes sense to me. If you set to flow through, the a/c fan will be drawing air from outside and slightly pressurizing the cabin. The air will need to escape from the cabin and will follow the easiest routes. If the windows are closed, the path through the battery fan may be the easiest route. You can think of it as a mild turbocharge for the battery fan!

17. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That was my thinking all along until I read the opposite. I'm going back to using A/C the way I always have, recirc initially to cool down, then flow-through.

18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Does anyone know what constitutes good temperatures for the hybrid battery. I've added the XGauge for battery temp to my ScanGauge.

Highest I've seen is 86F, fairly extensive drive today, without AC. It often seems highest right at start up, when the car's been run for a while, then sat. I switched on AC once, but not for very long, and temp drop about 3F.

It was pretty mild temps, almost springlike, not really that hot. It seems like the temperature can be held pretty constantly around 84~86F, I'd assume due to the battery fan.

19. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am tracking BT2 battery temperature and BFM battery fan motor using a Scanguage II for last 8000 miles. AC on vs windows down does seem to help HV battery cool down, at the expense of a noticeably decreased mpg. If I am correct, The increased HV batter cooling is ultimately fueled by the increased gasoline consumption of the ICE --> mg1 --> DC-DC converter --> AC compressor.
    Since BFM shuts off completely when the ignition is turned off, I have noticed the biggest spikes in HV battery temps after doing mountain driving in the summer, then stopping for 30-60 minutes to eat , after which I find BT2 at 44-48 degrees Celsius, which is quite high, but with AC on the BFM will kick in at level 4 and gradually decreases the HV temp to the normal 35-40 degrees Celsius range.
    Bottom line: my experience confirms using AC as method to reduce high HV battery temps. (YMMV, but I would like to see empirical data from other folks.)

20. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Make sure you have the current newest chips for your Scanguage II. I could not get mine to work until I sent my unit in to manufacture to be upgraded to the newest chipset for $25. Then I tediously used new instruction book and the Xgauge query codes given in that spreadsheet I found on Priuschat to program the new "gauges". I use BT2 for HV temp as that sensor runs hottest , and BFM to track the battery fan motor power setting from 0-6 on my Gen 3. It works well; I might be older and certainly less nimble than you!

Mendel Leisk likes this.