1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

House of Dobson crumbling?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by livelychick, Mar 13, 2007.

1. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    So okay, I admit that I'm biased and I think Jim Dobson is a crock. But I also think Richard Land is a crock, too, and he seems to be disagreeing with Dobson on this one.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17553246/site/newsweek/

Are we finally seeing a crumbling of the religious right, at least over this "stewardship" issue? I'm hopefully optimistic...(isn't that redundant?) :)

2. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(livelychick @ Mar 13 2007, 03:33 PM) [snapback]404943[/snapback]</div>
    Oh oh. I'm a tree hugger. And I dislike Dobson...so I guess I'm on his hit list...

3. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

Good to see you two follow Dobson. Maybe one day some of him will rub off on ya'll. :lol:

4. micheal

micheal I feel pretty, oh so pretty.

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJandGENESIS @ Mar 13 2007, 04:41 PM) [snapback]404976[/snapback]</div>
    I have a feeling Dobson would be much more concerned about your religious beliefs, but that is a whole other thread discussion. :D

From what I have been able to find online, Dobson has went off the deep end on this one. And if it makes you feel any better livelychick, there are already a lot of religious conservatives who take the stewardship interpretation to Genesis 1:28. If I already had a picture of my bumper sticker, I would post a link to it, but I don't want to go to all that trouble right now. (Basically it has a picture of a bible and says "Stewardship not Plunder: Genesis 1:28."

5. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(micheal @ Mar 13 2007, 08:24 PM) [snapback]405126[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, indeed.

I am not going to say I know Biblical prophecy, but when it talks about famine, disease, drought, pestalence, natural disasters, it may be talking about the unraveling effects of Global Warming depicted in An Inconvenient Truth (Mathew 24 if you care to look).

No, I'm not looking forward to such occurances.

6. boulder_bum

boulder_bum Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(livelychick @ Mar 13 2007, 12:33 PM) [snapback]404943[/snapback]</div>
    I'm what one might consider "religious right" (socially conservative, all for prayer in schools, voted for GW the first time around because of pro-life views, etc.) and I just bought my Prius last Saturday!

I think this quote from the article is pretty accurate, though:

"It's not so much that evangelicals are anti-green, it's that green is not a priority for them."

Even for me, my dislike of big oil, corporate political influence and all its consequences were more of a motivating factor for my purchase than the environment (though I do like the idea of being "green").

I think that a growing number of evangelicals are becoming disenchanted with Republicans, however, because they do little more than pander to evangelicals to win votes. I've personally grown disgusted with most Republicans (Bush especially) because they're bringing more evil into the world than they're taking out, both with the war and with exploitative trade policy, tax policy that serves to widen the growing wealth gap, and the destruction of social programs which help the poor and elderly.

I don't know the details of the issue the news article speaks of, but Dobson strikes me as the kind of Christian who treats Republicanism as Gospel. I'd speculate that the source of his frustration is that more and more Christians are starting to see the Christian value in what the Democrats have to offer.

7. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Dobson's main focus ... for the last 40 years or so ... has been "family issues". I think anything else is second tier to him. Focus on the Family doesn't support candidates in keeping with their tax-exempt charter, but they do have a political arm (the name escapes me at the moment).

Dobson has been consistent all these years, and has passed up the offers of a political career. His personal philosophy is that the Lord has created the ministry, and it will be in service until the Lord decides to close it down, so you don't get the kind of donation drives you get with other para-church ministries. I used to listen to his daily radio show when it was on a station here in LA during drive time.

Sports fans may remember Pete Maravich, and his untimely death. Dr. Dobson was there, and is the "religious leader" mentioned in the articles about Pete's death.

8. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(micheal @ Mar 13 2007, 11:24 PM) [snapback]405126[/snapback]</div>
    Frankly, Dobson is a menace, and one who should heed the words of Christ a bit more.

9. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boulder Bum @ Mar 13 2007, 11:28 PM) [snapback]405151[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for this perspective. While I don't share some of your views, it's refreshing seeing them explained in a non-caustic and thoughtful manner.

And I absolutely agree with your last paragraph. While he may have turned down a political career, he kinda has one anyway, and it does seem like he has two Gospels. Both sides have something to offer to Christians, and both sides go against Christian values, as well. I guess if you're a Christian, you just have to decide which side agree with YOUR values more.

Welcome to the Prius! I hope you're enjoying your new ride!

10. boulder_bum

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(livelychick @ Mar 14 2007, 08:27 AM) [snapback]405323[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks. In fact I love the new car and all it's efficiency and gagetry!

I'm already starting to grumble when I have to actually use a key to get into a car, and I'm looking forward to learning all the "hypermiling" tricks!

11. boulder_bum

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Interesting response from the National Association of Evangelicals:

Well said I think.

12. micheal

micheal I feel pretty, oh so pretty.

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJandGENESIS @ Mar 14 2007, 05:24 AM) [snapback]405257[/snapback]</div>
    You are obviously entitled to your opinion, but ultimately God is the only one who truly knows his heart.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boulder Bum @ Mar 14 2007, 12:28 AM) [snapback]405151[/snapback]</div>
    I would agree that the statement is pretty accurate. There are still some who scoff at the Prius in a Sunday School class, but it's all in good fun. I just remind them of my mpg :). For most I think they have other priorities higher on the list.

13. Loveit

Loveit New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(micheal @ Mar 15 2007, 12:19 AM) [snapback]405902[/snapback]</div>
    I agree with you!