1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Household LED Bulb Longevity

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by iplug, Sep 20, 2016.

1. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I posted on a related topic mid last year. Having acquired enough LEDs over the last few years, wanted to compare notes with likeminded PriusChatters who had been on the same mission to replace as many household bulbs with LEDs as possible.

As an early adopter of CFLs, I have found it disappointing that my LED bulbs have failed more quickly. These were marketed to last longer than CFLs. I still have a couple CFLs that were bought and used lightly to moderately since ~2003 and still work today. My rough guess for MTBF in my case for moderate use of CFLs was 7-8 years.

But 1/2 of LED bulbs I bought 4-5 years ago have already failed. A newer batch from the last 2 years is still largely running well.

Others have noted that this is primarily a (poor) thermal management issue.

Unfortunately @SageBrush went into self imposed exile nearly a year ago. There was a fellow with lots of interest in LEDs and called his skepticism early in their longevity when he said "save your receipts", IIRC.

So for others here, what has been your LED experience?

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    i have not had an LED fail, but all but 2 are only 2 years old. (Two, including one 5 years old, have no on/off switch, they run 24/7)

In the last two year I have been buying these: amazon.com/Philips-455469-Equivalent-SlimStyle-Dimmable/dp/B00LITBFDS

I like them and more importantly, my wife likes them

(I am slowly replacing the 137 CFLs as they fail)

iplug likes this.
  3. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    How have your CFL's held up?

4. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    We moved here in June 2002 and I figured out how to replace 78 Incandescent with CFLs. 5 have failed.
    Over time I replaced recessed bulbs and the fridge bulb (LED) so that the oven bulb is just about my only Incandescent.

My wife was not always happy with Florescents, and she is with Warm White LEDs, so when they got cheap they have been my bulb of choice. I have even replaced some 'tube' Florescents with LEDs amazon.com/TOGGLED-Simple-Ballast-Bypass-Installation/dp/B00X6BBU9U

5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    :eek:

Even counting 4 in a range hood, 3 in the fridge and freezer, 5 in a bath vanity, and expanded outdoor floodlights, I still can't count 50 lamps in my entire house (excluding some 12V LED accent lighting strips added where there was originally nothing.)

But this house never had any true recessed lighting. Some recent LED surface-mount fixtures replacing the original fixtures just vaguely resemble recessed lamps.

About a dozen CFLs remain. Many were retired early for LEDs, and either moved to dad's house or given to a much less well off acquaintance who could not afford CFLs when moving. The bath vanities won't be replaced until they are ready to be completely changed out with matching lamps.

#5 fuzzy1, Sep 20, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
  6. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I have 4 LEDs and a CFL in one bath room! (2 LEDs in another and 4 CFLs in the last)
    4 bedrooms with closets accounts for 28 more bulbs (25 CFLs and 3 tube Florescents)
    1 LED, 2 CFLs, and 10 tube Florescents in the garage.
    Two hallways with 2 closets 6 CFLs and a LED
    5 CFLs in the Dining room and 6 CFLs and 7 LEDs in the kitchen (3 Incandescents, Oven, Microwave, and in the door of the fridge)
    5 LEDS and 4 CFLs in the living room, and a CFL in the foyer.
    2 front porch LEDs and a backdoor LED
    2 LEDs and 2 CFLs on the deck and 8 CFL floodlights

25 LEDs, 54 CFLs, 13 tube Florescents, and 3 Incandescents just sitting here, who knows how many more I would find if I actually walked around the house.
    (Two more CFLs in the attic, did I count the stairway? I forgot at least 2 floor lamps!)

7. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    We have had 4-6 CFLs go bad in the last 8 years. Most others were replaced.
    Of the first gen LEDs, none have burnt out. Many were replaced a year ago (far better quality of light and more lumens).