1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hot temps and Prius battery questions

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by GaryHere, Aug 4, 2014.

1. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm on summer #6 w/ my 2010 Prius in Arizona. I find that if the BT2 sensor is above 121°F (50°C), that the car goes into some sort of battery protection mode. ICE will run continuously to support running the A/C and regen will cease to function (B-mode will push max 10A). Strangely, my battery fan isn't spinning like mad at this temp either, only once the cabin cools a bit. The charge meter on the MID's HSI will lie (it's more of an indication of regen request), and friction braking is called immediately (per ScanGauge FRI Xgauge). At around 118°F (48°C), it'll start accepting about 20A max. At about 115°F (46°C), normal behavior returns with 70-90A max regen, depending on A/C load, before friction braking kicks in.

I've noticed this more over the last two summers than the summers previous, and at nearly 70,000 miles, I'm wondering if it's age, or if it's an ECU reflash that changed the behavior. Either way, it keeps my normally high 40MPG/low 50MPG into the low 40MPG range (you can see the impact in my Fuelly graphs over the past two summers with dips into the low-mid 40MPG range).

And for whomever thought the chemistry is different, Gen II and Gen III use identical battery modules. The only difference was improved cooling on Gen III to allow higher peak power draw.

kc410 and Robert Holt like this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Where would the difference lie, between BT2 (Cell Temperature Sensor 2, from PriusChat's spread sheet) and BtT (Traction Battery Temp, from ScanGuage's website). I'm gleaning from Robert Holt and HTMLSpinner that BT2 is going to read higher.

3. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    There are three battery temp sensors; BT1 is closest to cooling fan and electronics, BT2 is in the middle and BT3 is at the other end. BT2 is typically the hottest which makes sense being in the middle. The cooling fan speed is controlled by the hottest sensor. BtT is the temp of the cooling air as it is drawn in from the cabin vent and blown through the batteries. It is located in the cooling duct between the cooling fan and the first battery module.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Temps over 45C cause accelerated damage to the NiMH batteries. Besides the AZ thing, how do you drive to manage such high HV temps? Have you checked the fan?

5. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have one "gauge" slot dedicated to BFM, and supposedly the range is 0-6, but the max we've observed is level 4 when the bt2 had spiked to 47 Celcius after the car was parked after mountain hot weather driving for several hours. Have not seen BFM of of 5 or 6.

6. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    My vehicle is parked in direct sun (no covered parking) both at work and at home. The solar roof does keep ambient air cooler during mid-day, but most of this is just from sitting in the AZ heat. As I drive, the batter only tends to get cooler as the fan starts doing its job, and will usually settle in between 108-112°F. I have tried closing the tonneau cover, but that only reduces the radiant effect slightly on the battery cover. Note: my windows are *not* tinted.

Driving wise, the ECUs will rely on engine power only when really hot which is essentially like Gen1 turtle mode. When midly overheated, the car feels sluggish and acceleration comes in delayed surges. Bear in mind that we're running at 1500-1650 Watt A/C load too (in Eco mode) with the cabin temps set between 76-78°F. That alone forces the ICE to run at stop.

I recently opened up the fan and ductwork as I was growing more concerned about this behavior too. There's no obvious lint, hair or dirt, and the fan itself was surprisingly clean. I will watch BFM from time to time to confirm the fan behavior too, and have seen it running at a 5 or 6 once the A/C starts cooling the cabin. At initial startup, it does not run much at all. I'll watch it again to see what speed it's running at during this state as I'm guaranteed to see it again for another couple of months.

7. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    An example. I took some video as well which I'll edit down, but the fan didn't start for the first 5 or so minutes, and batt temps went from 44 to 48°C, and as high as 49°C. At one point, the A/C was cut as I accelerated in an effort to temp shed load. Acceleration was quite sporadic (surging) too. Photo below shows BFM at 0, ad BT2 at 44°C shortly after starting. Outside temp was 104°F, and the car is parked in the sun.

IMG_20140810_144617.jpg

8. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a similar situation parking in the sun all day. I see the similar 5 minute delay after start before the cooling fan starts.

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hell I'll never get the fan to go on. Had a high of 30C on BT2, and 0 for BFM. It has gone on, I see a few seeds and bugs in the filter I have at the inlet.

