1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hot traction battery

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by SmellyTofu, Jan 20, 2020.

1. SmellyTofu

SmellyTofu Average punter

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    This problem I’ve been noticing a bit for this summer (Southern Hemisphere Australia) where the battery would heat up quite quickly and at times go above 46C to then go into protect mode. Today was a 26C day, no A/C on and going about my business to and from work (6km drive) where it’s heat up from 33C to 46C. Fan speed doesn’t really go up either without forcing it to fan speed 6 but it does blow hot air when I put my hand at the air outlet.

Fan vents was cleaned several years ago but the car (Apr 09 build) has only done 58000km so it’s a low mileage car. When I checked the fan at the time, I really didn’t need to clean it as it was clean as a whistle but I’ll open up the area again this weekend to check.

Has anyone experienced this?

2. Too Old to Clean EGR

Too Old to Clean EGR Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have not experienced this problem, but I understand that high battery temperatures in the absence of other issues may presage traction battery failure. Since your scanner is showing the battery temperature, does it also show battery cell voltages? There are other posts that say what the voltages should be in various situations.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe a bad temp sensor? you would think the fan would be racing before protection mode

4. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Experience has show that HV batteries don't like high temps, low use and short trips and yours has experienced these for several years. Mine under similar circumstances failed at 9 years with only 42k miles.

Start looking into battery replacement choices there down under.

GOOD LUCK!!