1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

House OKs 'outrageous gas prices' bill

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by spideyman, May 24, 2007.

1. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ May 29 2007, 07:43 AM) [snapback]451398[/snapback]</div>
    lets see how these compare to the US...

Birth rates - I think you actually mean population growth rate here, and our's has been slowing down for decades.
    economic stagnation - check (our companies are growing more off shore than on. Even American companies produce most of their stuff elsewhere)
    immigration issues - check
    out of date healthcare - check

So half of what you said can easily be applied to America.... Just pointing out a few facts.
    Some of this i can agree with... However, you have to be pretty specific about the new drilling and refining - refining is great and appears to be the bottle neck right now. However, it's pretty difficult to "encourage" companies to build new refineries when it'll cost them billions and they won't even be able to start production for 5+years - who knows what such a volatile market will be doing then. As for drilling, they're already drilling in all the easily accessible places - and trust me, the oil companies don't need any more incentive to try to get more.

What were the republicans doing about it? Congress was run by them for most of the past 20 years... The democrats have had it for the past 6 months. I love how you expect the Democrats to be able to suddenly do a ton of stuff with a slim majority, short time, and a president that opposes them.

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    To me, this is just another example of attacking the supplier of the addiction without addressing the demand from the addict.

I personally feel that alcoholics are spending way too much of their income supporting their addiction and therefore we need to lobby the distilleries to lower their prices.
    Smokers are spending too much on cigarettes. Lung cancer should be more affordable. This is America, for God's sake!
    Let's all march on Washington to lobby the Columbian cartels to make cocaine more affordable.

President Bush has already admitted that "America is addicted to oil" (State of the Union, 1/31/2006) and he knows much better than I that admission is only the first step towards a cure. Nowhere in the 12 steps does it say that we should condemn the supplier of our addiction. It is all based on the individual; everyone is personally responsible for their actions.