10. Former Member 68813

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is weird. Is the cabin air temp initially too high to cool the battery?
    From the description, I would be surprised if the battery made it before warranty expired, which would be actually a good thing.

11. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    In a way, I'm silently hoping for the same. I don't like being the exception, but I would also rather not foot the bill for a hybrid battery at 105k miles or 8.5 years.

I captured a 20 minute drive on camera, and trimmed it down to 10 mintues looking at a ScanGauge II. Probably boring for most, but it takes 4-5 minutes for the fan to even turn on, and another 1-2 for it to ramp up to full speed. I also tested the fresh vs. recirc theory. All that did was drive up A/C load (I saw 2000W on fresh in Eco mode).

Toward the end, there's evidence of load shedding under acceleration when showing AC power too as it briefly drops to zero when the inverter pulls 50A from the battery.

12. Former Member 68813

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good video. I experienced overheated battery only once when my wife drove the car very hard (the only way she knows to drive) and then parked in full sun in the middle of day. When I drove it later, I had the same thing, no battery assist, ICE revving high and not turning off. Cooling fan on high speed (I don't remember the 5 min delay though). The behavior persisted for entire 30 min drive and somehow the fan was not able to bring the temp down despite AC on. Sounds like the battery is very susceptible to heat soak.

For this and other reasons, I go out of my way to park in shade as much as I can. Not always possible, but I had no other episodes of overheating since.

13. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    For me the cabin temp is high, high 90's or low 100's, and to start I have the windows open to expel the superheated air. It takes a couple of minutes of driving to cool down the cabin to the point the AC is beginning to blow cold air. Even after closing the windows and the AC beginning to cool the cabin the cabin temps are still in the high 80's.

It seems that right about the 5 minute mark after starting the cooling fan will come on and begin cooling the batteries. It appears to have a 5 minute timer under these conditions and not necessarily a cabin temp setpoint. As Rick points out when the cooling fan does come on it is at minimun speed for about 1 minute before it begins to ramp up to set speed.

14. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Try your test with A/C recirc and then flow through. My experience was flow through mad it significantly cooler.

15. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    [QUOTE="Feri, post: 2052681, member: 77885]Try your test with A/C recirc and then flow through. My experience was flow through mad it significantly cooler.[/QUOTE]

My experience has been that if the cabin temp is close to setpoint then the outside air does appear to help with the battery cooling to some degree. If it is really hot outside and the cabin temp is above setpoint then if you switch from recirc to outside air there is an initial improvement in BtT but then the cabin temp begins to rise with the additon of hot outside air. The rise in cabin temp more than offsets the outside air flow. Not to mention the heavy increase in AC watts as the compressor tries to cool the outside air.

For my particular daily commute keeping AC in recirc works best for me.

Of course YMMV.

16. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I did this on video, however I did cut out my remark that I had switched to fresh air mid-way through the drive. The A/C running at 2000 watts was while the air was on fresh. It made no marked difference in battery temp, but did increase A/C load and thus, electrical consumption.

There are other paths for fresh air to exit the vehicle in the rear quarters besides through the battery. The battery vents into the spare tire well.

jdcollins5 likes this.
  17. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Temps aren't anywhere near as hot here in Minnesota, but the videos I've started to make at least provide a basis for understanding the elements at play with respect to heat... like this one:

18. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I don't question your observations, (I'll re-test mine once it warms up here.) but I'm wondering where else air vents from the vehicle if not through the wheel well, and where does fresh air, to replace the evacuated air, come from if not through the front ventilation inlets?

19. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    An open window? :-P

Even in recirc mode, the damper is not completely blocking the fresh inlet in normal operations unless you use the "extra filtering" button on the HVAC.

I would agree that the path of least resistance is via the battery vent should it be unobstructed. But we need temp data from all sensors to validate that one mode over another indeed makes a difference over time.

John, what are you using to overlay this data? Torque?

20. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I export Torque data into CSV format...
    import it into a mail-merge template in Word...
    save the merge results as a DOCX document...
    convert that to a PDF document...
    export each page as a PNG file...
    build an photo album in PowerPoint...
    export that as a video file.

It's surprisingly simple, despite sounding rather complex. The catch is, you need quite a bit of computer power and software to accomplish that.

HTMLSpinnr likes this.